News Beaches & Cream closing Aug 5 for refurb and expansion

My issue is that some of Disney's resorts (most) are meant to look like another time. This place was supposed to look like a '50s soda fountain where guests were being transported back to that time. New Disney is very clearly set in 2019. So locations are no longer themed to look like they are from the past and guests are being transported back to that time. They are being decorated to kind of, sort of look reminiscent of old design elements.

So it's kind of like a Denny's.
I think that’s the point though. All of these places that are being renovated just feel dated. Personally I’m a huge fan of them looking reminiscent of an old ice cream parlor rather than a 100% reproduction. If I wanted an authentic 1950’s ice cream parlor I’d go to a historical village like Greenfield Village in Detroit.

I go to Disney for the fantasy and erasure of the real world. I want something that’s clean, timeless, and doesn’t feel stuck in a certain time. The last time I was at the Beach Club the whole resort felt dated and aged. My friends and myself are all drawn to these newly refreshed areas. We like the modern twist as opposed to something that frankly felt like a Johnny Rockets the last time I was in.

Another unpopular opinion on here but everyone in my friend group absolutely loves the renovation to the Poly lobby. It’s the same situation here. Prior to it was dated, dark, and stuck in time. Now it’s open, fresh, modern and clean.

It really could be that I feel like most of these spaces were previously over-designed. And I really appreciate the minimalist approach they’re taking here. I don’t think I’m the only one in my demographic who feels this way either.

aladdin2007

It doesn't look like one in the picture so I don't expect it to in person. It looks like the breakfast buffet at a Hilton Garden Inn.

epic fail then, there is just no reason to go to these locations anymore, they are all becoming sub par and being dethemed into typical hotel chain looks. Will see in person, maybe it will come out better, but they sure are removing the Disney out of Disney all over the place for boring and bland.

ToTBellHop

epic fail then, there is just no reason to go to these locations anymore, they are all becoming sub par and being dethemed into typical hotel chain looks. Will see in person, maybe it will come out better, but they sure are removing the Disney out of Disney all over the place for boring and bland.
That certainly does seem to be the trend in dining, at the shops, and at the resorts. I pray it never comes to the rides.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
You mean instagramming a Kitchen Sink doesn't do it for you? ;)

Epcot82Guy

I will again reserve official judgment until we get pictures. But, recent concept-art-to-reality suggests another let down in theme.

The part I don't get is how they think this is timeless and long-lasting. It reads current trends loosely inspired by 50s themes to me. That won't age well - much like Grand Floridian Cafe, Citricos, Captain's Grille, etc. didn't. Period design has to be carried through a bit more if you don't want to redo it every few years. I guess this is a blank canvas of sorts, but that trend leaves things feeling quite dull.

Bocabear

I think that’s the point though. All of these places that are being renovated just feel dated. Personally I’m a huge fan of them looking reminiscent of an old ice cream parlor rather than a 100% reproduction. If I wanted an authentic 1950’s ice cream parlor I’d go to a historical village like Greenfield Village in Detroit.

I go to Disney for the fantasy and erasure of the real world. I want something that’s clean, timeless, and doesn’t feel stuck in a certain time. The last time I was at the Beach Club the whole resort felt dated and aged. My friends and myself are all drawn to these newly refreshed areas. We like the modern twist as opposed to something that frankly felt like a Johnny Rockets the last time I was in.

Another unpopular opinion on here but everyone in my friend group absolutely loves the renovation to the Poly lobby. It’s the same situation here. Prior to it was dated, dark, and stuck in time. Now it’s open, fresh, modern and clean.

It really could be that I feel like most of these spaces were previously over-designed. And I really appreciate the minimalist approach they’re taking here. I don’t think I’m the only one in my demographic who feels this way either.
Do you work for Disney or any subsidiary of the Disney company or employed by their marketing team?
I have heard the exact opposite from my friends and family...they (and I ) are sad that the beautiful signature spaces at these hotels and venues are becoming more commonplace... not Disney placemaking but just a Baskin Robbins. This is a big BOO!
If you want everything de-themed I suggest taking your vacation at the Mall of the Millennia and stay at the local Hilton Garden Inn... it would certainly be cheaper.

Do you work for Disney or any subsidiary of the Disney company or employed by their marketing team?
I have heard the exact opposite from my friends and family...they (and I ) are sad that the beautiful signature spaces at these hotels and venues are becoming more commonplace... not Disney placemaking but just a Baskin Robbins. This is a big BOO!
If you want everything de-themed I suggest taking your vacation at the Mall of the Millennia and stay at the local Hilton Garden Inn... it would certainly be cheaper.
No. I don’t work for Disney in any capacity. I only vacation there a few times a year. :cool:

I’m not saying that I want everything de-themed. I’m saying that some of these places are overdone and feel very dated. I think you missed my point about my demographic group. Which you and your friends are clearly not part of, apples to oranges there.

My friends and I appreciate and love the nostalgia of Disney, but we also like to see places that are forward looking and not stuck in the past. I think this design does that. It looks like an ice cream parlor without being dated and stuck in the past. I see a lot of design elements that nod to the past though. And I appreciate those touches very much.

Bocabear

No. I don’t work for Disney in any capacity. I only vacation there a few times a year. :cool:

I’m not saying that I want everything de-themed. I’m saying that some of these places are overdone and feel very dated. I think you missed my point about my demographic group. Which you and your friends are clearly not part of, apples to oranges there.

My friends and I appreciate and love the nostalgia of Disney, but we also like to see places that are forward looking and not stuck in the past. I think this design does that. It looks like an ice cream parlor without being dated and stuck in the past. I see a lot of design elements that nod to the past though. And I appreciate those touches very much.
It's an ice cream parlor in a nostalgic Beach Club themed resort.
I have no desire to visit a de-themed Baskin Robbins...
Part of the fun is being is unique and beautiful environments...not places you can go in your own home town...
OK modernize it, but bring some wow factor... but they are not doing that either... just stripping it down to the commonplace... The Disney brand was built on theme architecture and placemaking... I think they are undoing what made Disney special... See what Universal is doing ... Cabana Bay, their moderate resort.. Fresh Clean and undeniably nostalgic... You can have both...

It's an ice cream parlor in a nostalgic Beach Club themed resort.
I have no desire to visit a de-themed Baskin Robbins...
Part of the fun is being is unique and beautiful environments...not places you can go in your own home town...
OK modernize it, but bring some wow factor... but they are not doing that either... just stripping it down to the commonplace... The Disney brand was built on theme architecture and placemaking... I think they are undoing what made Disney special... See what Universal is doing ... Cabana Bay, their moderate resort.. Fresh Clean and undeniably nostalgic... You can have both...
You keep comparing the rendering to a Baskin Robbins. But I’ve never seen a Baskin Robbins that looks anything like this rendering.
I don’t see any difference here to the restaurant areas of Cabana Bay.

Bocabear

You keep comparing the rendering to a Baskin Robbins. But I’ve never seen a Baskin Robbins that looks anything like this rendering.
I don’t see any difference here to the restaurant areas of Cabana Bay.
Cabana Bay is a moderate priced resort based on Mid century modern architecture... Yes that was part of my point... but for the style they were going for, Cabana Bay has more theming than this iteration of a Coastal Beach Resort Ice Cream Parlor...in a Deluxe Flagship resort hotel.

build_it

I think the biggest thing is that the new space has no identity as an ice cream parlor. They could be serving burgers, pizza, and pasta, and the decor would work. Remove the ice cream from the rendering and what do you have. A plain room with tables and chairs. No ice cream light fixtures. No ice cream parlor tie ins. Nothing unique or with a sense of place. Beige, plain and safe. Its not a modern interpretation of an ice cream parlor. It's just a modern room. Remove the mickey ears, and I can't even tell you that this is at a Disney resort. So, now you're paying for expensive resort ice cream in a nondescript room.

I'm sure they won't have any problem staying busy. I'm sure it will make money. I'm sure bloggers will 'love' the new decor. I'm sure it fits into their grand scheme to 'update' and expand offerings.

I managed to eat here the last time I was at the resort. Thought it was a fun experience and would have done it again. If this is what it's going to look like, we can skip it and eat somewhere with more interest. The ice cream parlor in Harry Potter looks pretty cool...

ToTBellHop

I don’t care where it’s located if it pleases my eyes.
1576200782518.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom