Be honest, what are my chances!?

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
Looking for any help from anyone who is familiar with DVC rental...

Looking to rent points for Boardwalk 2 bedroom villa for 14 Nights travelling from UK!

Understand the cost involved etc but what I am trying to work out is do I have any chance of getting someone with (I think) 560 points they are renting!?

Dates pretty specific due to the timing of school holidays and also the fact we need to be booking flights also at 11 months out and hope it all falls into place...

What are my chances of finding anywhere that will have enough points!!??

correcaminos

Looking for any help from anyone who is familiar with DVC rental...

Looking to rent points for Boardwalk 2 bedroom villa for 14 Nights travelling from UK!

Understand the cost involved etc but what I am trying to work out is do I have any chance of getting someone with (I think) 560 points they are renting!?

Dates pretty specific due to the timing of school holidays and also the fact we need to be booking flights also at 11 months out and hope it all falls into place...

What are my chances of finding anywhere that will have enough points!!??

Pretty good. There are a lot of people there with a lot of points. You can also look at David's DVC rentals if you want, but going private will let you find someone right before the 11 month mark so they can book the morning of to be secure for you.

560 point is on the higher end of ownership, but I would be able to do that myself if I were a BWV owner (which I am not).

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
Pretty good. There are a lot of people there with a lot of points. You can also look at David's DVC rentals if you want, but going private will let you find someone right before the 11 month mark so they can book the morning of to be secure for you.

560 point is on the higher end of ownership, but I would be able to do that myself if I were a BWV owner (which I am not).
Thanks, been in touch with David's DVC and they obviously couldn't comment if it would be possible or not and mentioned split stay which we are keen to avoid.
We maybe do a week Boardwalk villa and a week Beach club but would prefer not to move...

How do I go about finding private renters then? Is that not risky sending someone your cash and hope they book!?

Edit;
Also, am I right in assuming I could potentially find someone who would have that many points prior to 11 months out who could then jump in and book right away when the time came?
Assume people know what points they have all the time right?

Last edited:

Rob562

Another possibility with a split stay is that a rental company may have two different clients who combined have enough points for two weeks. In that instance it'd probably have to be booked as two separate reservations. Just like a split stay you'd have to check out and back in, but you wouldn't have yo change resorts.

-Rob

Minthorne

Another possibility with a split stay is that a rental company may have two different clients who combined have enough points for two weeks. In that instance it'd probably have to be booked as two separate reservations. Just like a split stay you'd have to check out and back in, but you wouldn't have yo change resorts.

-Rob

I've done similar to this when I rent part of a stay and use my own points for part. If you have both reservations in the same room type/resort and note it on both reservations then you nearly always (I always have) stay in the same room and just have to stop by the front desk.

WDW_Jon

Original Poster

-Rob

Thanks, they did say if both reservations are made and a split stay is the option we would need to check out but more often than not they keep you in the same villa if both parties note this when reserving....
Unless of course a completely different resort which we want to avoid.

correcaminos

Oh dear I thought I hit reply on this one so my post just sat.

As said if you need two or more reservations technically to complete your stay, they can have you technically check out and check back in. The resort (as long as it is the same resort, size, and view) can link them so you do not have to move rooms.

If that is the case just talk to the front desk on check in and again on the "checkout/check in" day and make sure. They'd rather not have to completely clean a room when not necessary. That said I don't think it's impossible to find someone with 580 points. I know of a lot of people who only rent for the time being. Check out mouseowners.com and see what you can find. Lots of nice renters there.

RSD Part Deux

There are lots of forums for point rentals. Mouseowners is a good one. A split stay doesn't necessarily mean a different resort. As long as it's the same resort and same view and size, 99.99999% you won't have to move. David's maybe able to piece together a stay thru various owners. I believe they also allow you to rent premium points for home resort 11 month benefit. So yes you should be able to do this with the right amount of work put into it.

correcaminos

Based on your stated 560 points for 2 weeks and desire to book 11 months out, I assume you are trying for a 2-bedroom Standard View Villa for the last 2 weeks of August.

On the plus side, late August is not a popular time for DVC members.

On the minus side, there are no dedicated 2-bedroom villas at BWV, meaning that when you book this, you are actually booking a connected Studio and 1-bedroom.

The 1-bedroom won't be too much of a problem in August. However, the BWV Standard View Studio is one of the best DVC bargains out there, and always books quickly.

I am a member at BWV and, even at 11 months, I often find it challenging to book a Standard View Studio.
We've done summer time at BWV and have had about 50/50 shot of getting a standard 2 bedroom at 7 months. If they do it right at 11 they have a good chance IMO.

correcaminos

I had a look at the availability calendar.

The BWV Standard View Studios are mostly booked through May, about half booked in June, and available every night in July except for the 4th.

There are several instances where a Standard View Studio is available for 2-to-4 nights but the next available 7-night stay begins on July 5, 10 months out.
I am going in June and have been watching myself. Like I said I get it about half the time for our trip. Summer is never as bad as fall but not even close to a guarantee. We aren't really thinking of a standard for this trip though. My last standard was not a great location for using the balcony. Since we are going for longer than usual we're good with a better view.

We are not concerned with points though as we have more than enough. A 14 night stay renting could be a totally different deal since that is a lot more time and money spent there.

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
Thanks all. Many places including Davids suggested it was doable but odds were against due to 14 nights. It was for October 2018 and as we have to book specific dates for flights from the U.K. Etc we didn't want to be gambling on where we could stay if it didn't work out. The Epcot area is a must for us and without renting the other places are ridiculously expensive from here.
We also didn't like the idea of a renter bailing out once all booked as despite it being a rare occurrence the agreement people have isn't really enforceable so we could end up with a disaster before we even arrived...
We are in a family room and a standard bedroom at the Dolphin where we have been happy before.

Would of been great to stay in the boardwalk in a villa and the costs worked for us but we didn't want to gamble on availability or the reservation being honoured!

Thanks for all your responses :)

Last edited:

correcaminos

Thanks all. Many places including Davids suggested it was doable but odds were against due to 14 nights. It was for October 2018 and as we have to book specific dates for flights from the U.K. Etc we didn't want to be gambling on where we could stay if it didn't work out. The Epcot area is a must for us and without renting the other places are ridiculously expensive from here.
We also didn't like the idea of a renter bailing out once all booked as despite it being a rare occurrence the agreement people have isn't really enforceable so we could end up with a disaster before we even arrived...
We are in a family room and a standard bedroom at the Dolphin where we have been happy before.

Would of been great to stay in the boardwalk in a villa and the costs worked for us but we didn't want to gamble on availability or the reservation being honoured!

Thanks for all your responses :)
I think you will be happy there. We love the Swan and Dolphin. I have stayed there many times and it truly is a great place!

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
I think you will be happy there. We love the Swan and Dolphin. I have stayed there many times and it truly is a great place!

The Dolphin is usually our WDW home for the past 4 trips and we love it but the savings on a rental were appealing but we aren't going to cope with the potential of it not working out :)

correcaminos

The Dolphin is usually our WDW home for the past 4 trips and we love it but the savings on a rental were appealing but we aren't going to cope with the potential of it not working out :)
I totally understand that. The villas at Disney are pretty darn good but when you don't know the renter and cannot be flexible I see why the Dolphin would win out again. I have a soft spot for that resort too so for me if I weren't a DVC member it would be an easy pick for sure.

Souvenir

OP- is there a reason that you don't want to just book your Boardwalk Villa reservation as a cash paying guest through Disney's reservation system? We do it all the time and there's really no risk. You pay one night's cost plus tax as a deposit to hold the reservation and it's totally refundable up to 5 nights prior to the arrival date. It's easy, worry free, and unlike with points you get daily housekeeping.

Weather_Lady

OP- is there a reason that you don't want to just book your Boardwalk Villa reservation as a cash paying guest through Disney's reservation system? We do it all the time and there's really no risk. You pay one night's cost plus tax as a deposit to hold the reservation and it's totally refundable up to 5 nights prior to the arrival date. It's easy, worry free, and unlike with points you get daily housekeeping.

My guess as to the reason is that it's up to 40% cheaper to rent DVC points than to make a cash reservation through Disney. (At least, I know we saved 40% on our 2-bedroom villa by renting DVC points when we visited in 2012.)

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
$$$$

The uk exchange rate is so poor at the minute in addition to us being charged big money for a comparable villa direct... huge saving for us on rental

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
My guess as to the reason is that it's up to 40% cheaper to rent DVC points than to make a cash reservation through Disney. (At least, I know we saved 40% on our 2-bedroom villa by renting DVC points when we visited in 2012.)
Exactly that.
Closer to 50% less to rent based on the enquiries I made booking direct from the uk...

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
I totally understand that. The villas at Disney are pretty darn good but when you don't know the renter and cannot be flexible I see why the Dolphin would win out again. I have a soft spot for that resort too so for me if I weren't a DVC member it would be an easy pick for sure.

Yes, Dolphin was always our first option until I explored DVC rental but it's not meant to be so we are more than happy with the Dolphin, No.1 location for us around there :)
All booked for 2 weeks Oct 18'

slappy magoo

When it comes to studio and 2 BR Villas in DVC resorts it's almost always big savings to rent from an owner or a 3rd party service like David's versus booking through Disney. 1BR Villas, the savings are less significant to non-existent - reason being the point values for a 1BR is always close to if not right at double a studio. But paying for the room with cash, whether it's from Disney or a travel company or travel site, the difference is hardly ever twice the price of a studio. Example - a week in early March next year in Saratoga Springs - a standard studio is 106 points for the week, a 1BR is 227. If you rented those points, that would probably be around $1600 for the studio, about $3500 for the 1BR. Paying cash via travelocity, the studio would be around $3190, the 1BR around $4275. Still a nice savings to rent the 1BR, but the savings on the studio is much more significant. And depending on the resort, the season, the room-view category, the savings in a 1BR might even be less significant than this. We looked at extending a Bay Lake Tower, Lake View 1BR room for one extra night. The cost of renting the room from Disney, with our DVC discount, was actually a few dollars (just a few) less than renting points.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom