Best Counter Service?

jaygatsby

Original Poster
Talking solely about food, not theming. Is there a counter service that has better quality food than the others or are they all basically on the same level? I'm trying to figure out the best place to eat, but everything I've read talks mainly about theming or says that the food's only okay. I want to know if any of them have consistently better than okay food.

DisneyJoe

Talking solely about food, not theming. Is there a counter service that has better quality food than the others or are they all basically on the same level? I'm trying to figure out the best place to eat, but everything I've read talks mainly about theming or says that the food's only okay. I want to know if any of them have consistently better than okay food.
Sunshine Seasons in Epcot is good

It really depends on what you want to eat.

JoeCamel

As Disney Joe said "it depends on what you want to eat". He missed that this is a Universal thread though.

Do you like Chicken and Ribs?

Disneyhead'71

Fast Food Blvd. in Springfield has a great selection and the quality is pretty good. Each Potter land has a good counter service restaurant. And IOA has Thunder Falls Terrace which is comparable to Flame Tree BBQ in DAK.

Also in IOA is a Kabab place that has great Kababs and the hummus is surprisingly good at excellent prices.

JoeCamel

Yes, but we will eat anything as long as it's good!
For counter service heed what Disneyhead said. Do yourself a favor and plan a sit down meal or two. The parks (and citywalk) really do it well and you don't need to book 180 days out like down the road

Rob562

Also consider Mythos. Despite it being a Table Service restaurant, its prices really aren't a whole lot more than a meal at somewhere like Three Broomsticks. Most entrees are in the $14-17 range, with a couple around $22-23.

-Rob

Tom Morrow

Personally I think that most of Universal's counter service food is mediocre, and unfortunately there aren't many table service options in the parks. You can't go wrong with Mythos. I find that the food at Three Broomsticks and Leaky Cauldron is extremely overrated. Worse than what you would get at, say, a Golden Corral. For example the ribs are very fatty, the roast chicken is very dry, but they make it look nice.

Disney has stepped up their quick service game tremendously in the last 5-6 years and I wish Universal would follow suit. Compare the ribs you get at Harambe Market to Three Broomsticks. Night and day.

jaygatsby

Original Poster
Personally I think that most of Universal's counter service food is mediocre, and unfortunately there aren't many table service options in the parks. You can't go wrong with Mythos. I find that the food at Three Broomsticks and Leaky Cauldron is extremely overrated. Worse than what you would get at, say, a Golden Corral. For example the ribs are very fatty, the roast chicken is very dry, but they make it look nice.

Disney has stepped up their quick service game tremendously in the last 5-6 years and I wish Universal would follow suit. Compare the ribs you get at Harambe Market to Three Broomsticks. Night and day.
From what I've read and personal experience, that seems to be the truth. When we went to Universal four years ago, we could tell it was a definite step down from Disney. I had hoped it changed in the past few years but that doesn't seem to be the case. We're planning on doing a couple table service meals in City Walk, but I wanted to find some good go to options in between rides.

Tom Morrow

Quick serve is crap at Universal. We always plan to end up by City Walk when we want to eat. The little stretch with Moe's, bread box, pizza place, wok place etc. is good for a quick bite. Mythos is decent and the Irish place was OK as well. Can't remember the name of that but in general I don't eat in the parks any more. I am wondering about the place that says chicken and waffles on the sign. Keep wanting to give that a try? They actually have chicken and waffles, is it decent or even good for what it is?
It's not very good. All of the Fast Food Blvd food is literally cafeteria food.

Universal understands the "themed food" concept very well, but not the "make the themed food actually be of good quality" part.

It kind of surprises me that people still rave about Butterbeer when the standard drink always tastes watered down and flat and if it wasn't for the cream on top it would have almost no flavor.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Much of the counter service is meh at Universal, but the counter service at WDW isn't really that much better. Leaky Cauldron is decent on the Uni side, and Fire Eaters Grill isn't bad on the Islands side. San Francisco Pastry Company, and Croissant Moon Bakery can also be good options.

If you don't mind spending a few dollars on a tip, I suggest Finnegans, Confisco, or Lombards. The prices are reasonable, we normally don't spend much more than we would on counter service and it's normally much much better. I don't get why people think Mythos is so great, I've been several times over the years and thought it was awful every single time. I'd personally avoid Thunder Falls. The last time we were there the "grilled" corn was undercooked and served from a warming tray filled with water, and I'll just stop there before I have flash backs. Haven't been back since.

jaygatsby

Original Poster
If you don't mind spending a few dollars on a tip, I suggest Finnegans, Confisco, or Lombards.
We would, but for some meals we don’t have time to eat at a full service restaurant. I agree with you about Mythos though, not a particular bad experience but just not big fans

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
We would, but for some meals we don’t have time to eat at a full service restaurant. I agree with you about Mythos though, not a particular bad experience but just not big fans

Ahh, yeah, timing can be a challenge. Especially during peak dining hours. You can make reservations for a few of them which helps, but still may not be good enough on a tight timeline.

EricsBiscuit

I find the food at Uni lacking. As I am typing this I am waiting (10 minutes after being seated) for my Coca Cola. Kind of sad. The counter service restaurants aren't anything special, except for the Potter ones.

The Empress Lilly

Universal understands the "themed food" concept very well, but not the "make the themed food actually be of good quality" part.
That sums it up so perfectly!

I can name half a dozen great counter service restaurants at UNI I would eat at right now, but when I think about why, it is really just the theming for every single one.

The Potter places do a good job presenting your food as something special though. Mel's, Louie's I like too, but again, good theming with ordinary burgers and pizza's respectively.

TinkerTara

My family LOVED the pizza at Red Oven Pizza in City walk! Each pizza is made to order and it is hand rolled crust with fresh ingrediants. It was so good we ate there 2 times on our trip.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
My family LOVED the pizza at Red Oven Pizza in City walk! Each pizza is made to order and it is hand rolled crust with fresh ingrediants. It was so good we ate there 2 times on our trip.

I've never thought of Red Oven as counter service, but I guess it really is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom