News Beauty and the Beast sing-along coming to Epcot's France Pavilion

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Why would the queue change? Unless you just mean the influx of screaming children that’ll be there.

The holding room is rather small. It's likely it hardly ever holds a full theatre's worth since IdF is rarely full. That will change with a BatB Sing-along. The queue will snake out into the courtyard, and the courtyard's in a tight pinch there.

Oriolesmagic

Truthfully, I'm pretty crushed about this. I know I'm in the minority here but Impressions de France may be my favorite attraction at EPCOT and has been for years. This is pretty surely a sign that it's nearing its end.

I get the need to move forward but I absolutely do not get the desire to shoehorn a BatB attraction into another park when you could already have two in Magic Kingdom (including the restaurant) and a whole stage show in DHS.

What's next? Beauty and the Beastly Kingdomme at DAK?

MuteSuperstar

The holding room is rather small. It's likely it hardly ever holds a full theatre's worth since IdF is rarely full. That will change with a BatB Sing-along. The queue will snake out into the courtyard, and the courtyard's in a tight pinch there.

Ugh yes so this will wreck any ambiance left too.

Kman101

You mean from the era when Disney built Florida’s reputation as a world-class resort?

WDW’s popularity grew specifically because of its variety as the “Vacation Kingdom of the World.” It was never intended to be one massive Fantasyland.

Yep. At the core of their post @Cast Member Voice isn't wrong. It's just not what some want to hear. I still love the parks, but my eyes are open to how they do things.

LittleBuford

Honestly, I see Frozen as fitting in Norway more than BatB in France. That might seem counter-intuitive as BatB is actually set in France, but there's far more reference to Norwegian culture in Frozen than French culture in Beauty & the Beast. You'd only really have to replace all the "bonjours" at the beginning with "guten tags" and it could be set in Germany or Austria for all the cultural specificity it has. That's also why a Ratatouille attraction seemed like a better fit for the pavilion than BatB when there seemed to be some competition between the two IPs.

Eh, I guess this is the direction the parks are going in more generally and there's not much that can be done. It's always been entertainment for the masses, but they at least used to aim a little higher conceptually with Epcot.

Perhaps it's because it's one of my favourite films, or because I love singalongs in general, but I'm not at all opposed to this addition. On the contrary, I'm rather looking forward to it. I would feel differently if it were replacing IdF, but that doesn't seem to be on the cards.

While I see your point about cultural specificity, I don't think any of the "international" films would stand up to scrutiny if judged by that criterion. They're all highly Disneyfied concoctions, as, for that matter, is World Showcase itself.

Sir_Cliff

While I see your point about cultural specificity, I don't think any of the "international" films would stand up to scrutiny if judged by that criterion. They're all highly Disneyfied concoctions, as, for that matter, is World Showcase itself.
Interestingly enough, the one possible exception to that is Coco... and that is the one they have chosen not to go forward with!

I agree with your point, but I'd argue that some films at least feature Disneyfied versions of different countries and cultures that make some sort of sense within a country pavilion. Ratatouille, for example, is pure Pixar, but it is very clearly set in Paris and riffs on French culture quite a bit. I don't think Beauty & the Beast does at all, beyond the odd French word being dropped into the opening song.

Also must say that I love, love, love IdF and fear this could be the beginning of the end. I'm not particularly enamoured with the circle vision movies and usually give them a miss, but this film is one of my favourite attractions at Epcot.

All that said, I do understand why you would be looking forward to the attraction simply because you loved the film and its music. In my case, they've really won me over by putting Coco and Hercules front and centre in the concept art for the new nighttime show as they are two of my absolute favourites. I'm not sure quite why Hercules has grown on me as the years have gone on as I don't think I was a massive fan at the time, but that's something for a psychologist to tell me one day!

mikejs78

Premium Member
Truthfully, I'm pretty crushed about this. I know I'm in the minority here but Impressions de France may be my favorite attraction at EPCOT and has been for years. This is pretty surely a sign that it's nearing its end.

I get the need to move forward but I absolutely do not get the desire to shoehorn a BatB attraction into another park when you could already have two in Magic Kingdom (including the restaurant) and a whole stage show in DHS.

What's next? Beauty and the Beastly Kingdomme at DAK?
Why would they spend money updating the film if they were planning on shuttering it? 🤔

LittleBuford

Interestingly enough, the one possible exception to that is Coco... and that is the one they have chosen not to go forward with!

I agree with your point, but I'd argue that some films at least feature Disneyfied versions of different countries and cultures that make some sort of sense within a country pavilion. Ratatouille, for example, is pure Pixar, but it is very clearly set in Paris and riffs on French culture quite a bit. I don't think Beauty & the Beast does at all, beyond the odd French word being dropped into the opening song.

Also must say that I love, love, love IdF and fear this could be the beginning of the end. I'm not particularly enamoured with the circle vision movies and usually give them a miss, but this film is one of my favourite attractions at Epcot.

All that said, I do understand why you would be looking forward to the attraction simply because you loved the film and its music. In my case, they've really won me over by putting Coco and Hercules front and centre in the concept art for the new nighttime show as they are two of my absolute favourites. I'm not sure quite why Hercules has grown on me as the years have gone on as I don't think I was a massive fan at the time, but that's something for a psychologist to tell me one day!

You mean Lumiere singing "After all, Miss, this is France!" in a thick French accent isn't enough to convince you? ;) You're right, of course. The problem, I think, is that all of these old European fairy tales are so timeless and placeless that it's difficult to give them specificity. Original stories like Coco and Ratatouille face less of a challenge in this regard.

IdF is splendid. It does worry me that the introduction of the singalong is a roundabout way of phasing it out, but if the powers that be really have decided to get rid of it, I think they would do so anyway.

I adore Hercules--one of my very favourites, from the aesthetics to the music. And in spite of how stylised he is, Hercules is strangely attractive to me (something else for a psychologist to explain!).

Last edited:

Princess Leia

This is odd.

Bienvenue to France, where your entertainment options are French street performers, a Ratatouille ride, and depending on the time you get here... *checks notes*... a lovely French travelogue or a Beauty and the Beast sing along.

I’m fine with a Belle M&G (I have a fond memory as a kid of meeting her, the Beast, and Esmeralda all together in Epcot), but this sounds like they could eventually kick IDF out of the theater someday if they wanted to.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
They took a theater that showed one movie that many people thought were lame, but a relatively small group (EPCOT Purists) thought was cool and added a second show that many people will think is lame, but a relatively small group (young kids) will think is cool.

If IDF was filling theaters, then this would be a bad move. But if IDF was only fillling the theater half full or less, then this makes sense. Everyone who wants IDF can still see it. Everyone who wants a cheesey sing along can see that. Two different shows for two different demographics. Neither would fill the theater on an average day except maybe now with only half a day of showings.

As far as Disney's past patterns, this is most similar to the Pixar Orchestra in the BatB theater at Studios. Pixar ended, BatB stayed. So, unless the new show is significantly more popular or well received than IDF, I wouldn't worry about it going away.

LittleBuford

By cranking out easy, cheap amusements based on movies nearly 30 years old?

I understand the rest of your criticism, but why does the movie's age count against the singalong? The usual complaint here is that Disney is just capitalising on the latest IP fad; at least in this case, the film is one that has stood the test of time and become an acknowledged classic.

doctornick

I'm not either. I've come to the sad realization we're a very small minority. But again, we all like different things, so, as I say 'each their own and all that' I guess ...

To be fair, this seems like a great solution to that "issue". People who want to see IDF can still see (or perhaps an updated version) and people want to see Disney toons in WS can do that. This setup actually would appeal to a greater number of folks than either individually.

I'm curious if they will alternate throughout the day or each will be part of the day (e.g. BatB morning and IDF evening)

tirian

I understand the rest of your criticism, but why does the movie's age count against the singalong? The usual complaint here is that Disney is just capitalising on the latest IP fad; at least in this case, the film is one that has stood the test of time and become an acknowledged classic.
Please don’t misunderstand me; I love the original classics and the Renaissance movies! I was poking at the idea that the show would be a modern addition to WS.

doctornick

For @marni1971 or anyone who would know, what are the details for the new show? Will it have live actors like the historians in the Frozen sing a long or will it just be parts of the movie shown with a follow the bouncing ball kinda thing? The difference between the two and overall execution is what will make or break this to me as a "good" addition or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom