Beauty and the Beast Tokyo ride through

waltography

The biggest difference is the huge stall transitioning out of the outside snow scene, which helps the pace a bit.

I only just noticed thanks to this video that the Beast gets more birds the second time around in the Something There scene!

Also, the pacing in this video is far better than the first one I saw. Still not as good as it should be (that Something There scene really only needs one verse rather than two) but the Transformation scene into the Ballroom was superb.

cookiee_munster

My biggest gripe is why is the window divided up like in sections?

surely there could have been a better way to do this than have it divided like that?

EDIT - having looked at other stained glass windows in churches it does seem that quite a lot of larger stained glass windows are divided, but the actual stone dividers are nowhere near as thick as these ones and don't really spoil the overall image.

Attachments

• rose window.jpg
    rose window.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 157

tirian

I just seen another ride-through video which shows that this one provided had several delay issues. I still thought some scenes were repetitive with the dancing. Be Our Guest did the dancing first and right. The second scene may have looked like a blizzard but it was so dry. The last scene starts feeling repetitive & the second time they circle Belle & Beast there should have been some reveal or “wow moment” as we’ve already circled around things 3 times now. A fleshed out mob scene with Gaston vs Beast would have completed the attraction.

Looks like a very fun ride & I’m still mind-blown by the tech used. Nothing feels cheap about this attraction and I believed they tried their best.
Yes, you can see the tell-tale signs the first video has time delays, probably related to load/unload. That issue still doesn’t save the “book report” style, but again, you can see where the money was spent. It’s gorgeous and still better than any recent WDW addition except FOP.

yensidtlaw1969

Yes, you can see the tell-tale signs the first video has time delays, probably related to load/unload. That issue still doesn’t save the “book report” style, but again, you can see where the money was spent. It’s gorgeous and still better than any recent WDW addition except FOP.
Maybe my proclivity for tactile, physical, dimensional spaces is showing, but I'd take this ride over Flight of Passage any day. And my review's arleady been posted on these boards, I agree there are significant issues here. But even then my opinion is that the only attraction built stateside since, say, 1995, that surpasses this is Rise. Which is meant to say more about the kind of attractions we've been getting stateside. Enjoy Flight of Passage though I do.

BubbaisSleep

Yeah, there are a few small differences that even small change the tone a bit. Makes me a bit sad people are judging this ride off the provided video as it seems the most popular video going around (I noticed my video was deleted which would be better promotion for TDL).
I only just noticed thanks to this video that the Beast gets more birds the second time around in the Something There scene!

Also, the pacing in this video is far better than the first one I saw. Still not as good as it should be (that Something There scene really only needs one verse rather than two) but the Transformation scene into the Ballroom was superb.
I noticed the birds too! So cool! Small things like that really do add to the ride so it makes me wonder what other effects weren’t working in popular POV going around.

I agree, the Something There scene is more barable without the delay but wow that room still feels a bit bare & too long.

tanc

Animatronics are amazing, motion of them is incredible. The scenery looks great too. It's sad Disney World or Land still aren't using traditional IPs, and instead just decide to buy other IPs for rides instead of make something amazing like this.

Magenta Panther

Some are dissing this because it's a "book report" type of Disney-based IP dark ride.

But I'll take this "book report" over the narrative mess of the Tower/Guardians ride in DL and the Mickey ride in DHS (although I've admittedly only experienced those via videos too).

This Beast ride, in terms of sumptuousness, reminds me a bit of the Symbolica ride in the Efteling park in The Netherlands - although Beast's narrative is, again, much stronger:

BayouShack

This video has the best timing of all them so far (the camera isn’t always focused on the best things though). The good timing makes a huge difference

waltography

That dancing Beast and Belle animatronic at the end is pretty spectacular! It appears that both of Beasts feet actually lift and move... I assume both figures are anchored together through a common anchor point under Belle. Really cool tech there!
Spoiler in case people want to figure it out themselves:
There are actually slots under Beast's feet! I think you can see them in the POV with the extended Something There; it appears there's some thin rod that lifts and guides his feet forward and backward while the pair turn over a turntable. This makes sense given the 3D rendering from this teaser video at around 2:52:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Is it supposed to snow? (a bubble snow effect?) Seems like that would add a lot to the outdoor scene with Beast on the balcony. Such a long pause of nothing. A swell of music and some well-timed snowfall would do wonders. Heck give me a projected moon to look at! That room looks so empty in the YT video.

Biggest takeaway from the YT video is how sterile it all looks. As if it were rendered from a computer and then 3D printed. There's no aesthetic beyond the basic form of what it's trying to represent. Those trees look atrocious. Everything just feels so "copy and paste" lacking any human touches. The lack of detail is kind of baffling. Was it rushed to completion?

And, what is it with the pacing of these LPS attractions?

Last edited:

tirian

Some are dissing this because it's a "book report" type of Disney-based IP dark ride.

But I'll take this "book report" over the narrative mess of the Tower/Guardians ride in DL and the Mickey ride in DHS (although I've admittedly only experienced those via videos too).

This Beast ride, in terms of sumptuousness, reminds me a bit of the Symbolica ride in the Efteling park in The Netherlands - although Beast's narrative is, again, much stronger:

I agree with every point you made, yet I’m still disappointed. ;)

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

If you were to take Efteling's Symbolica and plop some Beast and Belle AAs into it you'd have a quality attraction.

Symbolica is "style over substance" whereas Tokyo Disney's BatB ride, while having more content (familiar, book report content) still lacks a little in style. I guess I'd give it to Symbolica, where I feel like they tried harder. A for effort. Not impressed with Disney's effort beyond the AAs.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Neat effects notwithstanding, proof that it’s difficult to translate the dynamism of cinema into a theme park ride (e.g. Be Our Guest). Early Imagineers were filmmakers and understood this implicitly. The current WDI generation seems to struggle with the concept.

Rides are their own medium. The best rides that are based on movies adapt them to work in it.

dennis-in-ct

Does anyone know how the table in the first scene progresses from an empty table to a full table? It’s like a magic trick. And the transformation scene is another amazing magic trick.
This whole ride is jaw dropping stunning.
Kudos to Disney. Just WOW

BayouShack

Does anyone know how the table in the first scene progresses from an empty table to a full table? It’s like a magic trick. And the transformation scene is another amazing magic trick.
This whole ride is jaw dropping stunning.
Kudos to Disney. Just WOW

When your attention is on Lumiere, and then on the plates, little doors open up in the table and the new portions rise up.

Markiewong

They probably tried to distinguish the ride experience from Pooh's aswell, which is right across the street. If you would have a normal darkride where you go from scene to scene and end up in the ballroom for a dancing sequence it would be exactly the same template as Pooh's.

I understand why some people would have preferred a castle tour ending with the ballroom scene, but I also understand OLC/Imagineering choosing this template. And don't forget, Japanese people love music/parade and shows. This ride is specifically targeted towards that and therefore I firmly believe it won't be copied in the near future, or ever. (besides OLC likely forced an exclusivity contract)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom