Bay Lake Tower & Grad Night Disappointment

pax_65

We made our first-ever reservations at the Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort for May 6th and 7th... I was actually surprised we got the reservations because they are tough to get (we've tried before). Then I realized why we were able to get them - May 6th and May 7th are Grad Nights at the Magic Kingdom. So there goes one of the big benefits (to us, anyway) of staying at the Contemporary - staying late at the Magic Kingdom for the parade and fireworks and then walking home.

So we canceled our ressies at BLT and rebooked at Boardwalk for those nights. We'll stay late at Epcot and walk home instead.

I think it's great that Disney has a night for graduates but two weekend nights, two weekends in a row, all at the Magic Kingdom? That's a big chunk out of the Magic Kingdom (the most popular park) for someone who is staying that week.

Mostly I'm just bummed because I was really looking forward to staying at Bay Lake. Guess that experience will have to wait...

durangojim

That's a bummer, but I don't think it's any worse (and it's probably better) than all of the hard ticket events -- MNSSHP and MVMCP that are scheduled 3 and 4x per week.

Upvote 0

cdunbar

We made our first-ever reservations at the Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort for May 6th and 7th... I was actually surprised we got the reservations because they are tough to get (we've tried before). Then I realized why we were able to get them - May 6th and May 7th are Grad Nights at the Magic Kingdom. So there goes one of the big benefits (to us, anyway) of staying at the Contemporary - staying late at the Magic Kingdom for the parade and fireworks and then walking home.

So we canceled our ressies at BLT and rebooked at Boardwalk for those nights. We'll stay late at Epcot and walk home instead.

I think it's great that Disney has a night for graduates but two weekend nights, two weekends in a row, all at the Magic Kingdom? That's a big chunk out of the Magic Kingdom (the most popular park) for someone who is staying that week.

Mostly I'm just bummed because I was really looking forward to staying at Bay Lake. Guess that experience will have to wait...
Well they can't very well have Grad Nights on a Tuesday night as the kids would have to get up and go to school in the AM...:shrug:

Upvote 0

Frightful

Well they can't very well have Grad Nights on a Tuesday night as the kids would have to get up and go to school in the AM...:shrug:

Well, that would be pretty good prep for college.

May 7th is our arrival day and we were going to break tradition by going to MK that night, so much for that. I'd be less annoyed if any park had EMH.

Have you stayed at the Boardwalk before, though? That's in my top 3 dream resorts.

Upvote 0

pax_65

Original Poster
I'm just questioning why they need to compact it together so tightly and all at the Magic Kingdom. We typically travel Thursday through the following Sunday. If I was staying 4/28-5/8 (which thankfully I'm not), I would lose 4 nights at the Magic Kingdom for that trip. That's a LOT of time lost in my favorite park. If they want to do 4 grad nights, why not space it out - every Friday night in May for example?

Or they could have it one night at MK, one night at the Studios, although I'd imagine that would be difficult logistically.

If I still had Saturday night at the MK available to me, I wouldn't have canceled my reservations at the Contemporary. I'd be a little bummed to lose Friday night but I'd shrug that off, understanding that Disney does these special events from time to time.

But both nights? That just sucks. I'm sure other guests who are staying at Magic Kingdom resorts during that time period would sympathize with me...

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm just questioning why they need to compact it together so tightly and all at the Magic Kingdom. We typically travel Thursday through the following Sunday. If I was staying 4/28-5/8 (which thankfully I'm not), I would lose 4 nights at the Magic Kingdom for that trip. That's a LOT of time lost in my favorite park. If they want to do 4 grad nights, why not space it out - every Friday night in May for example?

Or they could have it one night at MK, one night at the Studios, although I'd imagine that would be difficult logistically.

If I still had Saturday night at the MK available to me, I wouldn't have canceled my reservations at the Contemporary. I'd be a little bummed to lose Friday night but I'd shrug that off, understanding that Disney does these special events from time to time.

But both nights? That just sucks. I'm sure other guests who are staying at Magic Kingdom resorts during that time period would sympathize with me...
Unfortunately no matter when they do them they will effect someone. As to why thy have them at MK that is simple. MK is what 90% of the world outside of this forum thinks of when the think of WDW. It also has more attractions that will appeal to high school kids than any other park. Grandnight was held at DHS in 2009 and from what I heard it did not go over all that well as there simply was not enough to do.

Upvote 0

pax_65

Original Poster
May 7th is our arrival day and we were going to break tradition by going to MK that night, so much for that. I'd be less annoyed if any park had EMH.

Have you stayed at the Boardwalk before, though? That's in my top 3 dream resorts.

Right now they are saying that Epcot will have EMH the night of the 6th, while DHS will have EMH the night of the 7th. So that actually works out well for us staying at Boardwalk as that's convenient to both of those parks. I'm sure they will be extra crowded since the MK is closed, though.

I've been to WDW many times since Boardwalk opened but I've never stayed there. So I am looking forward to that... I've heard many good things, and I enjoy the Boardwalk area - ESPN club, etc.

Upvote 0

loveofamouse

I will say that, being a big disney fan, I did NOT go to grad night. Sorry but thousands of teens with nowhere NEAR a good amount of chaperons at all hours of the night at MK, not my cup of tea. I wasn't a prude in school but I wasn't about getting into trouble. I have the bad luck of always being in the right place at the wrong time.

I would definitely avoid MK like the plague for grad night. I heard a bunch of stories of what happened at my grad night and I would never take my kids around that. Sadly, each generation/class gets worse and worse.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney stopped Gradnight soon. If I remember, my county banned these two rival schools from going for the next few years cause they showed their butts that weekend.

Upvote 0

pax_65

Original Poster
I would definitely avoid MK like the plague for grad night.

The other issue is traffic. I stayed at Wilderness Lodge during grad night a couple of years ago. I believe they were parking grad night buses at the old airstrip. They were periodically closing the road to allow buses to enter and leave the roadway. Things were pretty backed up.

So I would add, avoid the entire MK area during grad night. If you're in the Magic Kingdom Resort Area, your best option to get anywhere is probably the monorail to Epcot.

If you're not staying near MK it's not really a big deal (just plan to go to another park those nights), but in the MK area it really is a headache.

Upvote 0

pax_65

Original Poster
I don't have a problem with grad night, I'm sure it is a blast for graduates. I'm just saying that I think Disney is inconveniencing their regular guests a bit too much to accommodate the grads.

Closing Magic Kingdom 4 nights in the span of just 8 days is too much.

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

I understand it's inconvenient, but I am sure if Disney could find a way to do it more efficiently they would. Lucky for you, there are 3 other parks, and many other resorts. Think of the Seniors who go to schools where students are not taken to something so fun and magical to celebrate a large milestone...

Upvote 0

rangerbob

I had a blast at my grad night also but it was also but it was 22 years ago. I think everybody normally has fun at it especially since that is one of the last big events in your school years.

Upvote 0

kc1296426

Magic Kingdom is open 'till 9pm & 11pm during those two weeks on every weeknight. Take advantage of those nights.

Grad Nite is a huge deal for Florida schools, and for Disney. It's a big tradition, & it's always been a staple in our schools... without Disney Grad Nite, you don't really have that senior experience.

It's only 2 days out of 7 days in that TWO week span that the hours are shortened too 7pm. It really isn't that bad, especially when the rest of the nights are open late. Plus, on the days where Grad Nite is that night, Magic Kingdom will not crowded at all. Like, 5min for Space Mountain, not crowded.

Don't be bummed. There's always a next time.

Upvote 0

buseegal

i was at Disneyland for a grad nignt in 68. at that time it was like fri and sat night for 3 or 3 weeks. night i was there, they had like 25 schools. it was crowded but i still remember it.

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

I've already planned around that so it's not a big deal. I love MK at night, but I also love Epcot then as well. My concern was mainly that I'll be at a MK resort during grad nights. I didn't see how that would be a big deal, but everyone seems to say the MK resorts should be avoided during Grad Nights.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom