Beauty and the Beast dark ride

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
A Beauty and the Beast dark ride makes perfect sense for the MK and the space is also there so that makes sense as well. The problem that stands in the way and what seems to happen quite often with Disney Execs. is what makes sense usually never comes to be. I hope I am wrong as I would love to see this happen.
I agree 100%. Welcome to the Disney boards! :)

Letteyeti

The New Fantasyland fell way short and maybe that is because they went over budget on other projects and just ran out of budgeted money for what could have been something really spectacular in the New Fantasyland. What seems to happen is Disney comes up with a really great idea like this one and runs with it or awhile getting it half done and then another huge idea springs up and they go and run with that abandoning or letting the other idea fall short. I truly think that is what happened with the New Fantasyland idea. The good thing is there is still space and great ideas to add to it if they ever do so.

cookiee_munster

I often wondered whether a beauty and the beast ride would come to Florida seeing what's being done over in Tokyo. I didn't know whether (if it did come) if it was possible to go on a new piece of land or whether it would have to take up the current Beauty footprint and replace the Restaurant/Meet&Greet.

I think it would be an absolute travesty if a dark ride based on this animation didn't come to the park. I know the little mermaid started up the resurgence but i think Disney have Beauty & The Beast to really thank for bringing back their popularity.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
I often wondered whether a beauty and the beast ride would come to Florida seeing what's being done over in Tokyo. I didn't know whether (if it did come) if it was possible to go on a new piece of land or whether it would have to take up the current Beauty footprint and replace the Restaurant/Meet&Greet.

I think it would be an absolute travesty if a dark ride based on this animation didn't come to the park. I know the little mermaid started up the resurgence but i think Disney have Beauty & The Beast to really thank for bringing back their popularity.
If we had the choice of the restaurant/meet and greet or the ride, I'm choosing the ride. I would have no problem with Disney demolishing both.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
True. I wonder if they have empty land in Fantasyland to build the ride. @marni1971 does Disney have land to build the ride at Magic Kingdom?
Outside of the berm opposite Starland was an expansion pad. Given it’s changed a bit since then thats unlikely. Anything north of the current park was not part of the original or planned expansion area. Of course anything is possible (almost) but it depends how much money and disruption they would be willing to factor in.

I still favour removing the tents.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
Outside of the berm opposite Starland was an expansion pad. Given it’s changed a bit since then thats unlikely. Anything north of the current park was not part of the original or planned expansion area. Of course anything is possible (almost) but it depends how much money and disruption they would be willing to factor in.
Thanks for the reply Marni! :) I hope we could see the ride show up in the park.

With all that has taken place with the shutdown of all the Disney Parks worldwide, I highly doubt a new concept as good as it may seem will come to be any time in the near future.They have enough unfinished business to take care of first and then maybe years down the road this idea might fall into place. Unfortunately right now is not the time.

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
With all that has taken place with the shutdown of all the Disney Parks worldwide, I highly doubt a new concept as good as it may seem will come to be any time in the near future.They have enough unfinished business to take care of first and then maybe years down the road this idea might fall into place. Unfortunately right now is not the time.
Yeah budgets are going to be cut and projects will probably be delayed or canceled.

MerlinTheGoat

If they were to add the ride to WDW, it doesn't seem like the area occupied by the circus tents itself is a large enough plot. Tokyo's ride building is rather enormous, from my rough measurements about 75,000-76,000 square feet (including the entrance and queue). I'm unsure if that entire space is occupied by the ride, or if there are other miscellaneous things that could be removed without any major impact. But until we see some blueprints, i'll err on the side of caution and assume that all of the space is necessary for the ride itself.

And if it does use that entire space, it'll stand alongside Disney's largest dark rides (at least ones that don't have multiple levels). To put this into perspective, the two large buildings at Disneyland's Fantasyland that contain their 5 classic dark rides (Pan, Snow, Toad, Alice and Pinocchio along with the included gift shops, restaurants and bathrooms) are less than 70,000 square feet combined.

Even being extremely generous (including the storage building behind the tents and hugging close against the service roads), the circus tents occupy at most about 66,000 square feet. If you include the circular courtyard nestled between Pete's sideshow and the Casey Jr Splash area, you can just barely get to 74,000 sqft. Mind you, either measurement would make the area insanely tight. Guests would be walking up against a tall and visible showbuilding. Without much room to properly hide it with decent scenery. Tokyo's is pulled farther back and hidden by a lot of extra surrounding scenery and forced perspective effects. It should also be mentioned that the shape of the building itself wouldn't fit into this space in the same way, the space is much more narrow than Tokyo's show building. So even if they were to squish the attraction into this space, the building and ride would need to undergo major re-engineering to fit. Something Disney is not particularly keen on these days (preferrng 1:1 clones right down to exact spacial dimension).

As Martin stated, the land nestled between the railroad and existing New Fantasyland is not an official expansion plot. Nevertheless, i'd still like to see it used. Besides the land itself needing work (and possible removal and relocation of what I assume is a retention pond up there), the service road would need to be rerouted and wrapped around whatever building they put there. Though I guess this is getting into armchair imagineering territory now.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom