Best backpack for WDW?

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Looking for a decent backpack recommendation. Padded straps a must. Currently entertaining the Osprey Daylite.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

To understand "best"? Need to know your load :(. Dad carrying diapers for 4 infants is a LOT different that two 66 year old folks carrying two rain ponchos + 2 fleeces.

But right off? WDW is not Yosemite. NO back padding - you will roast. Coated Nylon for thunderstorms. SMALLER is better....

Upvote 0

Gitson Shiggles

Original Poster
To understand "best"? Need to know your load :(. Dad carrying diapers for 4 infants is a LOT different that two 66 year old folks carrying two rain ponchos + 2 fleeces.

But right off? WDW is not Yosemite. NO back padding - you will roast. Coated Nylon for thunderstorms. SMALLER is better....

I realize I should add more details. We’ll be going during the holidays. We already have a dedicated diaper bag, but my 19 month old has outgrown its bulkiness. I want something that feels smaller and lighter, still with padded straps (at least). We also have a cross-body daypack, but I can’t position the bag to where the strap isn’t rubbing on my neck. DW (she has the anatomy for it) will be wearing that bag with DD’s stuff. Everyone else’s stuff would go in the pack I would wear.

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Cameras Gadgets chargers? We need to know what you want to carry. I use a Hunchback so I've got a DLSR, lenses, memory cards etc in the bottom section and top is for goodies, raincoats, and umbrellas in the side pockets.

Upvote 0

Gitson Shiggles

Original Poster
Cameras Gadgets chargers? We need to know what you want to carry. I use a Hunchback so I've got a DLSR, lenses, memory cards etc in the bottom section and top is for goodies, raincoats, and umbrellas in the side pockets.

I’ll have an Anker charger about the size of a man’s hand. Up to three phones, at times. Phones all have Otterbox Defenders. No other electronics. A change of clothes for DS 9. Three jackets/hoodies, as we need them. Ponchos, if needed, will be in the stroller.

Upvote 0

LeighM

I prefer LeSportsac backpacks. They have larger styles like Voyager and smaller ones like Small Edie. I use the larger one for airline carry on and the smaller one for the parks. They are lightweight, ripstop nylon, and everything inside stays dry when it rains - or if you get soaked on water rides. They are also easily cleaned. Love those bags!

Upvote 0

BethG

I think the Osprey is a good choice. My husband has a small Osprey that we bring to WDW with us. Reading details from Osprey, "Mesh-covered back panel has slotted foam for ventilation and breathability". Husband swears it is cooler and more comfortable than a regular backpack. We have a separate backpack rain cover that fits into it's own bag. We put that in the side pocket in case of rain. It works great. We've had it for close to 10 years now, so it holds up great.

Upvote 0

Disney4family

Yeah you're gonna need the backpack for all of the extra shirts you'll be changing into every couple of hours. I'll trade 10 extra seconds at bag check for a dry back all day.
Like I've said, we've never had an issue with them. Try it before you knock it. Or don't try it. That's the beauty of "to each his own". The OP asked and we were one of many who answered - the beauty of a fan forum.

Upvote 0

DisneyOutsider

Like I've said, we've never had an issue with them. Try it before you knock it. Or don't try it. That's the beauty of "to each his own". The OP asked and we were one of many who answered - the beauty of a fan forum.

Cool.. and I'm here to save OP's back from a miserable day of perpetual sweat and discomfort :joyfull:;)

Upvote 0

Disney4family

Cool.. and I'm here to save OP's back from a miserable day of perpetual sweat and discomfort :joyfull:;)
Sorry. Never experienced more or less sweat and discomfort from this kind of backpack. I'm being quite honest, too. Otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it for the OP or for others who are reading this thread.
Maybe because we don't jam it with stuff as if we're going off the grid for months on end like some Guests. It's been an amazing convenience for our windbreakers/raincoats, autograph books and occasional unfinished snacks. We've only experienced pros with it - not cons.

Upvote 0

DisneyOutsider

Sorry. Never experienced more or less sweat and discomfort from this kind of backpack. I'm being quite honest, too. Otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it for the OP or for others who are reading this thread.
Maybe because we don't jam it with stuff as if we're going off the grid for months on end like some Guests. It's been an amazing convenience for our windbreakers/raincoats, autograph books and occasional unfinished snacks. We've only experienced pros with it - not cons.

And I'd argue there are much more comfortable alternatives that will achieve all of the conveniences you've listed without sacrificing breathability (some good suggestions above). Just my experience... As the guy who always ends up having to carry everyone else's stuff.

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

Try Rick Steve's website - his stuff is all geared for travelers. And everything has a warranty. All my luggage and backpacks are from there, some up to 18 years old, and still as sturdy as the day I bought them. And they've been all over the world. Lightweight, and reasonably priced. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom