Be honest, how weird is it for a male to go on Solo trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crxbrett

Dude, do it! You will have fun! Trust me. I do it a lot. Well, at DL since I am on the west coast. But I was actually considering a WDW trip by myself a year ago. Ended up going with my GF, but I would have done it alone, too.

Screw what others think. It's judgmental to just assume any male that is alone at DW or any Disney park is automatically a pervert of some kind or is somehow unusual or different or weird. WDW and Disney parks are not just for kids. That's a narrow-minded viewpoint that the mainstream masses may have. But it's so far from the truth. You can go to bars or lounges when you are single and solo and also meet people at DW. Just like anywhere else in the world. There are many people at the parks that are there alone or by themselves. Male and female. And of all ages.

And how would anybody even know someone is on a trip solo anyways? What if their family went to go eat? What if not everyone in a party wanted to go on a coaster? What if they wanted some "me time" alone? There are so many instances where people can be alone at a moment in time, but not be necessarily alone on the trip.

Which proves the point that it's being judgmental and stereotyping to the point of being delusional or paranoid with no real reasoning when one has that mindset.

crxbrett

I'm 61, and have been doing solo WDW and DL trips since I was 40. Any bit of uncomfortable-ness is all in your head. Others are all wrapped up in their own thing, and don't have the time to even look at you, much less judge you. I really love dining well at WDW, and have never felt even a little bit intimidated because I was alone.

Exactly. lol And I think most people would just think the person is alone, no big deal if they even did give it a second's thought.

crxbrett

No at ALL weird. I used to do it all the time... Do what I want, when I want and at my pace. I like to take pictures - a LOT of pictures. So bonny for me!

Sorry, I just realized I should have used the multi-quote function now. But yeah, I go on a lot of trips just to take a ton of photos sometimes.

jrm477

@joejccva71

37 year old guy here, literally writing this at Dawa Bar at Animal Kingdom as I wrap up my first solo trip.

In short: do it. I’m closer to misanthrope than introvert, and I was worried about any awkwardness of being on my own. Turns out it wasn’t an issue at all.

I had some of my best meals ever at the World. I just stuck to eating at Bars. Lunch at Sanaa’s bar, dinner at Geyser Point. It felt just as normal as when I’m waiting for someone at a bar back home and I get a drink while I’m waiting. Probably some of the best eating I’ve ever had on a trip down here because I got to go exactly where I wanted, at exactly the time I wanted.

And that theme extended throughout the whole trip. I did so many things that I had to wanted to do in the past, but didn’t get a chance to as activity negotiation took place among the broader group.

Did I get lonely or homesick at times? Sure. But no different than any business trip I’ve been on, if not better because I was in a place I enjoyed, doing things I enjoy.

Don’t hesitate, do it. It’ll be fine.

Starlight67

Def do it. I'm a 48 yo female-but a few years ago the rest of my family had a flight from a Disney trip 2.5 days before I did. So I had those days alone in the World. I actually loved it! I really enjoy doing stuff like going to different resorts to check them out--no one else who had been with me wanted to do stuff like that. There's just so much you can do that you can't with a whole entourage in tow! I ate at QS restaurants--never felt weird eating alone; I played Word Cookies or something on my phone while I dined.

You can also look at tours available that interest you, that might not be of interest to everyone on a family trip. If you haven't done the 'Keys to the Kingdom' tour I recommend it. It's five hours long but a perfect thing for a solo traveler to do. You have a guide with a group of about 20, lunch is included (Harbor House) and the whole group has to eat together anyway, it's not really noticeable who's with someone or alone.

If you're someone who doesn't mind alone time (or even cherishes it) in your 'real' life, then a solo trip will be an awesome experience!

(And don't worry about it seeming weird. I have never once come back from a Disney Family Trip saying, 'yeah did you see that guy/woman walking around alone--that was weird.' NOPE. Just doesn't happen, no one can even tell who is with who (or not) and no one cares anyway. Everyone is way too busy with their own Disney agenda for the day!)

AshaNeOmah

I did three days of Disneyland solo in my mid-20s (8-ish years ago). I was in Phoenix (from the east coast) for work and took a long weekend to go to Anaheim.

It honestly wasn't strange at all except for a few dining choices. I felt perfectly fine in Blue Bayou and the Hungry Bear, but it was a little awkward in Wine Country Trattoria. Had to have that WoC Fastpass, though.

Go an have fun. No one else is going to notice but you.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'd love to do solo trips! I WILL say that if I'm not going with anyone else though, my attraction-do list will change to mostly just shows and movies.

I don't enjoy riding thrill rides and dark rides by myself, except for Dinosaur, Splash Mountain, and Space Mountain. I don't see the point in riding other thrills because, for me at least, those are experiences that I need with other people.

When it comes to literally any omnimover ride, animatronic show, or circle vision film, though... I actually find those experiences more enjoyable because I'm not worrying about whether or not my friends are bored from all the "classics" that I personally love so much.

Also, live shows are more enjoyable by myself too. Things like Nemo, the Little Mermaid show, Indiana Jones, and Beauty and the Beast... I enjoy the shows more because I'm not constantly looking at my friends reactions and I'm fully engaged.

So yea! I think I'd enjoy a solo trip. It'd be more relaxing, and my must-dos would definitely change.

disney4life2008

At Disney world no problem at all. I live here and go solo to the parks and table service restaurants all the time. Even prior to moving here I came solo numerous times.

However, I would never do a Disney cruise solo. I hear everything closes at midnight, boring. I do carnival cruises, the fun doesn't start until midnight lol

Walt d

I do the solo thing, i love disney im single male, your never alone with all the people, i start talking to them in line. And have single women that want to hang out, come up to me. Go on rides nothing more. No true hook up, i eat at the restaurants , sit downs, i want to be at disney, alone or not, i dont care what any one thinks, im having fun, and im at disney world! My favorite place, thats all that matters “

Goofyernmost

I do the solo thing, i love disney im single male, your never alone with all the people, i start talking to them in line. And have single women that want to hang out, come up to me. Go on rides nothing more. No true hook up, i eat at the restaurants , sit downs, i want to be at disney, alone or not, i dont care what any one thinks, im having fun, and im at disney world! My favorite place, thats all that matters “
You had me until the Single Women comment. How do they know your single... do you wear a sign? I will agree that you are never really alone and all it takes is a couple of words to get into a conversation if you want that.

POLY LOVER

Hi all,

I'm a 46 year old man that loves Disney and I need a nice relaxing vacation. No worries, no kids, no work, just relaxation. I want to do a WDW solo trip for 7 days. Walking around the parks and going on rides solo doesn't actually bother me, but I'm a pretty introvert person and the dining part concerns me some. Sitting down at a table alone eating. It's a little awkward and strange is all.

I mean be honest, how weird is it?
No, have a ball, do what you want when you want with no' what do want to do consensus' stuff going on.

GenerationX

I took a solo trip when I was 38. I was in Florida for a funeral, and my wife and I agreed that as long as I was down there, I may as well tack on a couple of days for a WDW visit. I approached it as though it was a scouting mission. I took a pencil and notebook with me and took notes everywhere I went:

1. New Attractions. I visited anything new that had opened up and most of the ones we had skipped on previous trips.
2. Counter Service meals. I personally would have felt uncomfortable at table service restaurants, so I took the opportunity to try out (new to me) counter service restaurants.
3. Pictures and Hidden Mickeys. I made it a point to look for interesting spots for pictures and to look for Hidden Mickeys.

With those three missions in mind, I felt very comfortable "alone in a crowd" of people at WDW. In the end, I had a blast and couldn't wait to plan our next family trip.

drcasey

Life is way too short to not take it by the horns and do things you want to do. I went on a solo trip to Sanibel, Florida last winter (im a 27 year old female) because my family couldn’t take their usual Xmas vacation and I get bad seasonal depression and needed sunlight! It wasn’t Disney, but I’d never traveled alone and it was super spontaneous and ended up being great. I ate at bars and that eliminated all awkwardness. I wouldn’t think it was weird at all to see a solo male at Disney. I get it! Don’t let the fear of judgement stop you from living your best life. You have one life to live, make the best of it!

NelleBelle

Depends on how you define weird.

It is unusual, so in that respect it is weird. . But I would still go if you want, I doubt anyone would even notice. They will all assume you are separated from your party. The only time it might get awkward (in your head) is when you are riding rides and the stranger next to you asks where your family is.
I have been on rides by myself and also sat next to strangers while by family was in rows ahead of me...NOT ONCE has anyone ever asked me where my family is!! Is that something that you ask someone who is sitting by themself on a ride? I hope not, because that is "weird"

Starlight67

I have been on rides by myself and also sat next to strangers while by family was in rows ahead of me...NOT ONCE has anyone ever asked me where my family is!! Is that something that you ask someone who is sitting by themself on a ride? I hope not, because that is "weird"

Right!? I can't imagine anyone asking the 'where is your family?' question on a ride, or ANYWHERE in the parks!

At any rate, it is definitely not weird to be alone in a park. There are PLENTY of reasons someone would be by themselves, besides just happily and willingly being on a solo trip:
-You are there with your wife/husband but they are not feeling well and decide to sleep in hotel for day.
-No one else in your party wants do Soarin' because it makes them a little sick, but you think it's awesome so you head over there alone.
-Everyone in your party gets bored at World Showcase but you love it; you spend the morning there alone, and meet up with them later.
Etc.

All day everyday there are guests walking around alone; I hope that OP takes his solo trip! :cool:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
And have single women that want to hang out, come up to me.
True story -- on Tower of Terror on two different single trips, women sitting on either side of me literally grabbed me to comfort themselves during drops.

So there's that... I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom