Best Parks for Preschoolers?

MomOfTwins

Hi, there!

Need some advice from you experienced WDW parents. My husband and I are taking our 4-yr. old twins in May to WDW and we've got 5 nights. We're definately hitting MK (maybe for 2 days) and Sea World. Big debate is which of the three would have more "kids stuff": MGM, Universal or IOA?

We've been to Orlando several times but this is the first time as parents ... it makes you look at everything with a different set of eyes! (Will they scream in the Haunted Mansion, etc.!)

Thanks all.

The Mom

Premium Member
My personal opinion is that Universal or MGM would have more for your children. Despite Seuss landing, IOA is geared toward older children.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Epcot wasn't mentioned, but I agree that it might be a better choice. My daughter and son enjoyed it almost as much as MK when they were pre-schoolers. Except for Test Track and Body Wars, all of the rides are gentle enough for little ones. They probably wouldn't enjoy the 360 degree movies (they're too short, and I would get too tired holding them) but there are lots of things to do...even watching the ducks and flamingos!

Upvote 0

Debbie

the obvious choice is Magic Kingdom but Epcot is nice to chill with little ones too. When my boys were toddlers, they would just enjoy the sites.

Upvote 0

Maria

Hey guys... you are forgetting the one that in my opinion, is the best for preschoolers: ANIMAL KINGDOM!

There is so much to see! Kids can be so amazed with the safari, the animals, the parade, the big tree, the train ride to conservation station or whatever is called now, where they have the cast members explaining to kids what the animals are, enter one of those sound cabins where they can listen to the junlge sounds, let them play at the sand thing underneath the "Olden Gate" Bridge.... take them to see how the mice (or the rodents) live, the bats, the white tigers, etc!! Take them to meet Pocahontas, and Tarzan live and to the Lion King Show! They are simply going to loooove that park!! (and you too....)

I wouldn´t choose Epcot unless they were in elementary school when they already learn about countries in the world, otherwise, I would go faster through Epcot. Don´t take me wrong... I love Epcot, but I think it is more for kids on elementary school.

Definitely try SeaWorld ( and if you can, take a backstage tour to pet the penguins; I did it and loooved it!) and Animal Kingdom! They are going to love it, you´ll see....

Ps... Seaworld has free beer at the Budweiser "hospitality centre".... hehehe don´t ask me about it.... :lookaroun

:)

Upvote 0

Debbie

I forgot about Animal Kingdom because when my boys were toddlers, it wasn't open yet. I think the tots would like it though. The key for my husband and I was not to expect to see everything and to take our time and enjoy the little ones seeing it. It was so relaxing just to enjoy them. We would casually dress in the morning, watch the baby feed the ducks outside our room, get our stuff packed for the morning and head to the parks. And we didn't race to get to the back of the park to get on rides. We let them see and observe and took alot of pics. Totally stress free and it was so neat to see it through their eyes.

Upvote 0

DBorges

Animal Kingdom

Yep that is the place ..

The only draw back is the size of the park (it is HUGE)

The shows and activities are great for young children

My Kids are ages are 4 -6 we have been to disney every year and since the opening the animal kingdom has been a great stop.

The rides are good for both young and old. The shows are great

The Kiddy area is good too..

Put them in the bone yard and let them dig dig dig

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

figmentmom

Animal Kingdom, for sure, because they'll LOVE the animals...make sure you go early in the morning, though, because it seems to me that AK literally heats up mid-day, and everybody, animals included, gets grumpy and needs a nap.

MGM is also great. Don't miss the Muppets 3-D show - they will LOVE it!

The other parks have a lot of thrill rides that have height restrictions, and some of them really are too scary for preschoolers. Not that they're not great parks - but I'd wait until the kids were older (and taller).

Upvote 0

McArcDes

We have had two experiences going to the parks with three year olds. The first time was at the with our second oldest daughter on her third birthday and she had a great time. She loved all the rides and was not in the least bit afraid of the characters. She was subject to the height limits on rides like Big Thunder and Space Mountian etc. but loved Haunted Mansion, Pirates and the like. As I recall she was not to thrilled with EPCOT. We followed up with a trip the next year when she was four and she was big enough to go on everything except Space Mountian and she loved those too including Splash Mountain.

The other side of this story is this past November we took our three year old son (along with the rest of us) down for two weeks and he was scared of every ride. He did not even like The many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. He did start a rather intense infatuation with Minnie Mouse though. He is the last kid I thought would be afraid of the rides. He loves to be twirled, spun, twisted and thrown and we thought for sure he would like the rides. He did like the Tarzan and Loin King shows at Animal Kingdom and Fantasmic at Disney - MGM Studios.

I guess I would just say don't go down with any preconcieved notions and let what happens happen and have fun.

On a side note: If you eat dinner at one of several restaurants at the Studios you can get a pass to let you in the side door of Fantasmic and to the reserved seating area. We ate at the Hollywood and Vine had a good all you can eat meal and walked into front row seats for the show through the entrance to back stage next to Oscars Gas station. I would recomend sitting a few rows back if you go on a windy November night. We got soaked from the wind blowing the water from water screens at us. It was still a lot of fun though and a great view!

Have fun on your trip! We are talking about taking our first at Christmas time this year.

Upvote 0

DBorges

Oh I did forget MGM.

The preschoolers will love the playhouse disney show.

Bear in the big blue house, roli poli oli, stanley etc...

My kids loved it. They were singing and dancing away! That was when it was just Bear, now with the rest of the gang, I'm sure it's even better.

The muppet 3-d show is good, but my kids were a little scared as well as being scared in the little mermaid show.

That was when they were 2 and 4. Now that they are 4 & 6 they handle it much better but it took a lot of coaxing to get them back in.

Upvote 0

MomOfTwins

Original Poster
Thank You!

Thank you to all who responded! Such though-provoking posts ... and now I'm totally confused! I've had several friends go to Animal Kingdom and say that it wasn't worth the $ or that it was better suited to 6+ yr. olds.

I really think Epcot will be better when they are in grade school. Right now, I'm leaning towards MGM. They LOVE Playhouse Disney shows so I bet that would be a big hit.

Here's another question: Have any of you gone to the Disney Wilderness Preserve, particularly the buggy rides on Sunday afternoons? The Unofficial Guide to WDW (Bob Sehlinger) said that "it could possibly be the high point of your Disney vacation." That's a pretty huge statement and I wonder if any of you have experienced it.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

gepetto

turkey leg boy just started a thread about the carriage rides. :)

I would suggest you keep researching each park and see what attractions would be suited to your childen. I really think AK has a lot to offer 4 year olds. My kids didn't enjoy MGM until they were a little older and could ride ToT and RnR.

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Originally posted by gepetto
turkey leg boy just started a thread about the carriage rides. :)

I would suggest you keep researching each park and see what attractions would be suited to your childen. I really think AK has a lot to offer 4 year olds. My kids didn't enjoy MGM until they were a little older and could ride ToT and RnR.

Actually, according to my article on my thread, it sounds like this is something new.

It might be the same thing, but I'm not sure.

Upvote 0

poppins50

We have a 4 yr old. who has gone many times to Disney and we always bring a friend or cousin of hers who would be around the same age. Below I listed a few things to do the list is not exhaustive because there are too many things to list. But I didn't put in any scary shows while my dd likes these, I think we traumatized my Nephew and our friends dd by bringing them to Tough to be a bug, Norway boat ride, Honey I shrunk the audience and the ride of Energy with Ellen at Epcot all of which were very loud and dark.

Get the park hopper pass because there is no park other than MK at Disneyworld that would keep 4 yr. olds happy for a day. Here are a couple of ideas:

MGM: is great for 4 yr. olds they have
Disney play house is a definate favorite,
Muppet Theatre show
The little mermaid
B & B play
Mine loves The Hunchback play, but I don't think other 4 yr. olds would like it.
Epcot-Then take the boat to Epcot:
Our dd and any other kids we brought loved Epcot.
Do a couple of Countries don't overdo it.
Morrocco-We liked it because kids not only did a mask but had Jasmine and Alladin sign it for her. We had lunch at the restaraunt and kids went up to belly dance with the dancer and we took another quick run to see Aladdin in the shop next door while waiting for food.
If they like trains there is a neat train setup in Germany.
Mexico-Kids also like the Mexican boat rides and playing with the musical instruments with Mexico shopping area.

Future World-
Visit the living seas
In the Land you have Food Rocks (a great show). Circle of life, and at the Nestle counter they have kids go in and bake cookies, they give them little chef hats too.

Do a 1/2 morning at Animal Kingdom
Dinoland-is great - there is a kiddie ride and carnival like atmosphere and dd spent alot of time diggin in the sand playground (I cant remember the name)
Some fun high energy shows are Lion King show-not to be missed and Tarzan Rocks.
The Parade is great.

Have a great time!

Upvote 0

McArcDes

The bone yard at Animal Kingdom is great for older kids 6 - 10 but for 3 and 4 year olds it can get kind of tough for a parent to follow them around through kid size spaces. The same goes for the Honey I shrunk the Kids playground at Disney MGM. I have heard that they have recently finished a enhancment to the Honey I shrunk the kids with among other things a Playdough can that really smells like Playdough. If you go there keep the kids away from the caves. I tried to follow my 3 and 5 (at the time) year old daughters through them and got a bumped head and scratched back for the trouble. It is also extermely easy to lose them in there while you are trying to move around other parents that are following their kids. The upside to these play areas is that they have cast members at the entrances so if you lose a child you can go to them and let them know. It happens all the time. Have fun.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom