Best animated feature film nominees

Phroobar

Original Poster
The Oscar nominees for best animated feature film are up. Thank goodness Frozen II is not part of the list.

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
I Lost My Body
Klaus
Missing Link
Toy Story 4

Personally, I would like to see Klaus win. It was a great movie. Wasn't thrilled with TS4. How to train your dragon was pretty good.

BasiltheBatLord

This is one of the biggest joke categories at The Academy Awards, they almost always just fill it with kids movies and skip over really well-made and serious foreign animated films. Whenever Hollywood Reporter does the "Secret Oscar Voter" articles they always just say something like "I didn't watch any of these but my kid liked that one so I voted for it"

prberk

Meanwhile the 1994 Lion King couldn't even be nominated for best animated picture because such honor to the genre didn't exist back then.
And the 2019 Lion King (pretty much the same exact movie with advanced animation) isn't nominated because Disney doesn't consider it to be "animated". Both ways, it's a slap in the face to the animated feature most deserving of this award.

But hey, at least Rango has won the prize... :rolleyes:

I think your first point is why the category was created in the first place. Beauty and the Beast and Lion King both were talked about for Best Picture (and deserved it) but fell short. Some people felt that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (who votes on the Academy Awards) would never vote for an animated feature for best picture, no matter how great the picture was.

So they created the "Best Animated Picture" category to make up for this. Since then, though, Disney films have been sometimes overlooked even in that category. I think that despite the quality of most, the most major (big-budget) Disney releases seem too big for this category but not "important" enough for the Best Picture category.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Original Poster
In that category there has to be at least one Pixar and/or Disney movie, one Dreamworks, one foreign and one miscellaneous entry.

Fox&Hound

So sad to to see Toy Story 4 on this list over Frozen 2. Frozen 2 could have been better in places but it wasn't the souless cash grab of TS4. They ruined a perfectly good trilogy with TS4 and I have a difficult time forgiving them for that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom