Beach club or Poly for first time deluxe

Disneydreamer16

Original Poster
Hi! We usually stay at CBR because we have always liked being there and enjoy the overall atmosphere there. For the first time we were thinking of trying to do the beach club or the poly. We have 7 or 8 adults and one 2 1/2 year old in our party. Could we get some opinions on where everyone thinks would be better to stay at. We have always want to stay at the poly and like how you can use the monorail and see the fireworks from MK. It also is in close distance of restaurants we eat frequently at. With that said we heard some complaints lately about the poly and the monorails being down a lot.

ekutchey

The title is Poly or BC? The first question I would ask is where do we intend to spend most of our time? If at MK then Poly is your answer. If HS and Epcot is your answer then BC would be my choice. You can walk or take a boat to either location. You also get to use the international gateway entrance and can walk through Epcot to the monorail if you wish or take a bus to MK. Also the BC pool is known to be one of the best on property for a resort.

durangojim

Also depends on the time of year. If food and wine is going on, then I'd say BC as there's nothing better than being able to walk to Epcot or DHS and never having to wait for transportation to either of those parks.

Stryker

Our last trip we stayed at the Poly (DVC) for the first time. Visited the resort before and never really understood the attachment so many have for the resort. I do now understand the love for the Poly. Watching Wishes and the EWP from our balcony was something special. The view in general is awesome. Transportation by monorail is a huge plus for us and the TTC is just a short walk away so you can hop on the monorail to Epcot. The boats to MK are also a fun and pleasant way to get around. Never stayed at Beach Club so no opinion to offer there. Pretty sure you will be happy either way.

DisneyJunkie

Without question or hesitation.......Poly. But I'll preface that by saying my personal preference is to stay on-site close to the Magic Kingdom, which means the Poly over Beach Club. So the choice partially depends on if you have an area preference on WDW property. For other reasons, I've been to the Beach Club and toured it and wasn't overly impressed. It just doesn't have the theming, charm, and warmth of the Poly......IMO. Transportation is better at the Poly as well, considering it's only the monorail line and has its own walkway to the TTC to get you to whereever else in the World you want to go.

Last edited:

KeithVH

When are you going? Check construction schedules too. With the Poly, you may not want to be in an active build site. As pointed out, also depends on your primary park. That can't be understated. My one complaint with the BC is it is so spread out. Lots of walking from the front desk to a large part of the rooms. You get the impression it's no different from many regular hotels. BC pool is killer though. But can't beat the location for Epcot or MGM.

Disneydreamer16

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all of your feedback it's much appreciated! We are going at the end of August which is when we usually go, we like the crowds around this time of year. We've been to Disney closer to 20 times so we figured we would try and switch it up and make this a special trip for everyone. Any recommendations on what long house to choose? It seems better to be closer to the ttc I think. I'm assuming the poly construction will be done around then.

JusticeDisney

Without question or hesitation.......Poly. But I'll preface that by saying my personal preference is to stay on-site close to the Magic Kingdom, which means the Poly over Beach Club. So the choice partially depends on if you have an area preference on WDW property. For other reasons, I've been to the Beach Club and toured it and wasn't overly impressed. It just doesn't have the theming, charm, and warmth of the Poly......IMO. Transportation is better at the Poly as well, considering it's only the monorail line and has its own walkway to the TTC to get you to whereever else in the World you want to go.
Considering you can actually walk to two of the parks from the BC (or take a short boat ride) and catch a frequent bus to the other two parks, how do you figure the transportation is better at Poly?

DisneyJunkie

Considering you can actually walk to two of the parks from the BC (or take a short boat ride) and catch a frequent bus to the other two parks, how do you figure the transportation is better at Poly?

I don't consider walking to be included in "resort transportation" (especially since I'll be doing enough walking IN the parks), plus the transportation takes you to MK, which is better than either of the parks near the Beach Club. Then there's the best form of transportation on Disney property......an attraction in and of itself, the monorail.

JusticeDisney

I don't consider walking to be included in "resort transportation" (especially since I'll be doing enough walking IN the parks), plus the transportation takes you to MK, which is better than either of the parks near the Beach Club. Then there's the best form of transportation on Disney property......an attraction in and of itself, the monorail.
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. To me, transportation is merely a means to getting somewhere. And if I can walk to a park in less than five minutes, that is better than any other form of transportation that takes longer than that. Also, I've never understood the folks who think that the monorail is "an attraction in and of itself." It's essentially like riding a subway. Anyway, like I said, we can just agree to disagree and I certainly respect your opinions.

Bairstow

A couple years ago, I would have said the Polynesian, but now I'm of the opposite opinion.
Between the gutted lobby, the total playground-ification of the main pool area, and the fact that the bungalows (which no one can afford) completely compromise what used to be one of the Polynesian's best features- its waterfront, the Polynesian is in my opinion, kind of a ruined resort at this point.

The Yacht/Beach club, on the other hand, is still amazing. You're walking distance to half of the theme parks as well as all the entertainment on the boardwalk, and have access to the best pool complex on property. It's easily my pick.

DisneyJunkie

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. To me, transportation is merely a means to getting somewhere. And if I can walk to a park in less than five minutes, that is better than any other form of transportation that takes longer than that. Also, I've never understood the folks who think that the monorail is "an attraction in and of itself." It's essentially like riding a subway. Anyway, like I said, we can just agree to disagree and I certainly respect your opinions.

And that's fine, agree to disagree. Considering how much wear-n-tear is done on the feet and shoes simply by walking throughout the parks in WDW, I don't consider it one of the Disney transportation options. I consider Disney transportation their motorized means of getting from place to place - not walking. So that would mean the bus, taxi, ferry, monorail, etc, etc. As for the monorail, it's typically a point of excitement for people just driving into WDW to spot it moving along its tracks, because it is an attraction (albeit also transportation), and more so when they have the trains decorated from time to time. But again, nothing wrong with differing opinions on it.

MaryJaneP

As a family that has stayed at both, we would second the "which park do you really want access to" theme mentioned in many of the previous posts. We enjoyed the BC more than Poly and with the current destruction of many sight lines at Poly, we think BC's position is strengthened. We also preferred the choices at Beaches and Cream. However, number one to us is park proximity.

totaldisneygirl

I'm all about the MK resort area and so my vote goes to Poly! I love the monorail and the ease of travel to and from MK and Epcot. Plus, you can watch wishes on the little beach with the music piped in every night. You also have access to tons of restaurants on the monorail loops which are all amazing!

rkelly42

This will be about personal preference. Poly has gone through updates, like them or not it has been refreshed some. O'hana and kona along with the groto now make for easy access to restaurants/bars. Mk or Epcot accessible via monorail. For me, the lobby is just not the same, but it is roomier. BC rooms have been freshened up and it is a short walk/boat ride to Epcot and HS. A lot of good restaurants around BC, and in Epcot. In regards to the pool, BC hands down for us. As for the walking distance between lobby and rooms, they both have some long walks depending where your room is located. After all of this it really is a matter of what you are looking for at WDW. We will be staying at the BC in May due to the fact it has more of what we are looking for, from our perspective of what we feel is important for our vacation enjoyment.

blueboxdoctor

I am in full support of the Polynesian (even my profile icon was taken from there). Easily the best part is being able to get to the MK either by monorail or boat and not dealing with buses. It feels a lot more like you're on vacation when you don't even have to look at cars or buses. The tropical feel also feels very much like a getaway vacation to me. Overall it feels like an escape and it is very relaxing. The only thing you want to keep note of is there are many buildings there and some of them are pretty far from the main building, so try to get into a closer one and one that isn't overlooking a parking lot. Also note, even if you are not on the ground floor, you may not get a balcony, which may sound odd, but some of the buildings not all the floors have balconies, instead there is just a big window essentially where the sliding doors for the balcony would go.

Plus side being there is you can watch Wishes from the beach area, which is pretty chill and relaxing and offers a different perspective (I always enjoy seeing the different perspectives you can view Wishes from).

I am not as familiar with the Beach Club. However, what little I have seen of it it does seem to also be very nice. However, it's best if you prefer EPCOT and Hollywood Studios. Going back to the Polynesian, I prefer MK, it's the most Disney feeling park and has a level of escapism the other parks lack, so it's a big plus for me (and you can easily walk to the Transportation and Ticket Center to hop on the monorail to EPCOT). Back to the Beach Club, it is probably very nice. It really comes down to what theme you prefer and which parks you want to easily be able to frequent the most.

Unomas

Both are excellent options. Poly just has more of a Disney feel to me. That's why we chose it as our home DVC resort. Walking around there at night is pretty special. And when the Oasis Pool is finished this spring, it will be even better.

And as for transportation goes, I feel Poly has the best locations on property. Monorail transport to both MK and Epcot is something no other resort can provide.

thomas998

Hi! We usually stay at CBR because we have always liked being there and enjoy the overall atmosphere there. For the first time we were thinking of trying to do the beach club or the poly. We have 7 or 8 adults and one 2 1/2 year old in our party. Could we get some opinions on where everyone thinks would be better to stay at. We have always want to stay at the poly and like how you can use the monorail and see the fireworks from MK. It also is in close distance of restaurants we eat frequently at. With that said we heard some complaints lately about the poly and the monorails being down a lot.

Only way to justify the price of Deluxe resorts is when they are monorail resorts. We've stayed at both monorail and non-monorail deluxe resorts and I always felt cheated at the non-monorail resorts because I don't feel as connected or feel that I have the same quick access to the MK without a monorail. Frankly if we are spending deluxe money on a hotel now we either stay on a monorail resort or do a non-Disney resort.

The monorails have been down during some of the times we've stayed but they weren't down the whole day so I wouldn't think that's a big problem...

Not sure if this helps but for our upcoming trip in July, we're staying at BC for two nights and Poly for three. I've stayed at BC a couple times and I don't really have any complaints about it other than the underwhelming theme. The pool is amazing and there are plenty of dining options.

TXDisney

We like Epcot to BC is our favorite. So I'd say what should make your decision is will you be at MK or Epcot more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom