Be quiet and go make me a sammich . . .

Sweet Melissa

It is interesting. I think the skewing male/female dialogue share has more to do with the misguided, "how do we make a 'girly' princess movie appeal to boys" question more than it does a societal preference toward men as noted in the article. It's still a "carelessness", but not the ingrained kind the author posits.

It's interesting that Cinderella passes the Bechdel test while later titles like Aladdin and The Little Mermaid do not.

Animaniac93-98

There's a lot of context lost in the research, some of which was even mentioned in the comments. Why would women in medieval or 1800s Europe hold the balace of power? Isn't the point of Belle being "odd" is that she's different from the other women in town? If Mulan joins an all-male army, shouldn't there be more men with speaking roles in the movie? If a story is called "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", don't we know what we're getting into? If the name of the movie is "Aladdin', I'm going to expect the story to be about him.

The research also fails to discuss the merchandise line, which is the more widely viewed version of these stories, as these movies only come out once every 7 years. Or other versions of these tales, or what other things a child is exposed to in their upringing beyond a dozen animated features (not all of which a child will see).

Pixie VaVoom

I wish people would stop trying to 'fix' what isn't 'broken'. Use some logic...like
"Animaniac" said above...

This has GOT to be a topic of research from some educational EGGHEAD that had to find a topic to do a Thesis on or else she couldn't graduate...and all the other good topics were taken.

Kind of like the "Core Curriculum". Reams of articles and research demonstrating that it really doesn't WORK. But the Educational Big Whigs just throw TONS of money at it. Once again it had to be some body's pet research project, and it took off from there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom