Bay lake and seven seas lagoon (info)

Phonedave

I believe that a good portion of Seven Seas Lagoon is deeper (or at least consistently deeper) than Bay Lake. When the MK ferry boats have to travel to the maintenance area/dry dock at the north end of Bay Lake, there's a very specific channel they have to follow that's been excavated out for them. I've seen a video somewhere out on the Internet of a ferry getting stuck in shallow water in Bay Lake because it drifted away from the marked channel.

-Rob

From what I was told - and again, it's not a verified source, but I assume a ferry pilot would know the depth of the waters he is navagating, and the draft of his vessel - SSL is deeper on average than Bay Lake, but its on the order of 20-25 feet at its max. According to him, he has also never seen it dredged. The ferries draw about 6-8 feet - which seems a bit shallow to me, but then I am no expert.

I can see that when they have to go into dry dock, the lake gets shallower than 8 feet near the shoreline and they have to follow a channel into the drydock approach.

-dave

Club Cooloholic

I never knew about the depths either, so thanks for posting. As for posters acting like this is common knowledge, two things....one it is not for everyone...and two, this is a kid, I think it's cool he's trying to share some info.

Jseven

- The Seven Seas Lagoon was originally configured for artificial waves, tall enough to allow surfing (shut down due to erosion)
From my understanding, the wave machine was actually installed, just never removed once they decided to shut down. Cool to know there is a machine just sitting at the bottom of the lake.

And speaking of depths, on our KttKT, our guide mentioned the depth of the "river" in jungle cruise averages 3.5 to 4 feet only.

Jseven

sounds like they left some there for coral reef growth. is that the disney term for 'leaving the foundation abandoned and not have to clean up after yourself?'

scottnj1966

I posted the facts I didnt know. I just found it shocking about the bacteria and the depth of the two lakes. That is the main reason I put the facts on here.

So you know every lake in Florida has that bacteria when the heat gets to a certain point. They learned this the hard way a few years back when people started getting sick, I think there were deaths also.

dvcnut39

Should... should we do something about the brain-eating amoebas? :lookaroun

I remember my 1st trip to WDW back in July of 1976. We stayed a week in a RV at Fort Wilderness. I remember renting the mouseboats and swimming in Bay Lake. I don't remember any restrictions back then. Maybe that's what happened to me? :shrug:

Rob562

I remember my 1st trip to WDW back in July of 1976. We stayed a week in a RV at Fort Wilderness. I remember renting the mouseboats and swimming in Bay Lake. I don't remember any restrictions back then. Maybe that's what happened to me? :shrug:

I don't believe the restrictions started until sometime in the 90's. There used to be roped-off and lifeguarded swimming in the lakes at Fort Wilderness, the Polynesian and (I think) the Grand Floridian.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom