News Beauty and the Beast sing-along coming to Epcot's France Pavilion

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
And you’d be lying if you believed what you typed here.

(For the record you’re wrong)
How can I be lying if I believe that I'm right?

Also, your bluntness still does not intimidate me, Martin. It's a logistical thing. A dozen people on a bus saying they're going to do Soarin', Mission: Space, and Test Track against, 1 person, which is probably you, internally thinking that you're going to go enjoy a screening of Impressions de France.

Is there something wrong with that? No. But I've never heard someone hoot and holler for a bundle of excitement over this film, or say it is their favorite attraction at Epcot, or try and catch the first screening of it.

I find it hard to believe that Epcot fanboys have fangirled over this attraction compared to, say, other classics such as American Adventure, Spaceship Earth, Horizons, Living Seas, Maelstrom, heck.. Even Energy has a fan base. But I've never read anywhere about IDF being some grand attraction that deserves everyones attention in comparison to any other classic attraction at Epcot.

No. It has only happened when Disney announces that it is about to change. Facts are facts.

Once again, I could care less if it stays or goes. The attraction is a movie. I care about it just as much as the old Circle of Life film.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How can I be lying if I believe that I'm right?.
Because you don’t know what I wanted to do - and did do - on August 25th. There’s no way you could know. So to make a blanket statement like that is a silly thing to do.

And I’m not lying.

Like many things just because you may not know about or understand why others have an appreciation for something, it doesn’t mean said appreciation can’t exist.

Being intimidating isn’t my style.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Find me a local theme park doesn't doesn't have a drop tower (which is all that Tower of Terror) or a flume ride (all the Pirates is). You're being willfully daft just to push an agenda.
Pirates isn't a flume ride. It's more of a water dark ride with one small drop. Which, for the record, hardly any theme park has any good quality dark rides, much less more than a couple. A flume ride is more of a log-style attraction like Splash Mountain. Carowinds doesn't have a flume ride regardless. They used to, though. They have a river rapids ride with no storyline.

Tower of Terror has a story, and actually is much more than a simple drop tower. It has a random combination of drop sequences, impressive visual effects, state of the art technology, and even can go through different corridors. It is a much different experience from, say, "Drop Tower" at Carowinds.

Again, Impressions de France... Is a movie. I saw a pretty good travelogue film for Iceland a while back at a museum. The smithsonian museums have some pretty cool movies. They're also all either in IMAX, IMAX 3D, or at least just 3D. IDF? Meh... It's ultra wide screen, I guess.

WondersOfLife

Because you don’t know what I wanted to do - and did do - on August 25th. There’s no way you could know. So to make a blanket statement like that is a silly thing to do.

And I’m not lying.

Like many things just because you may not know about or understand why others have an appreciation for something, it doesn’t mean said appreciation can’t exist.
The people on these forums have a funny twisted way of putting words in my mouth that I never said. I can testify that I have said I don't believe anyone has ever outright said the first thing they want to do is see IDF. But if you have been keeping up with all of my posts, you would also know that I have been speaking about the average park guest, and I have said several times that I understand why select few people like this attraction. But, again, for like, the 4th time, it is just that. A select few. Which isn't enough to keep an attraction alive.

I've used country bears as my own personal example of something I love but realize many typical people do not enjoy. Open your ears next time you're at Epcot. I can only count the amount of times I've heard "Is this a ride?" to any of these travelogue films, only to see the guests turn away in disgust at hearing it's "just a movie."

Before jumping in, keep up with my previous posts instead of just thinking I'm attacking everyone who loves this attraction. I've been speaking from a logistical 'chart-like' point of view this whole time. If the attraction was popular, Disney wouldn't see a need to replace it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bocabear

IDF is one of those trhings that is greater than the sum of it's parts...Yes it is a short travelogue film, but rather than tips where to get good crepes or go to the Louvre early on a Wednesday, it gives impressions of the culture and beauty that is quintissentially French. I know the film is old, but amazingly it still holds up... Could they add more to it? Sure, but it is a really well done short introduction to all things France.... Little dialogue, no comedians... just beautiful vistas and music expertly and perfectly cobbled together. I truly go every single trip to EPCOT... This is one of the original country films they got completely right. I am very conflicted about even trying to update it...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Open your ears next time you're at Epcot. I can only count the amount of times I've heard "Is this a ride?" to any of these travelogue films, only to see the guests turn away in disgust at hearing it's "just a movie
Trust me. I know a lot more about Epcot satisfaction, attendance ratios and responses than I should.

(No offence intended in any of this)

Last edited:

andysol

You learn more when going to the country itself. ;) I'll just keep most of those things learned to myself, so as to not derail this thread (any further), save for this - The Croque Monsieur served at Be Our Guest is not an authentic representation. Not saying it's bad, but it's not authentic at all.

You’re telling me that visiting the country will give someone a better representation of that country than the pavilion in world showcase or a sing-a-long?

Color me skeptical...

WondersOfLife

Trust me. I know a lot more about Epcot satisfaction, attendance ratios and responses than I should.

(No offense intended in any of this)
Then you should be able to understand what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I will personally stand outside of Impressions de France at Epcot for several days and ask people what they think of the film. I'm about to join the Disney College Program. I will return to this thread when my information is gathered, and I will admit if I am wrong or right.

lazyboy97o

The people on these forums have a funny twisted way of putting words in my mouth that I never said. I can testify that I have said I don't believe anyone has ever outright said the first thing they want to do is see IDF. But if you have been keeping up with all of my posts, you would also know that I have been speaking about the average park guest, and I have said several times that I understand why select few people like this attraction. But, again, for like, the 4th time, it is just that. A select few. Which isn't enough to keep an attraction alive.
Your words weren’t twisted. You made a ridiculous, broad declaration and keep trying to load it down with so many caveats that it becomes a super specific statement which cannot be questions because it is so particular, but ultimately has no value as an observation. And Disney probably isn’t going to appreciate you harassing guests during your off hours.

WondersOfLife

Your words weren’t twisted. You made a ridiculous, broad declaration and keep trying to load it down with so many caveats that it becomes a super specific statement which cannot be questions because it is so particular, but ultimately has no value as an observation. And Disney probably isn’t going to appreciate you harassing guests during your off hours.

Keeping it back to my original point: The average theme park guest doesn’t not care for this attraction, thus, a reason why disney Gascony the right to update it. Literally all I was saying. It’s not ridiculous, and it’s not broad.

As for your last statement, I’ll gather my info until they ask me to stop asking people “how did you like that attraction?” Simple as that. That’s not harassment. It’s a question with a simple answer.

LittleBuford

As for your last statement, I’ll gather my info until they ask me to stop asking people “how did you like that attraction?” Simple as that. That’s not harassment. It’s a question with a simple answer.

Don’t jeopardise your job by trying to prove a point; it’s not worth it. Sometimes, we need to zoom out and remind ourselves that we are, at the end of the day, talking about a theme park.

Sir_Cliff

Open your ears next time you're at Epcot. I can only count the amount of times I've heard "Is this a ride?" to any of these travelogue films, only to see the guests turn away in disgust at hearing it's "just a movie."

'Sacre bleu! Just a movie?!? I spit on you and your "movie"!'

Come on, you have to admit that we've all heard words to those effect at Impressions de France.

Kman101

As a fellow fan of the Country Bears (obviously!), I understand what you're saying. What I took issue with was your suggestion that no-one outside this forum remains excited for IdF. Without asking every single guest their feelings on the matter, one cannot know what percentage of park-goers enjoy and look forward to the film--I doubt the forum is representative, but there may be more fans out there than you realise.

I do agree with you, however, that IdF lacks the popularity of other kinds of offerings, and one can hardly blame Disney for addressing this issue.

The Bears aren't as unpopular some think. Not every show is going to have a full theater. Like wait times, that doesn't always tell the popularity. (I do love the Country Bears as well; I've seen it many many many many times and I've noticed an increase the last few years of guests who clap to it, laugh with it/at it ...)

LittleBuford

The Bears aren't as unpopular some think. Not every show is going to have a full theater. Like wait times, that doesn't always tell the popularity. (I do love the Country Bears as well; I've seen it many many many many times and I've noticed an increase the last few years of guests who clap to it, laugh with it/at it ...)

I don’t think it’s unpopular per se, but it’s certainly not the draw it was back when they had to convert two shops into holding space for it. Let’s hope your observations of a recent uptick aren’t just anecdotal; I would hate to see this attraction go.

Kman101

I don’t think it’s unpopular per se, but it’s certainly not the draw it was back when they had to convert two shops into holding space for it. Let’s hope your observations of a recent uptick aren’t just anecdotal; I would hate to see this attraction go.

Yeah, it's definitely not "a draw". I agree with that. I just feel like I've noticed a better trend with the audience. Nostalgia is in right now so I think that helps. I'm not saying every guest even really understands or gets it, but it seems they enjoy it. I also feel like I heard on here in the Tiki Room thread (the one about them "flying the coop") that the Bears aren't near the bottom of guest satisfaction. Tiki Birds rate lower for some reason. I hope someone can clarify that.

mikejs78

Premium Member
This whole thing to me is just lazy... A sing along?

Look I get the IP mandate. I've come to terms with it, even if I'm not in favor of it. But it would be so easy to do this right.

"Now alternating with IDF, is French History with Belle". Or "French Architecture with Quasimodo".

This isn't that hard. But a sing-along? Unless it is mainly about French folk songs (I doubt it), this is just lazy.

lazyboy97o

This whole thing to me is just lazy... A sing along?

Look I get the IP mandate. I've come to terms with it, even if I'm not in favor of it. But it would be so easy to do this right.

"Now alternating with IDF, is French History with Belle". Or "French Architecture with Quasimodo".

This isn't that hard. But a sing-along? Unless it is mainly about French folk songs (I doubt it), this is just lazy.
Why do you want to make little kids cry?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom