Best time to not hit traffic in Washington DC Looking for info on driving from NY to Jacksonville fl on good Friday March 29

Bigmoose

Original Poster
Driving from NY to JAcksonville fl What I need help with is best time to leave, really can’t do over night but early morning I can I was thinking maybe 4 or 5 am really scared of hitting Washington DC traffic

jonabyte

What about leaving Thursday evening and stay overnight just outside Washington. We drive all the time, over on I75 mind you, and try to get the larger cities done late evening night and usually drive until 11pm or midnight the night before.
That looks like a hard stretch.:banghead:

FishyFishy

DC is not that bad until about 6:30 am. The best time to pass through would be 1-2 pm in the afternoon right after lunch, or around 10 am after the morning rush hour. Also, coming down from NY, there are several round about ways to avoid traffic here. See if you can plan to leave so that you would get here around then. Once you're through here and past Richmond, VA, the rest of the drive is a breeze! (I did it last year). Odd traffic pops up sometimes down in VA.

KeithVH

+1 to the previous post. If you're doing 95, it's really about the north side of Baltimore all the way down to Petersburg. Except late night, it will at least be heavy traffic all the way in most cases.

If you're coming through the eastern side, you might look at coming through Salisbury and the Delmarva, then grab 58 through Norfolk to get back on 95 near the border. Yeah it's an extra toll but a really great scenic drive and less traffic no matter what.

Bigmoose

Original Poster
What about leaving Thursday evening and stay overnight just outside Washington. We drive all the time, over on I75 mind you, and try to get the larger cities done late evening night and usually drive until 11pm or midnight the night before.
That looks like a hard stretch.:banghead:
Okay so know that’s what I’m thinking leaving NY at 6pm and plan on driving up until at least 1 or 2 am but do u think I should past virgina or just past Washington DC is enough to beat the traffic.

Bigmoose

Original Poster
+1 to the previous post. If you're doing 95, it's really about the north side of Baltimore all the way down to Petersburg. Except late night, it will at least be heavy traffic all the way in most cases.

If you're coming through the eastern side, you might look at coming through Salisbury and the Delmarva, then grab 58 through Norfolk to get back on 95 near the border. Yeah it's an extra toll but a really great scenic drive and less traffic no matter what.
So Petersburg is we’re I want to be thank u so much for the heads up so past it or just stop in that town is good asking because should I book a hotel in that town or the Next town over

Tony the Tigger

Okay so know that’s what I’m thinking leaving NY at 6pm and plan on driving up until at least 1 or 2 am but do u think I should past virgina or just past Washington DC is enough to beat the traffic.

That’s a good plan. DC is the worst. We often stayed in Fredericksburg, just south of there, reasonably priced, etc.

Bigmoose

Original Poster
Another question it will be Good Friday do u think after driving Thursday night And waking up Friday morning do u think I would hit traffic the rest of the way thinking of driving Thursday night past fedrickberg and starting around 9 or 10 am

Bigmoose

Original Poster

Another question it will be Good Friday do u think after driving Thursday night And waking up Friday morning do u think I would hit traffic the rest of the way thinking of driving Thursday night past fedrickberg and starting around 9 or 10 am

Bigmoose

Original Poster

Tony the Tigger

Most everything is still open on Good Friday since it's not a national holiday. So you still have rush hour traffic. Add to that, a lot of people travel for Easter, so there is additional traffic. I think you are very smart to start on Thursday and get a jump on things before they get crazy.

For me, Friday morning I would either go very early (like 5 or 6AM) or what you said, after 9AM (after most people have gotten to work or school and off the roads.) That gives you a chance to rest after driving late and still get a good jump on the day.

We are driving to Orlando the day after Easter, but we live in Fort Lauderdale now, so it's north instead of south and only about 3.5 hours. Still, we don't leave the house until around 10AM to avoid turnpike traffic down here and up there.

Bigmoose

Original Poster
Most everything is still open on Good Friday since it's not a national holiday. So you still have rush hour traffic. Add to that, a lot of people travel for Easter, so there is additional traffic. I think you are very smart to start on Thursday and get a jump on things before they get crazy.

For me, Friday morning I would either go very early (like 5 or 6AM) or what you said, after 9AM (after most people have gotten to work or school and off the roads.) That gives you a chance to rest after driving late and still get a good jump on the day.

We are driving to Orlando the day after Easter, but we live in Fort Lauderdale now, so it's north instead of south and only about 3.5 hours. Still, we don't leave the house until around 10AM to avoid turnpike traffic down here and up there.
Tony thank you again you’ve been great I really appreciate all the info I hope you have a wonderful vacationAnything else you can help me with just let me know please or think of

Lsperbs

We are planning to drive to chapel hill from northern NJ and after reading these posts I think we will drive Thursday night to Fredericksburg area to slee and go out again early to drive. Where would you recommend in that area? Does that sound like a good plan to avoid DC traffic and is Fredericksburg safe

Lilofan

We are planning to drive to chapel hill from northern NJ and after reading these posts I think we will drive Thursday night to Fredericksburg area to slee and go out again early to drive. Where would you recommend in that area? Does that sound like a good plan to avoid DC traffic and is Fredericksburg safe
I have stayed at the Quality Inn Fredericksburg I believe exit 130 right off I-95. It is clean, right off of the interstate and a number of restaurants one to two traffic lights away. Breakfast in the lobby served at 6am. You will going against traffic since most are driving to DC, you will be going the opposite way going south. Fredericksburg is safe from what I've seen. When you are driving south on 95 take the 295 loop to bypass Richmond. You will be thankful. Just be careful of the cops. They ( VA, Carolinas) hide in places where you don't expect. If you are stopped and they ask nonchalantly if they can take a look inside your vehicle exercise your rights. " I'm sorry officer, I do not give you consent to search my vehicle ". I've seen families on the side of the interstate while the deputy rips apart their vehicle.

Tony the Tigger

I have stayed at the Quality Inn Fredericksburg I believe exit 130 right off I-95. It is clean, right off of the interstate and a number of restaurants one to two traffic lights away. Breakfast in the lobby served at 6am. You will going against traffic since most are driving to DC, you will be going the opposite way going south. Fredericksburg is safe from what I've seen. When you are driving south on 95 take the 295 loop to bypass Richmond. You will be thankful. Just be careful of the cops. They ( VA, Carolinas) hide in places where you don't expect. If you are stopped and they ask nonchalantly if they can take a look inside your vehicle exercise your rights. " I'm sorry officer, I do not give you consent to search my vehicle ". I've seen families on the side of the interstate while the deputy rips apart their vehicle.
Fredericksburg was a regular stop for me going NJ>FL>NJ. Reasonably priced rooms, huge mall near the hotels off I-95, good jumping off point in the AM.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom