News Beaches & Cream closing Aug 5 for refurb and expansion

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thank you Steve. I did not know if any part of that arcade were staying. Happy Christmas, too!!

Happy Christmas to you too!

DSC03306-1.jpg

DSC03308-2.jpg

DSC03309-3.jpg

Hcalvert

I made reservations in March and June to go as I like the reuben and like getting 20% off with my AP. I figured they upped the amount of space since I had no problem getting the reservations. Last time I went in July, the server dropped someone's ice cream and it splattered all over the place--the floor and a lot of the customers (me too). This was due to so little space. It looks like the space has been sorted somewhat, but still looks like it will be cramped in a full restaurant. I wonder if you can request to sit in the seats at the bar instead of a table.

Poly1974

The old was tacky and just looked gross. If that’s what they use to look like then no thanks. IM not a fan of modernism taking over everything but this is better by far IMO of course

I couldn't disagree more. I go to Disney to be taken to a different time and/or place . The tackiness was a big part of the charm for me. It put you back in the time of the old soda shops. Next they will fill Sci-Fi Dine-in with Honda Accords because the old cars are tacky and out of date. I hate how almost everything that gets refurbed lately at WDW seems to get a more generic/modern/watered down look. Everything about this refurb looks awful, the chairs, the flooring, the ceiling, the details on the walls (or lack there-of). I cannot understand why you would want to sit at a counter with a piece of glass right in front of you. ? There was a certain charm to sitting at the counter and chatting with your server. Now you have to turn back over your shoulder to order?

Just like the Polynesian lobby is just another lobby since they ripped the fountain out (and my heart), Beaches and Cream is now just another WDW restaurant. I'm so disappointed looking at these pictures.

peter11435

I couldn't disagree more. I go to Disney to be taken to a different time and/or place . The tackiness was a big part of the charm for me. It put you back in the time of the old soda shops. Next they will fill Sci-Fi Dine-in with Honda Accords because the old cars are tacky and out of date. I hate how almost everything that gets refurbed lately at WDW seems to get a more generic/modern/watered down look. Everything about this refurb looks awful, the chairs, the flooring, the ceiling, the details on the walls (or lack there-of). I cannot understand why you would want to sit at a counter with a piece of glass right in front of you. ***? There was a certain charm to sitting at the counter and chatting with your server. Now you have to turn back over your shoulder to order?

Just like the Polynesian lobby is just another lobby since they ripped the fountain out (and my heart), Beaches and Cream is now just another WDW restaurant. I'm so disappointed looking at these pictures.
The tackiness of the original did nothing to place you in the time of a soda soup. The tackiness was a product of the 90’s design trends of when it was built not the era it was aiming for.

Poly1974

The tackiness of the original did nothing to place you in the time of a soda soup. The tackiness was a product of the 90’s design trends of when it was built not the era it was aiming for.

The tackiness the original placed ME in the time of a soda shop. It was over the top and I enjoyed it. Regardless of the validity of your opinion of the original design, the new design is boring and lacks much in the way of theme. One big yawn IMO.

FigmentForver96

I couldn't disagree more. I go to Disney to be taken to a different time and/or place . The tackiness was a big part of the charm for me. It put you back in the time of the old soda shops. Next they will fill Sci-Fi Dine-in with Honda Accords because the old cars are tacky and out of date. I hate how almost everything that gets refurbed lately at WDW seems to get a more generic/modern/watered down look. Everything about this refurb looks awful, the chairs, the flooring, the ceiling, the details on the walls (or lack there-of). I cannot understand why you would want to sit at a counter with a piece of glass right in front of you. ***? There was a certain charm to sitting at the counter and chatting with your server. Now you have to turn back over your shoulder to order?

Good for you. You can not like it and I’ll keep liking it. And the world shall keep spinning. Merry Christmas

Casper Gutman

Good for you. You can not like it and I’ll keep liking it. And the world shall keep spinning. Merry Christmas
The problem is that folks that like the bland, minimalist style can find it in every mid- to up-scale hotel in the world. Folks who like the extensive theming could find it only at Disney parks and a VERY few other places, and now Disney is abandoning it. So it isn’t really as simple as you make it.

rowrbazzle

I visited Hawaii a few years ago and stayed at a nice hotel. The lobby at the Polynesian is more themed than that hotel or the few other hotels I stopped in during my trip. I can't imagine anyone not knowing what hotel they were at when entering the Poly lobby.

eliza61nyc

The problem is that folks that like the bland, minimalist style can find it in every mid- to up-scale hotel in the world. Folks who like the extensive theming could find it only at Disney parks and a VERY few other places, and now Disney is abandoning it. So it isn’t really as simple as you make it.
. People keep saying that and the old stand by " it looks like a mall", well I've got malls out the wazoo on the East coast, not a darn one of them look like anything in Disney. I've been to tons of Hilton garden inn and Marriott's, again mainly on the east coast but never had a eating area that has any resemblance to this.

As always I'll wait until I see it in person before trashing. I will say the pictures don't look bad, they aren't spectacular but no way in heckdom do they resemble a BR.

My home resort is BC and it was NEVER extensive theming. It always was understated. The old B&C also wasn't crazy themed. Outside of the counter area it was quite ordinary.

build_it

I'm not sure the biggest issue is whether the style is over the top or not, or minimalist or not. IMHO the issue is that this is off the shelf style. There isn't anything they installed that I can run out and source myself. Drop in ceiling tile to somewhat resemble a pressed tin ceiling, a cluster of pendant lights, the tile - I could probably find all of this (or something very similar) in short order.

Older WDW designs featured something unique that you weren't likely to be able to find or see anywhere else. Example: Ice cream cone lights. Tacky to some, loved by others, but not something you just picked up on-line or at a store. I think that is the issue.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Definitely a lot more space, but as is typical of these refubs, we've lost a lot charm and details. Hopefully more items are added back to the walls in the coming weeks.

Also, I don't know who chose that new floor tile but it is horribly out of place in a restaurant purporting to be an old fashioned soda fountain.

New:
View attachment 436006

Old (from the WDW website):
View attachment 436005
How utterly bland.....

Flynnwriter

The remodel is PATHETIC and another sign someone is hellbent on making Disney Resorts look like everyplace else. Gone is the time, place and story of The Beach Club. Now we are given HGTV pendant lights from every other place and Disney famed prints that tell us some designer remembered that they had to incorporate Disney into the place. Sad and amateurish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom