Best Area in Florida

partyoffour

Original Poster
Just thinking of moving down there. But i am thinking I would like to be outside of Orlando like an hour or 2 any communitys you all can suggest I look into? I love Celebration but do not have 2 million to drop on a house. I just want a family community with good schools. Any suggestions?

Rabflmom

Just thinking of moving down there. But i am thinking I would like to be outside of Orlando like an hour or 2 any communitys you all can suggest I look into? I love Celebration but do not have 2 million to drop on a house. I just want a family community with good schools. Any suggestions?

First I would figure out where jobs are available in your field.

One of the best school districts is Brevard county. Usually in the top for math and science competitions; but like all counties; the budget cuts are hitting hard, teachers will be laid off, schools closed, programs dropped, less bus transport, no field trips, etc. . Most areas in Florida looking to drop sports, arts, have bigger classes with no assiastants in the classrooms as the first move. We have had charter schools shut down because they just can't make it. They are even considering letting school groups make money for the schools by allowing gambling like BINGO etc. Might not be the time to consider education for your kids in Florida.

That said houses have come way down. You can probably buy a descent house for $125,000 now with all the foreclosures down here. It might be on a street with ruts that can eat your car because cities are running out of money for repairs. Projects are being tabled. Most of us are living in houses worth $100,000 less than we paid for them if we bought in the last 5-10 years or so.

Jobs are getting scarcer. All I could find when I lost mine was part time with no benefits almost. I counted going back to teaching, but quickly found out that ain't happening unless at a daycare. With the shuttle going away in 2010 it probably means a lot more job cuts because of the tech people leaving the county in masses. I found out one of my favorite fast food places to eat ( Moes Southwest Grill) was closed yesterday when I went to go eat there. Have no idea when it shut down but it is gone and they always seemed to have a lot of people there.

Not looking rosy down here, but seems that is pretty much the picture everywhere. Find a job first, but remember that even having a job lined up doesn't mean the job will be here when you get here or for 6 months after you make the move.

htx

Flagler County, Palm Coast area is really nice. Houses are really cheap now and you will be about an hour and 30 minutes away from Disney. You have Daytona Beach 30 Miles South and St. Augustine 30 Miles North. Jacksonville is about 50-60 miles north.

http://www.ci.palm-coast.fl.us/

Thanks,
Lou

tigsmom

We love Bradenton on the Gulf Coast (west side of town). Decent schools, good mix of family, adult communities and close to the beach. Takes us around 1.5 -2 hours to get to WDW.

partyoffour

Original Poster
I know the economy has hit a huge low for all of us. My husband works fortunatly for a company that allows him to work from home if we move. So I am still unsure I really want to go anywhere now. But I am planning on the future to be in Florida. Hopefully all will recover .Thanks for your input.

Anyone know what your taxes are like?? Here in Jersey we pay 5000 in property taxes. which is low considering i know people who pay 10000.

Rabflmom

I know the economy has hit a huge low for all of us. My husband works fortunatly for a company that allows him to work from home if we move. So I am still unsure I really want to go anywhere now. But I am planning on the future to be in Florida. Hopefully all will recover .Thanks for your input.

Anyone know what your taxes are like?? Here in Jersey we pay 5000 in property taxes. which is low considering i know people who pay 10000.

We are on the coast, way out in the boonies of town with no sidewalks and very few streetlights, no parks close enough to walk or ride a bike too, etc. . Our taxes are in the $2500-$3000(with Florida homestead) range for a house with 2,100 square foot on just less than a quarter acre, well water and septic which we absolutely hate. We also don't have a pool at this house. Taxes are down because value of house has gone down almost $100,000 since we bought it new in 2006. Value decreases with resell of all the foreclosures in the neighborhood. For taxes ours is still listed as $158.000. Latest 2300 sq. foot house(2 blocks down from us) sold last month for $89,000 so it is killing us, but a good time to buy. A lot of houses are listed as cash only on the MLS.

Phonedave

$5K is VERY low for NJ

It is most assuredly cheaper to live in FL than in NJ - provided you have work.

I know somone who is in the opposite boat. His job moved him to NJ from Florida. His house in Clearwater is still on the marker (has been for over a year) because prices are so depressed that he cannot get enough for it to cover whats left on his mortgage.

-dave

partyoffour

Original Poster
We are more looking at Deltona area. Are the schools good there ?? Or is there anything near Lake Mary that is good? My husbands company has an office in Orlando and he wants to make sure he can go in when he needs to. So is there anything good in like a 30 45 min drive from Lake Mary that is good?? Thanks

U all are so helpful

ObsessedWDisney

First I would figure out where jobs are available in your field.

One of the best school districts is Brevard county. Usually in the top for math and science competitions; but like all counties; the budget cuts are hitting hard, teachers will be laid off, schools closed, programs dropped, less bus transport, no field trips, etc. . Most areas in Florida looking to drop sports, arts, have bigger classes with no assiastants in the classrooms as the first move. We have had charter schools shut down because they just can't make it. They are even considering letting school groups make money for the schools by allowing gambling like BINGO etc. Might not be the time to consider education for your kids in Florida.

That said houses have come way down. You can probably buy a descent house for $125,000 now with all the foreclosures down here. It might be on a street with ruts that can eat your car because cities are running out of money for repairs. Projects are being tabled. Most of us are living in houses worth $100,000 less than we paid for them if we bought in the last 5-10 years or so.

Jobs are getting scarcer. All I could find when I lost mine was part time with no benefits almost. I counted going back to teaching, but quickly found out that ain't happening unless at a daycare. With the shuttle going away in 2010 it probably means a lot more job cuts because of the tech people leaving the county in masses. I found out one of my favorite fast food places to eat ( Moes Southwest Grill) was closed yesterday when I went to go eat there. Have no idea when it shut down but it is gone and they always seemed to have a lot of people there.

Not looking rosy down here, but seems that is pretty much the picture everywhere. Find a job first, but remember that even having a job lined up doesn't mean the job will be here when you get here or for 6 months after you make the move.

That is one of the most depressing but honest posts I have read in a LONG time! Thank you so much for your input. I was thinking of moving to FL but after reading this I don't think I should!!! GRRR I hate this economy crap! :shrug: it is ruining my life

Rabflmom

That is one of the most depressing but honest posts I have read in a LONG time! Thank you so much for your input. I was thinking of moving to FL but after reading this I don't think I should!!! GRRR I hate this economy crap! :shrug: it is ruining my life

But in spite of everything there are some great aspects of living here. We are a lot more casual about everything. I think most of us spend a lot of time doing family things with our kids because it is just always so nice outside. We get to spend time at the beach and in the theme parks without spending a fortune to get here. If your low paying job gets to you, you can just go be a tourist in the next county for a day and it feels like you have been on a vacation. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom