News Beauty and the Beast sing-along coming to Epcot's France Pavilion

LittleBuford

I can see that this would make a big difference, and I do wonder how many visitors these days are there because they love Disney more than the parks in and of themselves. When I first visited Disneyland and all this began, Beauty & the Beast was just coming out in theatres which is suggestive of the fact that Disney was on the cusp of becoming the cultural behemoth that it soon became. Indeed, I vividly remember wondering before we visited what they could possibly have at Disneyland as I didn't think Disney had really made many big films. What they did have blew my little 10 year-old mind! Perhaps in some way the parks had to be able to stand on their own creatively as a Fox & the Hound Land wasn't going to bring the hoards running? Nowadays the dynamic may well be the reverse: crowds show up wanting to see their favourite film and are disappointed if it's not represented.

An excellent analysis. Thankfully, the non-IP approach is enshrined in enough of the headliners and lands that I don't think that aspect of the parks is really at risk of being lost. I can't see how Main Street USA, for example, could be IP'd into something else, and even World Showcase will remain fundamentally true to its original theming and purpose.

Who knows. Either way, I'll remain bitter and twisted!

Never!

RSoxNo1

Isn't DisneySea full of IP, though?

To me, Epcot still feels very distinctive, and certainly less childish than the Magic Kingdom. I don't see that quality ever being lost, but I understand why you and others really don't like what's happening. Full disclosure: I first experienced the park in 1996 and found it a bit of a letdown, so I'm already less attached to the earlier incarnation than many of you guys are.
DisneySea had distinct areas created and was an all out unique park. Unique doesn't mean IP free. The problem I'm seeing in DisneySea are IPs creeping into areas where it's a bit of a stretch (Toy Story, Nemo, Aladdin). The expansion as their own lands are a bit more manageable.

LittleBuford

DisneySea had distinct areas created and was an all out unique park. Unique doesn't mean IP free. The problem I'm seeing in DisneySea are IPs creeping into areas where it's a bit of a stretch (Toy Story, Nemo, Aladdin). The expansion as their own lands are a bit more manageable.

I hope to visit Tokyo next summer and experience it for myself. It looks incredible.

nor'easter

I don’t get the love for the IDF. How many times can you see the same travelogue film?
How many times can you listen listen to Saint-Saen's booming concerto as you visually rise up the Eiffel Tower? How many times can you enjoy a brilliant sunset? Or a moving sound and light show (Illuminations)? Thankfully, not everything has to be like Rockin'Roller Coaster.

lazyboy97o

How many times can you listen listen to Saint-Saen's booming concerto as you visually rise up the Eiffel Tower? How many times can you enjoy a brilliant sunset? Or a moving sound and light show (Illuminations)? Thankfully, not everything has to be like Rockin'Roller Coaster.
I'm confused, why is a custom made film for a custom made theater better than a movie I have also seen before, so many times in fact that I am familiar with the songs, and can quite literally watch anywhere thanks to the aptly named Movies Anywhere app?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
How many times can you ride that wretched Pirates ride? Or that super duper extra themed drop tower? Or what about that jeep ride that lets you see African animals you can see at a zoo nearby?
...It's a movie. Not quite the same comparison. It's not 3D, heck, not even circle vision. There is no sense of awe about it to the average guest.

It's just about as entertaining as the old film that played after Maelstrom that nobody remembers. The only reason this is remembered is because it's been the only attraction this pavilion has had to offer, not overshadowed by a better attraction (For Norway, that was Maelstrom).

I have never heard a single person EVER say... "I'm so excited to go to Epcot today so that I can go see Impressions de France!" Nope. It has never happened. You'd be lying if you said you have said it. At the most, it's a "Hey we're passing by it. Let's check it out again just for the heck of it" kind of attraction. That is NOT the same comparison as pirates or tower of terror. What is wrong with you.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
How can I watch IDF so many times? The music alone is worth repeated visits.

Something that can be experienced with a good set of Bose headphones and an iTunes download. Play a collage of HD clips of France on YouTube, then boom. Same experience. You can now do it at home.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm also not religiously anti-IP and agree that sometimes it works great. For example, I think Ratatouille will be a nice addition and wish they would put Coco into the Mexico pavilion.

The case of Coco is an illustrative one, though. Here they have a film that just made $800 million worldwide, was well reviewed, won two Oscars, is beloved by many people, and that fits perfectly into one of their theme parks. It doesn't move merchandise and isn't a potential franchise, though, so the ROI calculations don't work and the proposed attraction doesn't go ahead. Imagine if someone at WDI proposed a massive thrill ride based on either Song of the South or The Twilight Zone today! I find it impossible to imagine that the creative possibilities would override the relative weakness of the franchises in getting those proposals green lit. I'm also not sure someone making those sorts of pitches would survive very long!

I still obviously enjoy the parks and the bones are still there of the original approach to the parks to make them interesting and differentiate the parks from one another. As everything is becoming more and more brand-driven, though, I find it harder to get particularly excited about what they're doing. Then again, I got into Disney because of the parks rather than the other way around.

Not only that, I share a birthday with Mickey!
Does Coco really not move merchandise? It was the most popular Halloween costume around the neighborhood this year from what I could tell.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
...It's a movie. Not quite the same comparison. It's not 3D, heck, not even circle vision. There is no sense of awe about it to the average guest.

It's just about as entertaining as the old film that played after Maelstrom that nobody remembers. The only reason this is remembered is because it's been the only attraction this pavilion has had to offer, not overshadowed by a better attraction (For Norway, that was Maelstrom).

I have never heard a single person EVER say... "I'm so excited to go to Epcot today so that I can go see Impressions de France!" Nope. It has never happened. You'd be lying if you said you have said it. At the most, it's a "Hey we're passing by it. Let's check it out again just for the heck of it" kind of attraction. That is NOT the same comparison as pirates or tower of terror. What is wrong with you.
Maelstrom kind of sucked too.

*ducks*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom