Best time to buy DVC points - buying early?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
When is the best (cheapest) time to buy DVC points - many months in advance or at the last minute?
Umm, buying DVC points is a 40-50 year commitment, not a one time deal. The points cost is the points cost, there is no cheaper or more expensive time to buy points. Perhaps you are thinking of something else other than buying into DVC? I mean, you do know that it is a timeshare program where you are guying a real estate interest in a particular Disney DVC resort, don't you?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Sorry I mean DVC points on the resale market for one-off stays.
OK, you don't actually "buy" DVC points for that. You rent them either from a person or a business like Dave's. DVC resorts typically fill up sometimes months in advance depending on the time of year. Most of us make our reservations at 11 months out. If you are looking to rent DVC points for a stay, you really need to look at doing that at least 7 months out. Any less, and you may get into Saratoga Springs or Old Key West, and maybe Animal Kingdom Lodge. The closer you get to a date, the less that will be available.

Oh, and there still isn't any difference in the price. There is no cheaper for renting DVC points.

Phonedave

Just to expand a bit. As LuvtheGood said, you don't really see any difference in price paid, however some sites (including David's) will change a premium if you want to book more than 7 months out, because then they have to match specific inventory to that resort, as opposed to useing whatever contracts they have in inventory that matches the points the closest. But, once again, if you book inside the 7 month window, at popular times you may not get the resort you want.

Some places do run specials, when expiring inventory makes it necessary, but I have never seen anyone who has a set timtable and prices. You may be able to grab a bargin, at the last minute (within 2 months) if one exists, but one may never materilize, and you may not have any availability at all

-dave

dreamfinder

Outside of the premium @Phonedave mentioned about a premium paid on the 11 month booking period at certain resorts, the price shouldn't change. However, DVC may fill up if you wait to long, especially if you travel during busier times or during DVC lower point times. So when you know when you plan on traveling, I would submit the request at that point.

And when sites do offer discounts, that is on the points, there is no guarantee you will be able to get a booking to use those points. You may end up having to do a split stay as short term availability can be spotty at best, especially if you travel on the weekends.

Minthorne

Some owner sites like www.mouseowners.com have rent/trade boards where you can directly rent from members - sometimes it is a bit cheaper than the broker sites, but you have to take a bigger "risk" with doing it direct. However, you can find already booked reservations at hard to get resorts/times there that the owners made for the purpose to rent. I just recommend reading the rules about the rent/trade boards there before posting.

correcaminos

Sorry I mean DVC points on the resale market for one-off stays.
I assume you mean renting. If you rent too early you might pay a premium (outside of 7 months) but at the same time, if you want a harder to get location you may not have anything if you wait too long. Sometimes there are distressed points - ones that need to be rented right away but again you are stuck with whatever is available.

Phonedave

Some owner sites like www.mouseowners.com have rent/trade boards where you can directly rent from members - sometimes it is a bit cheaper than the broker sites, but you have to take a bigger "risk" with doing it direct. However, you can find already booked reservations at hard to get resorts/times there that the owners made for the purpose to rent. I just recommend reading the rules about the rent/trade boards there before posting.

One of the other problems with renting directly from a person, is they may not want to rent the number of points you want. If somebody has 200 points to rent out, and what you want to book only uses 150 points, they may not want to do it. It leaves them with an exra 50 points, which is a difficult amount to rent out.

When you go through a site, they have mutiple contracts they work with. So if what you want to do will take 150 points, they will match you up with someone who is renting out a160 point contract. It makes managing inventory a little easier.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom