Best places to eat - DL and DCA

J4546

DCA has so many great food choices, probably one of the best out of all the us parks imo. so does SoCal, so I guess it fits the California theme ha. Pyms would be my last choice, its not bad at all but there are so many great places

Phroobar

Blasphemy! Lol

i loved it growing up, and now that I don’t live near one, it’s a must stop whenever I visit the area again.
When you live next to three of them it is overrated. Sometimes we decide it isn't worth the line and go someplace much much better.

Raising Canes is also overrated. It's just chicken strips with cheap fries.
Chick-fil-a is another overrated place. They are expensive for plain chicken sandwiches.

mickEblu

consistently good, not great, burgers. terrible fries. For me at least.
Fries are much better then they used to be though. I’m not sure people remember how awful they were 5 years ago or so before they changed the oil they use to fry.

Last edited:

mickEblu

My best experiences with Raising Cane's left me neutral; the worst took me to the emergency room.

I'm not one to say no to good chicken tenders, but Raising Cane's will never get my business again.

The Texas Toast is the real Star and you have to dip the tenders in the sauce or there is no flavor. I think Raising Canes is better than the sum of its parts. Nothing is exceptional but a little box of fresh not too salty tenders, Texas Toast, coleslaw and crinkle cut fires is a nice combo of flavors and textures.

PiratesMansion

The Texas Toast is the real Star and you have to dip the tenders in the sauce or there is no flavor. I think Raising Canes is better than the sum of its parts. Nothing is exceptional but a little box of fresh not too salty tenders, Texas Toast, coleslaw and crinkle cut fires is a nice combo of flavors and textures.
I'll take your word for it, but there's nothing they can do to ever get money from me again.

I'll be more than happy going to places like Zaxby's, Bojangles, or any of the other myriad chicken tender places that have sprung up instead.

mickEblu

I'll take your word for it, but there's nothing they can do to ever get money from me again.

I'll be more than happy going to places like Zaxby's, Bojangles, or any of the other myriad chicken tender places that have sprung up instead.

We don’t have any of those places out here. And where I live we’re always last to get any of these new franchises from the south or Midwest.

Did you really end up in the ER? What happened?

PiratesMansion

I am a little surprised that no one has mentioned Pizza Press as a viable outside the park option. That was all the rage on these boards a few years ago. Did it close? Become the new Captain Kidd's?

In the opposite direction, Mimi's has been hit or miss but at least has a more interesting sounding menu than the other out-of-park options (and their muffins have never disappointed).
We don’t have any of those places out here. And where I live we’re always last to get any of these new franchises from the south or Midwest.

Did you really end up in the ER? What happened?
Those are more southern places, though they're slowly starting to encroach further north. None are super close to me, but every once in awhile I'll get off at a random exit in the middle of, say, Indiana (the midwestern state that thinks it's a southern state but without any of the good qualities of the actual south) and oh look, a Zaxby's! Pure midwest chains would be things like Culver's (great burgers and in-house root beer) or Portillo's (which has recently decided to spread like crabgrass-I know there's one right outside Knott's that I ate at a few years ago; great burgers & fries, chocolate or lemon cake, Italian beef, and so on, though the ones outside the Chicago suburbs tend to lack the hussle of the ones closer to the city). I guess White Castle is technically midwestern too, but blech, disgusting. I don't think we have any midwest-centric chicken tender chains.

My actual favorite regional fast food at the moment is one I just discovered a few months ago: Braum's. They're hard to find, as the company only has stores within 500 miles of their farm in central Oklahoma, where all of their food is sourced. But they have very good, fresh burgers and fries and their own ice cream, which is great and shockingly cheap (I think I only paid like $3 for a very generous double scoop serving).

But yes, I did end up in the ER after eating Raising Cane's. Everything turned out fine, and I don't remember the specifics too well, as it was awhile ago. But something in their food just didn't react well with my system.

mickEblu

My family still gets the fries now, still not a fan.

They re not great just much better than they used to be. Anyway, fries are just the background noise when eating a burger. I’ve never really specifically gone anywhere for fries outside of McDonalds a few times and even then if it wasn’t convenient I’m not sure I would have even done that.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I’ve seen that video get lots of praise on social media.

People are so jealous they don’t live in California, they have to pretend In n Out (and the state, in general) is bad. It’s cool, the state is overcrowd anyway.

PiratesMansion

I’ve seen that video get lots of praise on social media.

People are so jealous they don’t live in California, they have to pretend In n Out (and the state, in general) is bad. It’s cool, the state is overcrowd anyway.
In fairness, many people that are into In n Out are REALLY into In n Out to a degree that can be off-putting to out of staters.

If there are Disney Adults, there are DEFINITELY In n Out Adults too. And people who haven't had it or don't think it's the best burger in the history of burgers are a bit nonplussed that there's so much feeling and passion over what appears to be a burger joint with like two things on the menu that doesn't seem that different from McDonald's at a passing glance.

I've come around to In n Out, but the hype can still be a little ridiculous to me. YMMV.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom