Best Disney Castle

What is the best Castle worldwide?

• Sleeping Beauty's Castle (Disneyland Park)

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Cinderella's Castle (Magic Kingdom)

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Cinderella's Castle (Tokyo Disneyland)

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Sleeping Beauty's Castle AKA Le Chateau de la Belle au Bois Dormant (Disneyland Paris)

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Castle of Magical Dreams (Hong Kong Disneyland)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Enchanted Storybook Castle (Shanghai Disneyland)

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

MagicKingdom4Ever

Original Poster
I personally think that Shanghai has the best castle. It is the biggest castle of all, it has several attractions within it, including the finale of Voyage to the Crystal Grotto beneath it, and it captures classic European architecture while compromising some Chinese elements.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Best in what way? A real defensible structure that could conceivably withstand a siege? Functional residence? Attraction?

Sbk1234

They're all beautiful, but my personal favorite is the castle in Disneyland Paris. It has that wonderful fairytale look to it, with the square-trimmed trees and dramatic landscaping. And the cherry on the top is the dragon underneith. Inside the details are just gorgeous. To me, it really is the most magical.
1280px-Sleeping_Beauty_Castle,_Disneyland,_Paris.jpg

IMG_20190615_120403.jpg

53wtpiowl5341.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin_W

They're all beautiful, but my personal favorite is the castle in Disneyland Paris. It has that wonderful fairytale look to it, with the square-trimmed trees and dramatic landscaping. And the cherry on the top is the dragon underneith. Inside the details are just gorgeous. To me, it really is the most magical.View attachment 644139

View attachment 644141
View attachment 644142
I agree with the beauty of DLP, and it has a dragon! But it is a bit shorter than WDW or the Asian castles. So I don't fault that choice, but I pick WDW's for aesthetic beauty (though TDL would be a near-tie, obviously). Shanghai is a bit too wide/blocky for my taste.

Sbk1234

I love this topic, but I think it needs more photos for comparing:

Disneyland California

bfe68f2fcd6502bc9f2900796bf92c7b95556c7fv2_hq.jpg

Walt Disney World:
Cinderella_Castle_October_2021.jpg

Disneyland Paris:
1280px-Sleeping_Beauty_Castle,_Disneyland,_Paris.jpg

Disneyland Shanghai:
shanghai+disneyland+reopening.jpg

Disneyland Hong Kong:
20201120_HKDL_15th-Anniversary-Launch-Celebration_Castle-of-Magical-Dreams-6-2448857.jpg

MaryJaneP

Was told all Disney castles were based on a german castle. Neuschwanstien? Maybe a pic of that for a base to compare others upon?

MagicKingdom4Ever

Original Poster

Heppenheimer

Was told all Disney castles were based on a german castle. Neuschwanstien? Maybe a pic of that for a base to compare others upon?
The inspiration of a pure fantasy castle comes from Neuschwanstein, but other than the similarity of the main towers in Sleeping Beauty's Castle, none of the Disney castles directly "quote" the German example. Cinderella's castles (which I like best) directly lifted and figuratively photocopied some features from various castles in the Loire Valley of France and the Alcazar in Spain, and assembled them together as whole. Because it lacks all the ornaments they put on the Florida version, my vote for the best goes to Tokyo. I also think they did the best forced perspective on this castle to make it look bigger than it really is. This is my only real fault for Sleeping Beauty Castle, the forced perspective just doesn't work as well.

I like Shanghai's castle, it looks like a more fantastical version of a a Danish or English Renaissance palace.

Paris's is a little too fantasy for my tastes.

And whereas is looks like the gracefully assembled Cinderella's Castle from different parts, Hong Kong's looks too jumbled, like they dropped out a bunch of different "build-own-castle playsets", and put it together from too many disjointed pieces.

Walt Disney1955

I've always felt that in pictures Paris looks the nicest and most awe inspiring. I love the fact that there are things to see in it as well, which is something that WDW probably could have done. I do like walking through Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty castle, even if it is the smallest and most quaint one. It still has its charm.

J4546

Paris looks reat, I wish theyd update the DL castle to make it look like the Paris one a little. The DL castle is so small and uninteresting compared to the rest imo

MagicKingdom4Ever

Original Poster
Paris looks reat, I wish theyd update the DL castle to make it look like the Paris one a little. The DL castle is so small and uninteresting compared to the rest imo
keep in mind that the DL castle was the first one they ever made, so they had no experience in castle making. They did what they could. Not to mention, Disneyland was smaller then. They didn't need a big castle. They just needed an interesting passage into Fantasyland.

J4546

i think they could lessen the water around the castle on the left side and bring in some rock work like paris, to hide a dragons chambers....like paris.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom