Beauty and the Beast dark ride

cheezbat

If they were to add the ride to WDW, it doesn't seem like the area occupied by the circus tents itself is a large enough plot. Tokyo's ride building is rather enormous, from my rough measurements about 75,000-76,000 square feet (including the entrance and queue). I'm unsure if that entire space is occupied by the ride, or if there are other miscellaneous things that could be removed without any major impact. But until we see some blueprints, i'll err on the side of caution and assume that all of the space is necessary for the ride itself.

And if it does use that entire space, it'll stand alongside Disney's largest dark rides (at least ones that don't have multiple levels). To put this into perspective, the two large buildings at Disneyland's Fantasyland that contain their 5 classic dark rides (Pan, Snow, Toad, Alice and Pinocchio along with the included gift shops, restaurants and bathrooms) are less than 70,000 square feet combined.

Even being extremely generous (including the storage building behind the tents and hugging close against the service roads), the circus tents occupy at most about 66,000 square feet. If you include the circular courtyard nestled between Pete's sideshow and the Casey Jr Splash area, you can just barely get to 74,000 sqft. Mind you, either measurement would make the area insanely tight. Guests would be walking up against a tall and visible showbuilding. Without much room to properly hide it with decent scenery. Tokyo's is pulled farther back and hidden by a lot of extra surrounding scenery and forced perspective effects. It should also be mentioned that the shape of the building itself wouldn't fit into this space in the same way, the space is much more narrow than Tokyo's show building. So even if they were to squish the attraction into this space, the building and ride would need to undergo major re-engineering to fit. Something Disney is not particularly keen on these days (preferrng 1:1 clones right down to exact spacial dimension).

As Martin stated, the land nestled between the railroad and existing New Fantasyland is not an official expansion plot. Nevertheless, i'd still like to see it used. Besides the land itself needing work (and possible removal and relocation of what I assume is a retention pond up there), the service road would need to be rerouted and wrapped around whatever building they put there. Though I guess this is getting into armchair imagineering territory now.
Demolish the Speedway and use that plot for the ride. It’s the worst ride in the park now.

MerlinTheGoat

Demolish the Speedway and use that plot for the ride. It’s the worst ride in the park now.
I've never been a big fan of the Speedway, at least the one at WDW. But for the foreseeable future, Magic Kingdom needs to stop removing and replacing existing attractions and instead actually massively grow its roster of rides. There's plenty of space for it elsewhere if they put the necessary effort and planning into it.

The Speedway land is a poor place to put this particular building regardless. In Japan, the building is properly pulled back away from areas traveled and seen by guests. And there's enough space in front of the building to properly execute the necessary forced perspective effects on the castle and surrounding mountain scenery to hide the front of the show building. This wouldn't work well with the Speedway land. The building would be crammed into a space that guests see from all sides. The disguised forced perspective scenery wouldn't work either. It's also taller than other Fantasyland ride buildings as well, making hiding it even more of a problem.

If WDW were to get the ride, they need to keep the show building pulled back as far as possible from the actual visible areas of the park.

Last edited:

NickMaio

I've never been a big fan of the Speedway, at least the one at WDW. But for the foreseeable future, Magic Kingdom needs to stop removing and replacing existing attractions and instead actually massively grow its roster of rides. There's plenty of space for it elsewhere if they put the necessary effort and planning into it.

The Speedway land is a poor place to put this particular building regardless. In Japan, the building is properly pulled back away from areas traveled and seen by guests. And there's enough space in front of the building to properly execute the necessary forced perspective effects on the castle and surrounding mountain scenery to hide the front of the show building. This wouldn't work well with the Speedway land. The building would be crammed into a space that guests see from all sides. The disguised forced perspective scenery wouldn't work either. It's also taller than other Fantasyland ride buildings as well, making hiding it even more of a problem.

If WDW were to get the ride, they need to keep the show building pulled back as far as possible from the actual visible areas of the park.
Agreed - - - its just a cheap move from a billion dollar company. Leave the rides for us nostalgia folks.
I want my little guy to be able to experience the rides that I grew up with and experience them with him. That is part of what makes Disney a magical place.

There is more than enough space and infrastructure to support more rides.

Braden20

I would love to see Disney add or announce Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast at Walt Disney World in Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland someday soon in the future. I heard that the same attraction is Opening Soon in Tokyo Disneyland's Fantasyland on September 28th, 2020 at the D23 Expo 2021 or Destination D Event

TrainsOfDisney

So according to our resident genius @marni1971 Beauty and the Beast was on the tale for EPCOT, but got turned down for Ratatouille....

I believe it was on the table for New fantasyland before that. Here’s a question for anyone who has access to the measurements... could you fit the beauty and the beast dark ride into the show building of new fantasyland? I’m going to guess the answer is yes!

Edit- looks like no based on google map images. It does look like littler mermaid size attraction would fit.

Giss Neric

I posted this in the “Disney Parks Around the World” board, but before everyone gets allll jealous, remember: Tokyo may have this, but do they have cardboard cutouts on sticks and other lite dress up options?

Checkmate, OLC.
I certainly would put this above Ratatouille and Runaway Railway but below ROTR in terms of trackless rides.

Surferboy567

Just watched it here is my take:

SETUP: I’ve only seen this though a video thoughts can change, I also only speak English so that could affect my judgement not being able to understand.

QUEUE: 1st Room is super cool reminds me of ROTR instead of a hanger bay it’s the beast’s castle (obviously it’s much much smaller).

The loading room is weird...I get it’s a kitchen and we are meant to be riding in a teacup? soup dish? So it makes sense we are loading in there super new fantasyland(ish).

My main issue with this is why can we hear the be our guest scene while in the loading area. Not a fan of that at all.

Before I talk about the actual ride...

RIDE VEHICLES: Without a doubt the coolest thing about this attraction. I love how they dance with each other and how it pivots on a motion base. (Is it a motion base?). Really is a standout.

RIDE: I’ll break this down scene by scene but before I do this: I am honestly disappointed and was kinda expecting more. Let me explain, every scene is one room with one or two center focal points. They are big open spaces with not much going on. Rise also has big open spaces but they aren’t barren like this.

BE OUR GUEST: The setup is cool Lumiere looks cool, but beyond the impressive Belle and Lumiere the scene is ok. Even what is going on the table isn’t as advanced as I expected. The end however is cool when the lights come on and they whole room comes alive.

...oh and Belle on chair still looks like she is staring into your soul.

SOMETHING THERE: This scene is barren. I enjoy how the cars dance with each other here. Beyond 2? AA’s in here not much going on.

another side thing in the POV I watched they stalled in this room for a while which is unavoidable but definitely took me out of the experience.

TRANSFORMATION: The POV didn’t have a super clear view of it but looked really cool from what I saw. Definitely a fan of this scene.

BALL ROOM- Very cool scene the waltzing AA’s are really sweet. I wish the other AA’s were that impressive. Dancing in this scene was also cool.

END ROOM- Really liked seeing the rose, beyond that just an unloading room.

OVERALL: I’m kinda disappointed, it is FAR from bad not even close. Just not as impressed as I thought I would be. This at least for me isn’t the pinnacle of dark rides.

* Kinda a weird observation but what is with B & B in the parks and being on EXTREME fast forward. We start the attraction after the songs “Belle” and “Gaston” occur already leaving out two great songs. Then we just kinda whiz past “The Mob Song”.

UNCgolf

In response to @Surferboy567 above:

I thought the Be Our Guest and ballroom scenes were fantastic, and the transformation as well. The Mob Song/village attack could have been more fleshed out, and the snow scene is sparse and lacking energy.

Also agree about skipping out on the opening songs, but I believe that's at least partially because of where the ride is located. In TDL, I think you're already inside Belle's village when you enter the ride, so it's like you're leaving the village (where those two songs take place) and entering the movie as Belle gets to the castle. It wouldn't really make sense in that setting to go back into the village in the ride.

Overall it seems like the ride could have used a couple of extra scenes. With that said, though, it still looks like an excellent ride and I really hope it makes it to the Magic Kingdom one day.

Surferboy567

In response to @Surferboy567 above:

I thought the Be Our Guest and ballroom scenes were fantastic, and the transformation as well. The Mob Song/village attack could have been more fleshed out, and the snow scene is sparse and lacking energy.

Also agree about skipping out on the opening songs, but I believe that's at least partially because of where the ride is located. In TDL, I think you're already inside Belle's village when you enter the ride, so it's like you're leaving the village (where those two songs take place) and entering the movie as Belle gets to the castle. It wouldn't really make sense in that setting to go back into the village in the ride.

Overall it seems like the ride could have used a couple of extra scenes. With that said, though, it still looks like an excellent ride and I really hope it makes it to the Magic Kingdom one day.

I definitely overall agree with you. This would be fantastic in MK however, I think it could be improved. For the reasons I said above. As for the you are already in Belle’s village thing that can be easily explained away. Kinda like in Enchanted tales with Belle with the magic mirror. Having those two scenes would really enhance the experience. It may even quell some of the weird pacing.

UNCgolf

I definitely overall agree with you. This would be fantastic in MK however, I think it could be improved. For the reasons I said above. As for the you are already in Belle’s village thing that can be easily explained away. Kinda like in Enchanted tales with Belle with the magic mirror. Having those two scenes would really enhance the experience. It may even quell some of the weird pacing.

That wouldn't be an issue in Magic Kingdom because you're not in Belle's village (at least not the way you are in Tokyo). But I know that if they ever did bring it over, it would almost definitely be a clone. I don't think there's any way they'd add additional scenes.

Braden20

I think this would be a perfect addition to Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom in the Future. However, I do not speak Japanese I'm trying to understand the characters and songs speaking Japanese and translate them to English

Surferboy567

That wouldn't be an issue in Magic Kingdom because you're not in Belle's village (at least not the way you are in Tokyo). But I know that if they ever did bring it over, it would almost definitely be a clone. I don't think there's any way they'd add additional scenes.

Yea they are unlikely to make any additional scenes. Still would be a nice addition maybe they can add to existing scenes? Unlikely though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom