Be honest, how weird is it for a male to go on Solo trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Inn '76

You can do the exact same thing with people you are waiting in line with, especially for something like FOp in the morning before rope drop. That obviously wouldn't work if you aren't comfortable with talking to strangers

Ask my wife - I'm VERY comfortable talking to strangers. I embarrass her with that all the time. ;)

My life is all about relationships. While I enjoy interacting with new people, I have no real interest in cultivating relationships that have no chance of being long lived. Also, most of the folks at WDW are there to spend time with their family, not have an overly familiar conversation with some middle-aged dude like me. They're talking to their people. I'm talking to mine.

This will probably be unpopular here, but I think going to rope drop alone is the height of self-absorption.

jloucks

That might be because you let your inner child die off and you need someone to share your experiences with. However, that's not everyone. Shortly after my divorce I went there solo and for a lot of the time sat there on benches (back when they had some) and just remembered the wonderful times I had there with my wife and my children. I was at a fairly low point at that time. It's hard to just walk away from 29 years of marriage without some twinges of melancholy and memory.

You and I see things quite differently most times, but I am not too proud to say that was moving. You have some onion layers going on.;)

Also, by far, the best justification I have ever heard for a single male to hang around any kids place.

Yea, yea, I know, Disney is for adults too. :p

Goofyernmost

You and I see things quite differently most times, but I am not too proud to say that was moving. You have some onion layers going on.;)

Also, by far, the best justification I have ever heard for a single male to hang around any kids place.

Yea, yea, I know, Disney is for adults too. :p
Wait.... are you calling me an Ogre? :jawdrop: I prefer to be a Parfait. Everyone likes Parfaits. Or a Trifle, Trifles are nice too. :)

OneofThree

My life is all about relationships.

This is really the greater point for me as well. In and of themselves, Disney's diversions are quite nice, but also sort of empty and meaningless in the absence of sharing them, IMO.

You and I see things quite differently most times, but I am not too proud to say that was moving. Also, by far, the best justification I have ever heard for a single male to hang around any kids place. Yea, yea, I know, Disney is for adults too.

My sentiments as well. If it's that therapeutic for you-then by all means. But aside from the kids and family thing -I'm going to a golf course, to a race track, climbing, or to soak in some fascinating history and culture somewhere I've never been.

LSUxStitch

I've done solo trips to WDW in the past, right after my College Program, but haven't recently. I've done Disneyland alone twice last year (as a 36 yr old male) and I enjoy it! A lot actually haha.

Looking forward to a WDW trip solo at some point

Tony the Tigger

8F742D14-D54C-4044-BB5D-399D4B9B512A.jpeg

jaklgreen

I don't know, but for me I find that a lot of times when I go alone people are super friendly and will strike up conversations with me and laugh and talk about a ride afterwards as everybody is exiting. I can kind of see what you are saying though and that could be a problem for people who are shy or introverted. Me? I am laughing and exclaiming how awesome the ride was that I just got off and then usually someone always starts chit-chatting with me for a bit.

I make the most out of it and still have fun being alone if I do go alone.

I don't look at going to a Disney park alone any different than going to a ballgame alone. I have had some awesome experiences at baseball games alone as well as DL.

Agree. And why would something only be enjoyable if there is someone you know sitting next to you? That is weird to me. I can just as easily have my grumpy hubby sitting next to me hating the ride.

jaklgreen

My sentiments as well. If it's that therapeutic for you-then by all means. But aside from the kids and family thing -I'm going to a golf course, to a race track, climbing, or to soak in some fascinating history and culture somewhere I've never been

Because that is what YOU like to do. Some of us love going to WDW, not just for the rides but for the atmosphere. I personally go solo for the food and wine festival. I really enjoy going to the food seminars and the special events at the restaurants. Things that my family would not enjoy, so I go by myself. That is not weird. You would be surprised at how many single people go for the food and wine festival.

KBLovedDisney

When I went solo, I was too Disney-focused to pay attention to other people (except for that one girl on HM who decided it was a good idea to use flash on her phone the entire ride:banghead::banghead::banghead:)

Goofyernmost

This is really the greater point for me as well. In and of themselves, Disney's diversions are quite nice, but also sort of empty and meaningless in the absence of sharing them, IMO.

My sentiments as well. If it's that therapeutic for you-then by all means. But aside from the kids and family thing -I'm going to a golf course, to a race track, climbing, or to soak in some fascinating history and culture somewhere I've never been.
All those things are not inclusive. I go to Disney a lot, 45 times in 34 years and solo for the better part of 17 years. I enjoy it. I have also been to Europe twice, The Worlds Fair in Osaka, Japan. I've been on cruises (the last one was trans Atlantic, I have been to the Masters in Augusta, The US Open in Pinehurst, to the top of Pikes Peak, Vegas, Virginia Beach, Key West, The Bahamas, many Provence's in Canada all the while still enjoying Disney. I'm glad that you like those other things, but, to somehow think that experiencing them means that you cannot also be able to enjoy Disney solo would be completely incorrect.

OneofThree

I'm glad that you like those other things, but, to somehow think that experiencing them means that you cannot also be able to enjoy Disney solo would be completely incorrect.

You're very fortunate to have had the opportunity to experience all of those things. In my 40's, and married with a bunch of kids from very young to young adult -I've not yet been so fortunate. I've actually probably been to WDW more than you have however, having gone many times from a young age and then going on to live next door to the property. As such, I've seen it all, and the fact I can no longer see the place through my 9 year old eyes combined with a decided change in WDW's approach, it's difficult to imagine spending any time there on my own.

Goofyernmost

You're very fortunate to have had the opportunity to experience all of those things. In my 40's, and married with a bunch of kids from very young to young adult -I've not yet been so fortunate. I've actually probably been to WDW more than you have however, having gone many times from a young age and then going on to live next door to the property. As such, I've seen it all, and the fact I can no longer see the place through my 9 year old eyes combined with a decided change in WDW's approach, it's difficult to imagine spending any time there on my own.
And that is fine, but, you spoke like anyone that went on their own either had two heads or no culture at all, based on the idea that there are so many other things to do and then making it sound like you were superior to all of us that enjoy Disney as if we have never or would never do anything else. You don't want to go alone, that is certainly your right and I would probably never be judgmental about it at all, until your implication that we were all bumpkins with no ability to do other things. I just wanted to say that was not the case.

And, BTW, most of that travel was well after my children had gown. Japan was while I was in the service and my first trip to Europe was when I was in College. I never even went to WDW until I was 35 years old.

OneofThree

And that is fine, but, you spoke like anyone that went on their own either had two heads or no culture at all, based on the idea that there are so many other things to do and then making it sound like you were superior to all of us that enjoy Disney as if we have never or would never do anything else. You don't want to go alone, that is certainly your right and I would probably never be judgmental about it at all, until your implication that we were all bumpkins with no ability to do other things. I just wanted to say that was not the case.

Weird [to me], yes. I think this would go for most of the people I know in my position (40 something father and husband, with many of the hobbies I mentioned). "Bumpkin"? Not sure how that came across in anything I said. My comments reflect my own experiences and perceptions regarding myself and other people I may be familiar with. I was pretty clear in my support for the OP in what he's doing, and do not feel that I disparaged him in any way.

R W B

That's a terrible prison to be trapped in. Hopefully you can break out of it sooner rather than later.
It's only about this topic really. On a normal day to day basis I couldn't careless what people think.

With sexual assault claims being thrown around as often as people take out trash, I do tend to think about this topic when im in places full of young girls, as in my nieces cheer comps. Not getting political here but Joe Biden had a great policy, he never stayed in a room by himself with another women other than his wife so no one could make accusations against him. I agree with that.

Goofyernmost

Weird [to me], yes. I think this would go for most of the people I know in my position (40 something father and husband, with many of the hobbies I mentioned). "Bumpkin"? Not sure how that came across in anything I said. My comments reflect my own experiences and perceptions regarding myself and other people I may be familiar with. I was pretty clear in my support for the OP in what he's doing, and do not feel that I disparaged him in any way.
I am hoping that is true, but, to be honest that is not the way it came across to me at the time. You are as entitled to not go solo as the rest of us are to go solo. There should be no, I rather be doing something useful and rewarding like historical things then to just go and look at 5 foot tall mice. It might have been me, but, it wasn't all that clear to me. However, lets bury the hatchet and move on. This is something that really isn't worth arguing over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom