Be Our Guest or Skipper Canteen for dinner?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Look at the menus and prices.
I've eaten at both and if you were asking pre pandemic and for lunch I would have said Be Our Guest but at this point with the price and the food options I'd definitely say Skipper's Canteen.
But again its all about your food preferences and what you think it worth the price.

Hcalvert

I like Skipper Canteen, but have never eaten at BOG dinner because I am not interested in the food offered nor want to pay that much for a dinner. SK's steak and also the sustainable fish (if it is swordfish) entrees are good. I used to really like their steak salad.

JIMINYCR

Weve dined at both. My choice would be Skipper Canteen at this point in time for the menu and pricing. BoG has the more impressive theming and surroundings if you want to experience it for your first time dining. The various dining rooms are Imagineering brilliance. BoG theming brings in many diners so they can say theyve dined at the Beasts castle. But always when deciding on a choice between two places youve never dined at, check out the menu selections for the options and what has more to please your preferred taste.

RickP330

I know BoG is expensive and it's not recommended for dinner. But we love Beauty and the Beast and BoG dinner is a must do for us every time we visit. We love the west wing. Yes it is expensive, yes the food is excellent and yes the theaming is over the top. However, the same can be said for CRT (maybe the food is not so good there though) - but for us that was a one and done. We have no burning desire to go back to CRT.
We did SK once and I loved it, my DW not so much. We are leaving in 9 days - we have ADR's at BoG dinner and SK....

RP

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I know BoG is expensive and it's not recommended for dinner. But we love Beauty and the Beast and BoG dinner is a must do for us every time we visit. We love the west wing. Yes it is expensive, yes the food is excellent and yes the theaming is over the top. However, the same can be said for CRT (maybe the food is not so good there though) - but for us that was a one and done. We have no burning desire to go back to CRT.
We did SK once and I loved it, my DW not so much. We are leaving in 9 days - we have ADR's at BoG dinner and SK....

RP

You are aware that lunch and dinner are now the same at BOG correct? Just wanted to clarify that lunch is no longer QS.

Hcalvert

I do believe you are correct!
I have a feeling that that lunch will not go back to QS even if they decide to open for a QS breakfast. They are able to fill the restaurant during lunch and charge three times the amount of an average QS lunch. Breakfast was about $30/adult with a beverage, so that is also an easy moneymaker for them.

dreamfinder912

Those are two entirely different restaurants! If your traveling party is small children, BOG. If you prefer a better bargain and a bunch of puns...Skipper Canteen. I'm currently having this exact debate with myself when my friends are in town this December. BOG has great theming, but you are definitely paying to say you ate at Beast's castle, not for any great food. The Skipper Canteen has a much better variety. Check the menus, check your budget, check your traveling party. If you do BOG, ask for the west wing. it's much quieter. If you do the Skipper Canteen, do the SEA room or the jungle room, same reason.

JIMINYCR

We love the west wing.
Yes.. We always requested the West Wing when we dined there. And the OP should request it when they check in as well if they decide to dine there. There may be a slight wait for getting in because the room has fewer tables than the other rooms but the wait is well worth it for the rooms quieter surroundings and unique theming. Years ago, shortly after the Beasts Castle opened up, a CM advised us to be sure to ask for it and I'm grateful we did.

Turtlekrawl

Skipper is so much cheaper at this point, has a creative menu, (usually) fun staff, and cool atmosphere.

BOG has nice theming, but I will never eat there again with the current setup.

Weather_Lady

We used to really like Skipper Canteen and up until a year ago I'd have highly recommended it (especially over BOG, which is priced ridiculously even for Disney), but do look at its current menu before booking and see if there are things you'd enjoy there. Skipper Canteen has significantly slashed their menu since COVID -- going from 10 entrees to 6 -- and in so doing, removed all of my family's favorite dishes. It went from a "must-do" to a "no thanks" in a hurry.

HouCuseChickie

I have wanted to go to Skipper Canteen since it opened. I finally was able to fit it into our trip this past February. Unfortunately, many of the things that really appealed to me weren't on the menu when we went. While we had some really good appetizers, I was not a fan of my entree. I haven't been to BOG in several years and it was just mediocre the times we've been, but I will say that their current menu looks more appealing to me than Skipper's. If I were having to choose between the two right now, I'd pick BOG.

Hcalvert

I have wanted to go to Skipper Canteen since it opened. I finally was able to fit it into our trip this past February. Unfortunately, many of the things that really appealed to me weren't on the menu when we went. While we had some really good appetizers, I was not a fan of my entree. I haven't been to BOG in several years and it was just mediocre the times we've been, but I will say that their current menu looks more appealing to me than Skipper's. If I were having to choose between the two right now, I'd pick BOG.
I have been to Skipper Canteen every year since it opened. It has always been a "must do" during our trips. I really liked the first incarnation of the steak entree with the yucca fries and chimichurri (I guess I was one of the only ones who did). I am not the fondest of the steak entree they have now, especially the sausage and the grainy bacon bits-like stuff (farofa). My husband still wanted to go since he likes the sustainable fish dish (if it is swordfish), so during my last trip, I ended up ordering a kids steak entree instead. I actually enjoyed it with its two sides. I also liked their steak salad (especially the pickled onions and dressing) that was on the menu before the pandemic. I hope they bring back some of the "dropped" entrees soon.

Last edited:

aliceismad

For quality of food - Skipper. Unless you are a really big BatB fan, I'd skip BOG. Especially now with the overpriced menu. It's a fun atmosphere to look at, but eating in the ballroom feels like a loud cafeteria.

I also like the atmosphere at Skipper, especially if the wait staff is good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom