Best time to go in November/December?

draybook

We're looking at switching our trip time next year. The wife wasn't really feeling the Halloween partis ths year with all of the changes and she said something about going during the Christmas "season". We've been the first couple of weeks in December but that was back in 2009. I've heard or read before that the week before Thanksgiving is pretty good, crowd wise, and the Xmas stuff will be in gear. I'm really looking forward to going back in decent weather instead of sweating to death. Any guidance you guys can give as to which timeframe is better as far as crowds go?

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
We like going in the days between Thanksgiving and Christmas. All the Holidays decorations are up by then, we find the crowds manageable and the weather is cold(ish) but nice.

I was at WDW during the third week of August this year 🥵, so I'm looking forward to our next December visit just after Thanksgiving.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I've been many times in November and December and I do have to say that the first half of December isn't what it used to be.
We are going next year during the holiday season but haven't quite figured out when yet.
Last year we went December 7-11 and it was much more crowded than that time in 2015, 2013, and 2007.
I'm almost considering the time that falls a few days after Veterans Day and a few days before Thanksgiving.
I'd go during Thanksgiving because I have been during that time many times and my parents generally go during that time BUT the days that I'd go there would not be a Christmas party and that's a big deal to me.

Upvote 0

Mickey5150

Traditionally any time right after a school break is gonna be the lowest point you can find. Weekends in Epcot are crowded because of the candlelight processional and whatever they call the food booths for Christmas.

Upvote 0

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
There is a magical week (pun fully intended) in early November where you can hit both the end of Food & Wine and the beginning of Christmas season. For us, in 2018, that week was November 10-16. I had a wife that really wanted F&W and a mother who really wanted Christmas. I was able to make both of them happy, and that made me incredibly proud and happy.

Upvote 0

Touchdown

You’ve clearly done the F&W festival before if you’ve been to MNSSHP, Epcot does not start its Holiday Festival (and amazing Candlelight Processional) until Thanksgiving, it’s personally my favorite part of Christmas at WDW. I concur with the others stating early Dec, that’s when I go when going on a Christmas trip.

Upvote 0

wendysue

For years, we always went to WDW in November and usually got a good room price and not terrible crowds. But now..it is much busier and this November there is not a room to be had. I guess it must be because of Star Wars, but whatever the reason, we are not happy about it. I have never seen it so full. :(

Upvote 0

cdeev8690

I visited for the first time during the first week of December this past year and although I've definitely seen the parks more crowded, it was still pretty busy. Rope dropping is your best bet on all days. I think going in early December is ideal is great because Festival of Holidays will be in full swing and I really enjoyed that festival!

Upvote 0

Ricky Spanish

I wish we could go to WDW during the "slower" times, but my wife is a teacher and we have to follow the school calendar.
That being said, we went a few years ago during Thanksgiving week(Saturday to Saturday).
I was worried that the crowds were gonna be crazy, but it wasn't that bad.
The worst day was Friday, but it still was manageable.
Christmas decor was up and that was something we've never experienced at WDW.
And, I'm with you, draybook.
November weather is WAY better than June humidity.

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

We are going December 7-14, we like the cooler temps and I enjoy the Christmas shows at Epcot. I know the crowds will be as bad or worse that we normally have in the first half of December. I'm hoping that by going to MK on party nights we will have lower crowds and non party nights we will be at the other parks.

Upvote 0

Minnesota disney fan

Looks like we might actually be going the first two weeks of November. Reason being that we want to get one HHN included while still getting in some of the Disney Xmas atmosphere that starts around the 8th, I believe.
The first 2 weeks of November used to be our sweet spot to visit WDW. Then we tried 2nd week of December and that was great. All the decorations are up and even though crowded it was a great time to visit. When are there Not crowds at wDW now? It wasn't so crowded that we did not have fun, and we do not like it when it's really crowded. Speaking of that: We visited the week before Thanksgiving a few years ago because that's when the grandkids were out of school. We never go that time of year. Anyway, the crowds weren't too bad leading up to two days before Thanksgiving. Then it got crazy crowded. We left the day before and I am glad we did. I would never do that close to TG again. However, if you can get the week before plus a few days before, that would probably be a good time. Have fun!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom