Best places to eat - DL and DCA

The4mousekeeters

Original Poster
Longtime WDW family headed to DLR in October for the first time ever. I’d love a list of table service restaurants that are on your must do list for the two parks! If there are one or two great quick service spots of note, that would be great too!
Our kids are teenagers, so any atmosphere is fine. No need for character meals unless the food is amazing. 😊
Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

CSJORDAN

Hi! We have just returned from a trip to Disneyland. Some of our highlights were Lamplight Lounge for TS and Bengal BBQ for QS. Both delicious meals that I would recommend! We also enjoyed the pizza and sea bass at Naples in Downtown Disney.

Avoid Blue Bayou... I know this is sad to say, but our food and service were extremely unimpressive.

MoonRakerSCM

You'll find that the most major defining difference between DL and WDW is the food quality. It's night and day. Table service options are extremely limited here.

At Disneyland, I would recommend Cafe Orleans. In DCA, probably just Carthay although I've not been to Lamplight loungue so can't judge it.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I go to WDW and DL fairly regularly and these are my picks.
DL: Cafe Orleans (TS) & Plaza Inn (QS, the chicken is legendary) snack/quick bites: Red Wagon for corndogs and Bengal BBQ
DCA: Carthay Circle (either the lounge or the regular restaurant, lately I've liked the lounge menu better) and Pym's (QS) honorable mention: Flo's
Downtown Disney: Naples and Ballast Point
Hotels: Trader Sam's and Craftsman (Napa Rose is very good if you want something more fancy)

PiratesMansion

Don't feel like you need to pack in the table service restaurants like at WDW-the table service/counter service quality ratio is definitely more balanced at DLR if not in some ways ahead in counter service.

My only must-do table service (if you're willing to splurge) is Napa Rose, which to me is hands down worth the price. Carthay has cool atmosphere but the food wasn't quite what I had hoped for. I also really enjoy Cafe Orleans as a nice place to sit outside, watch the river, and knock out a lot of iconic DL food items (pommes frites, monte cristo sandwich, mint julep, and the beignets for dessert) in one meal, but if you're not interested in those things, it's skippable.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Avoid Blue Bayou... I know this is sad to say, but our food and service were extremely unimpressive.

OP, heed this advice.

I also really enjoy Cafe Orleans as a nice place to sit outside, watch the river, and knock out a lot of iconic DL food items (pommes frites, monte cristo sandwich, mint julep, and the beignets for dessert) in one meal, but if you're not interested in those things, it's skippable.

OP, if you're seeking a table-service option in Disneyland, I'd recommend Cafe Orleans as well, for the reasons perfectly summarized above. Maybe not a Michelin-quality meal or anything, but a perfect Disneyland experience.

Your mileage may vary, but lately my wife and I have enjoyed grabbing some skewers from Bengal Barbecue, a couple baos and a Dole Whip from Tropical Hideaway, and eating it all while chilling at a table in the Tropical Hideaway seating area. Great vibe in that space, especially at night.

Hope you enjoy your first visit to Disneyland!

MoonRakerSCM

I will second Tropical Hideaway. The ambiance there can't be beat. If you can get a table at the right time when it's not overrun by AP's it is totally worth it.

I do not recommend Bengal barbecue though. The seating there is pretty substandard and honestly the last time I had their food I was very unimpressed with the quality, flavors, and quantity of food for your buck. That applies to everything except the bacon wrapped asparagus, that was actually really tasty and I would get that again.

In DCA, I'm not sure how the food is doing from the two counter service restaurants there, but the Paradise Gardens is a lovely spot to eat in. But place in the park for a table with friends. All other large food seating areas are packed full and sterile.

TrainsOfDisney

I would highly recommend Plaza Inn - it’s more of a cafeteria style set up but I think the food is closer to table service and the atmosphere is 100% Disneyland - Lillian Disney helped design it.

They are known for the Fried Chicken but I really love the Salmon there.

Also If you want to do a sit-down Breakfast, Carnation Cafe on Main Street is a great choice with an “original Disneyland” feel.

The4mousekeeters

Original Poster
You'll find that the most major defining difference between DL and WDW is the food quality. It's night and day. Table service options are extremely limited here.

At Disneyland, I would recommend Cafe Orleans. In DCA, probably just Carthay although I've not been to Lamplight loungue so can't judge it.
Yes, I definitely need to keep that in mind - dining seems to be a much different experience. Great advice, thank you!

The4mousekeeters

Original Poster
I would highly recommend Plaza Inn - it’s more of a cafeteria style set up but I think the food is closer to table service and the atmosphere is 100% Disneyland - Lillian Disney helped design it.

They are known for the Fried Chicken but I really love the Salmon there.

Also If you want to do a sit-down Breakfast, Carnation Cafe on Main Street is a great choice with an “original Disneyland” feel.
Love the idea of a more original Disneyland feel - thank you!

Pacnw

Hungry Bear Cafe may not have The best food, but it definitely has great ambience with a view of the Rivers of America with a Mark Twain gliding past. A nice quiet place to relax and enjoy a meal.

And no trip to Southern California is complete without a trip to In-N-Out Burger!

Stevek

Counter Service:
DCA - Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta (just for the Pasta), Pacific Wharf Cafe
DL - Jolly Holiday

Sit Down:
DCA - Lamplight Lounge
DL - Cafe Orleans, Carnation Cafe

DTD:
Tortilla Joes, Naples, Trader Sam's (DL Hotel)

Close by:
Fire & Ice (Garden Walk), Marri's Pizza & Pasta

Californian Elitist

My feelings of In-n-Out have evolved over the years. Right now, I'd say I understand exactly why people like it. I've had some good meals there. Still overrated though.

With one notable exception. Their neapolitan shake...that's not overrated, that's life-changing. Best shake ever.
As an In-N-Out mega fan, I have to agree with you about their neapolitan shake. I actually don’t like their shakes at all, but I love that one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom