Best Books of Walt Disney?

TD Mickey

Original Poster
Hi everyone, I was just wondering what books you have read on Walt Disney, the man. I have read Married to the Mouse and in the middle of reading An American Original. I am just looking to see what would be a good book to read or if those are the "better" ones to read. Any of your input would be helpful. I am basically interested in Walts story and how everything got started. I just love reading about it. Thanks.

Dizknee_Phreek

oh, i'm so glad someone mentioned An American Original! i've been meaning to do it for months, and have just never gotten around to it.
the only Walt Disney book i have read is An American Original...i read it for a school project last semester for my AP US History class. now, i gotta tell you, i'm not usually very interested in biographies, and i don't usually get very emotional while reading them. but i was absolutely riveted to it! and by the time i got to the last page, i was weeping uncontrollably! the book was just so heartfelt! it was the first book i had ever read on Walt, and it moved me so much. i never knew how truely genius he was! and it gave me a whole new appreciation for the company. and to be honest, i never knew he had kids! i had always wondered, but no one ever talks about them! and i had never known that he had gone through so much physical pain.
but truely, An American Original is one of the best books i have ever read! and the pictures in it are just fantastic! the whole thing is so captivating that you feel like you actually knew him and that you were actually friends with him. the only slow parts are when they start talking about his business ventures and trying to get people to sponser his cartoons and parks and such. but other than that, it's just great!
let me know what you think of it after you get finished with it, TD Mickey!

Maria

I haven´t read too much about Walt Disney, but I do regret not buying any of the books at Read and Write at DD, specially the ones that only had his famous phrases. They are all very nice. Look at my signature... that´s the one that I like the most! It´s sooooo true! :)

David

I can't tell you what might the best, but I can definately tell you which one to avoid. I believe the title of the book is "Walt Disney, Dark Prince" and it paints a very bad picture or Disney.

The author tries to prove that Disney was connected to the FBI and was an imformant for J. Edgar Hoover.

There are very few complimentary comments from co-workers, and the author tries to put down Disney every chance he gets.

In the introduction to the book, he stated that the Disney Company was at first very agreeable to let him have access to writing and files, then changed their minds and declined those to him. I think their non-support ticked him off, so he wanted to get back at Disney.

Running a large company, I am sure Walt rubbed some people the wrong way, but I doubt this portrayal is very accurate.

NowInc

Originally posted by David
I can't tell you what might the best, but I can definately tell you which one to avoid. I believe the title of the book is "Walt Disney, Dark Prince" and it paints a very bad picture or Disney.

The author tries to prove that Disney was connected to the FBI and was an imformant for J. Edgar Hoover.

There are very few complimentary comments from co-workers, and the author tries to put down Disney every chance he gets.

In the introduction to the book, he stated that the Disney Company was at first very agreeable to let him have access to writing and files, then changed their minds and declined those to him. I think their non-support ticked him off, so he wanted to get back at Disney.

Running a large company, I am sure Walt rubbed some people the wrong way, but I doubt this portrayal is very accurate.

I have read that book, and its laughable. The "facts" that are in there are inconsitant from chapter to chapter, and since its the only book of its kind...it seems that this guy is the only one who thinks that way. Just because you write a book doesnt mean you know what you are talking about..ya know?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom