News Beauty and the Beast sing-along coming to Epcot's France Pavilion

LittleBuford

It's amazing to me that Disney can be doing this to a park like Epcot while they continue to do good work in preserving the core identity of Animal Kingdom.

How can it be that they see the value in that while failing to see the value of what made EPCOT Center unique in the first place?

Boggling.

Does the public not bear any responsibility? Why would Disney continue to push a model that many people seem not to enjoy as much as the alternatives?

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Having recently been on the DestiNations Discovered Tour in September, I got to witness the mad dash to FEA opening. Then what? There’s nothing else open back there for these families with very young children.

Assuming they open the BatB singalong at 9:00, I could see this working as a morning show, with a switchover to IdF after 1:00 or so.

LittleBuford

My thoughts are 100 percent accurate, I had a meltdown reading these announcements yesterday morning. The only thing stopping me from going bezerk was the fact my boyfriend was with me.

If you really, truly want to see the park destroyed by a natural disaster (!), then your love for it has morphed into something rather worrying. Sort of like someone who wants to kill their ex so that no-one else can have him/her.

But again, I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt, even if you’re telling us that you’re not exaggerating how you feel.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Having recently been on the DestiNations Discovered Tour in September, I got to witness the mad dash to FEA opening. Then what? There’s nothing else open back there for these families with very young children.

Assuming they open the BatB singalong at 9:00, I could see this working as a morning show, with a switchover to IdF after 1:00 or so.

I doubt they will. The reason FEA opens early is because of Akershus doing breakfast. The only other thing that opens is the bakery in France, again for people to get breakfast on their way into the park.

Sir_Cliff

This is a very good point. Some of the more recent offerings, even if done well, are indeed less creative than what we had in the past. Maelstrom, for example, was certainly quirkier (and in that sense more interesting) than FEA, and the Guardians roller coaster is necessarily going to be a less distinctive attraction than what it's replacing. On the one hand, I realise this is a concerning development, but on the other, I can't pretend that some of the older attractions, original though they may have been, always hit the mark. Moreover, some of the stronger recent examples (particularly the Ratatouille ride) reassure me that Disney still has the ability to make creative use of IP. It may be the pixie dust talking, but I'm relatively hopeful for the future.
I agree about some of the older attractions; for example, I find it hard to mourn Universe of Energy. I do wish, though, they weren't just sticking a Guardians of the Galaxy rollercoaster in its place.

What I guess I am mourning is that what I found fascinating when I first visited Disneyland as a kid was how attractions and concepts like Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain, Frontierland, etc. all added up to something unique and interesting. It really made Disneyland feel like something special compared to Universal, even at 10 years-old! When I later visited EPCOT Center, I also found it a fascinating if not always successful concept.

Now I feel like every new announcement is tied to a film. Instead of Adventureland, I get the feeling that today we'd get Moanaland and there'd eventually be a Jungle Book attraction in the middle of it and next-door a Lion King show.

Or maybe I'm just in a bad mood today!

aliceismad

I agree about some of the older attractions; for example, I find it hard to mourn Universe of Energy. I do wish, though, they weren't just sticking a Guardians of the Galaxy rollercoaster in its place.

What I guess I am mourning is that what I found fascinating when I first visited Disneyland as a kid was how attractions and concepts like Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain, Frontierland, etc. all added up to something unique and interesting. It really made Disneyland feel like something special compared to Universal, even at 10 years-old! When I later visited EPCOT Center, I also found it a fascinating if not always successful concept.

Now I feel like every new announcement is tied to a film. Instead of Adventureland, I get the feeling that today we'd get Moanaland and there'd eventually be a Jungle Book attraction in the middle of it and next-door a Lion King show.

This makes sense, and I can certainly understand this argument. Thanks for your articulateness (is that a word)?

ppete1975

Epcot's attendance peaked in 1987, again in 1997 and took until 2017 to surpass that. The piecemeal approach isn't the solution either. The attractions of yesterday needed to be replaced/updated, but the themes did not.

Look at the dedication plaque for guidance:

To all who come to this Place of Joy, Hope and Friendship
Welcome
Epcot is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all.
May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and above all, may it instill a new sense of belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that offers hope to people everywhere.
E. Cardon Walker
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Walt Disney Productions
October 24, 1982

Celebrate discovery, celebrate cultures, inspire greatness and aspire to be better. Nothing that was announced today for Epcot, including the fanboi interim show, Epcot Forever satisfy any of these things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the interim fireworks show, but I'm increasingly devastated that current management shows zero understanding of what made Epcot a success. It's future is questionable at best and disastrous at worst.
So 2027 should be awesome!!

flyerjab

I am excited for this pavilion come 2020. The pavilion itself is a beautiful spot. By that time it will have:

1. Ratatouille E-Ticket trackless ride
2. IDF film
3. BatB sing-along film
4. That weird but enjoyable acrobatic street
show
5. Monsier Paul signature restaurant
6. Chefs de France table service restaurant
7. Cafe quick service restaurant
8. Gelato shop
9. Standard Epcot shopping

I wish every pavilion provided this much to do as it really is a variety to please all different types of fans.

I am an Iger-era WDW fan. I never visited in the 70s, 80s or 90s. Being a fan of today’s Disney, I guess I am used to and appreciate change. The resort as a whole has been in a constant state of change ever since my first visit in 2009. I’ll be honest and say I sometimes feel like I don’t belong in this forum as there are clearly a large number of classic WDW fans here. I don’t agree with most of what is said but I won’t begrudge their passion for what was and still is important to them. For me though, I will simply say I am excited for the next few years and leave it at that.

LittleBuford

I definitely see what you're saying. I guess I'm just less bothered by IPs than others are. They've been used since the earliest days for cheap and low-tech attractions (the Teacups and Fantasyland dark rides spring to mind), and some of the best attractions we have are based on them (e.g., ToT, Splash Mountain). This isn't to say that I would welcome Moanaland over Adventureland--a Disney park wouldn't be a Disney park without the non-IP content and theming. But neither am I opposed to certain attractions and areas (on a limited and judicious basis) being modified or replaced in response to changing times and conditions. No doubt the Country Bear Jamboree is susceptible in this regard, and though I'll be devastated to see it go if they ever decide to get rid of it, the fault will lie with guests for turning away from the attraction rather than with Disney for giving the punters what they want.

On Mickey's birthday of all days!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom