Best ride decision in (recent) EPCOT history

What is the best decision in EPCOT history?

• Ellen's Energy Adventure into Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind

• Trees into Remy's Ratatouille Adventure

• Maelstrom into Frozen: Ever After

• Test Track into Test Track 2.0

• Food Rocks into Soarin'/Soarin' Around The World

• El Rio Del Tiempo into Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros

• Horizons into Mission: Space

• World of Motion into Test Track

• Updating Spaceship Earth (every 12-ish years)

• Body Wars into Play!

Results are only viewable after voting.

solidyne

Soarin' Over California mainly celebrated different landforms, which a) makes sense, to me at least, for The Land, and b) involves a lot of horizontals and a lot of banking over those horizontals. It avoids the distortion of vertical lines and maximizes the physical sensations inherent in the ride system. The new one celebrates landmarks, many of which have strong vertical lines, which maximizes the distortion and also leads to a lot of nearly-straight rising motions, which just aren't as much fun as banking. It's like they set out to showcase the limitations of the system.
Yep.
Old Imagineers > Young Imagineers

TwilightZone

Food Rocks into Soarin' is an obvious one.
Rat ride, doesn't replace anything, seems fun, good fan reception. Another nothing to something that fits is the world showcase adventure, it seemed like a lot of fun and I always wanted to do it. Hope that one day it comes back.
And SUPER controversial but replacing Ellen was the right move...not quite sure still if Guardians itself fits, the space could have been used better, but Ellen and the Energy ride as a whole was dating horribly.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Food Rocks into Soarin' is an obvious one.
Rat ride, doesn't replace anything, seems fun, good fan reception. Another nothing to something that fits is the world showcase adventure, it seemed like a lot of fun and I always wanted to do it. Hope that one day it comes back.
And SUPER controversial but replacing Ellen was the right move...not quite sure still if Guardians itself fits, the space could have been used better, but Ellen and the Energy ride as a whole was dating horribly.
Food Rocks into Soarin is obvious because FR was just awful, but taking a longer view, Kitchen Cabaret into Soarin was, to me, a mistake. Kitchen was a great AA theater show of the type Disney can’t seem to bring themselves to make anymore while Soarin now features a lackluster film with bad CGI that is replicated in malls and other cheap amusements all over the world. Even if Kitchen never quite reached the heights of Country Bears it was in that ballpark, and it’s invocation in GotG, however tone-deaf, proves the continued cultural resonance of an attraction that existed a relatively very short time.

It also featured a lot of distinctive characters that, marketed properly, could have moved merch.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

I can’t believe that (currently) four people have voted Horizons —> Mission Space 🤦🏻‍♂️😢
I guess that shows the big generation gap between the two. Horizons has been closed so long that there's now more people who rode and experienced Mission Space than what it replaced.
Personally my only Horizons experience is from youtube and being a 1999 baby I found it horrifically cheesy... and this is from someone who likes seeing hopeful sci-fi futures in media. It's a big generation gap thing I think.

UNCgolf

I guess that shows the big generation gap between the two. Horizons has been closed so long that there's now more people who rode and experienced Mission Space than what it replaced.
Personally my only Horizons experience is from youtube and being a 1999 baby I found it horrifically cheesy... and this is from someone who likes seeing hopeful sci-fi futures in media. It's a big generation gap thing I think.

I think you have to imagine the ride if it was built now (or if it had been updated rather than replaced), showing more contemporary extrapolations of future living instead of the 1980s version.

As much as I would happily re-ride that original version (and do so repeatedly), I think nearly everyone who wishes it still existed assumes the ride would have eventually been updated/overhauled to modernize the content.

aladdin2007

I would vote for rat, however its down way too much, and or its impossible to get on.
We don't put up with the genie mess, so we have found we barely can get on any ride anymore.

Sir_Cliff

I think you have to imagine the ride if it was built now (or if it had been updated rather than replaced), showing more contemporary extrapolations of future living instead of the 1980s version.

As much as I would happily re-ride that original version (and do so repeatedly), I think nearly everyone who wishes it still existed assumes the ride would have eventually been updated/overhauled to modernize the content.
I do get this point and generally agree, though it does make me wonder whether the ride would really work as anything other than nostalgia at present. Maybe I need to hang around with more cheery people, but do these shared optimistic and positive visions of the future still exist? I can't think of a contemporary equivalent of people imagining farming the desert or living underwater. Most of the time when we're depicted as living in space in popular culture, there is some implication that we are doing so because we left earth a smoking heap of trash. Beyond a Carousel of Progress-style notion of technology making life easier (and even that seems to have a question mark over it), I don't know whether Horizons would work today.

UNCgolf

I do get this point and generally agree, though it does make me wonder whether the ride would really work as anything other than nostalgia at present. Maybe I need to hang around with more cheery people, but do these shared optimistic and positive visions of the future still exist? I can't think of a contemporary equivalent of people imagining farming the desert or living underwater. Most of the time when we're depicted as living in space in popular culture, there is some implication that we are doing so because we left earth a smoking heap of trash. Beyond a Carousel of Progress-style notion of technology making life easier (and even that seems to have a question mark over it), I don't know whether Horizons would work today.

They definitely exist -- not all current sci-fi is dystopian, and there's still a belief, at least among some people, that technology can get us out of the mess -- and it's not like all visions of the future were utopian in the 80s, either.

I agree that the overall outlook is more negative now than it was then, but that could be a good reason to have an optimistic ride at a theme park.

Deciding to build the park.

Aside from that, possibly updating SSE but I don’t trust them doing it again. Rat was a good idea with some poor execution. Nothing else on the list was a positive.
I'm surprised that so many people seem to dislike Rat. I thought it was quite good. We rode it three times on our last trip. Much better, imo, than Mickey and Minnie, which seems better liked by most people. Tastes differ, I guess!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom