Be Our Guest switching to paper plates for lunch

Tom P.

More likely than not, the use of the paper plates and plastic utensils will actually cost Disney more than reusing dishes. So the whole "let's keep the shareholders happy by cutting corners" mantra really does not apply here.

I suspect the turnover for quick service is so much faster than it is for table service that they are having issues with always having dishes cleaned and available.

JIMINYCR

This response to anything Disney does nowadays is getting a bit old. Sometimes its justified, but in this case, it is not.
But...but... but... Igers still eating his lunch off of real plates. The unfairness of greedy corporate officials and their money making investors. Followed by... How many Disney dishwashers were let go because of this move? ( posted sarcastically )

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
More likely than not, the use of the paper plates and plastic utensils will actually cost Disney more than reusing dishes. So the whole "let's keep the shareholders happy by cutting corners" mantra really does not apply here.

I suspect the turnover for quick service is so much faster than it is for table service that they are having issues with always having dishes cleaned and available.
I dont know the reasons for this specific change, but cost savings or other perceived efficiency is likely.

I would also be fairly confident that using disposable plates is significantly cheaper than reusing dishes, which is why you see disposables used at the lowest priced locations.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I dont know the reasons for this specific change, but cost savings or other perceived efficiency is likely.

I would also be fairly confident that using disposable plates is significantly cheaper than reusing dishes, which is why you see disposables used at the lowest priced locations.

I think you're right, but I think it's a combination of efficiency and cost. Just breaking one plate could cost more than a couple of hundred paper plates to replace. There's also cost for water, electricity, soap, and cast time. From the efficiency angle, they can only clean so many dishes at a time.

DisAl

I usually don't eat the plates anyway unless the food was exceptionally good. ;)
One fast food chain we visit has gone to some sort of plastic plates and real "silverware" in their restaurants. I go ahead and get the plastic stuff (sealed in plastic sleeves) because I don't have to wonder if it was properly washed. Unless the meal requires a cutting surface (i.e. steak) I would just as soon have paper and plastic for anything but fine dining.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
As a spork, you should recuse yourself from this conversation!!!

627b3a6c3432d8d34663d6c7b05f47aa6c8b660d4907339cab8b4d998f3cbb27.jpg

castlecake2.0

It’s a temporary situation for a planned refurbed of the dish area from what I am told. Washable items are being carted to a temporary dish wash location along with dinner service items while disposable is being used at lunch for efficiency reasons.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom