Baseball?

M

Mr Lightbeer

Original Poster
On this next trip which is T-minus 50 days we'd like to take in a baseball game.I have heard this is a place where the Yanks go for a chat and a bite to eat and occasionally watch the game . Where do you recommend we go, Disney's W.W.o.Sport or one of the local teams ? We get the general idea of the game but how long does it last and is it boring for the children (7,8,11.)

Also , whose on first base ? :D

Attachments

• mickey005.gif
    mickey005.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 187

Tramp

Hello my friend....

I don't know a whole lot about local Florida baseball...perhaps folks who live in the area can recommend a good semi-pro team but, if you're real serious about seeing MAJOR league baseball, head over to Tampa on August 7, 8, or 9 and watch the Tampa Bay Devil Rays play the WORLD CHAMPION New York Yankees. The games start at 7:15 PM under the lights. The stadium is actually located in St. Petersburg.

A normal 9 inning game lasts about 2.5-3 hours but there are lots of factors which influence the length of a game...
Unlike European soccer matches that sometimes turn violent, baseball games are very orderly and are a great FAMILY sport.

If any of this is possible for you....just put "Devil Rays" into any search engine and you will find their schedule...also...you can buy the tickets in advance thru outlets like "ticketmaster'....try to get seats close to the field near the dugouts so your kids can get a tremendous feeling of the size of the field and stadium. These tickets could get pretty expensive, about $30 for a lower box seat. But it puts you near the field. Hopefully, there will be a couple of homeruns hit so they can see what that looks like...they shouldn't be bored unless the game doesn't have a lot of hitting....otherwise known as a pitchers duel.

Nothing like a cold beer and a hot dog on a hot summer night at a major league stadium.....ahhh, life is great! :)

Hope this helps a little.

Upvote 0

sillyspook13

The Orlando Rays play at Wide World of Sports. I have been to quite a few games with my family. And to make you happy, Mr. Lightbeer, Thursday night is free beer refill night. Now if that is not motivation, I don't know what is.

Upvote 0

Disney Maniac

Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex is a great place to take in one of many sports venues without having to go off of the Walt Disney World Resort property. The Complex is home to the Orlando Rays, the double-A affiliate of the Devil Rays. Call 407-939-GAME for game information.

Here is a list of some of the other events going on during the time of your trip. For more information, check out Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex's website, Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex .

RBI Softball World Series, August 7-12
2001 International Wushu-Kungfu Festival and Championships, August 9-12
AAU 10U/4th Grade Boys Basketball NC, August 2-9

Hope this helps!

Oh, yeah! Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know's on third, Why's left field, Tomorrow's the pitcher, Today's catching,n and I Don't Give A Darn's the shortstop!:D :D :D

Upvote 0

Tramp

Maniac...double AA or triple AAA ball is great...we have a triple A team here in Connecticut and we go often to watch them play...
The only reason why I suggested MAJOR league baseball to Mr. Lightbeer is the Yankees will be in town while he's in Florida.

I think it would be great for his kids to go home and tell their friends that not only did they see a major league team that is steeped with baseball tradition, but saw the team that once hosted the American Icons of Babe Ruth, Joe Dimaggio, Lou Gherig, the late, great Mickey Mantle and others.

The only drawback would be RAIN....he couldn't buy the tickets in advance in case it rains...(unless the Devil Ray stadium has a dome).

Upvote 0

Maria

Mr. Ligthbeer,
I would go to Saint Pete´s to see a real major league game! It is fun!! If we travel from Mexico to see those, why not driving to Tampa and get the real feeling? You won´t regret it! I am sure your kids will have a blast with a real touch of american culture!

Upvote 0

Seano846

I know I'm spoiled because I go to many Yankee games each year But Leave WDW? See a minor league game on property and Enjoy every minute you can At WDW, vacations there are too short and too far apart.

Upvote 0

BMFdisney

The Orlando Rays play at Wide World of Sports. You could always drive to Tampa and see the D-Rays play. But I wouldnt want to drive and see a terrible team like them play, only if it was against a good team like Cleveland or New York. But there is always something going on at the WWOS

Upvote 0

Tramp

Geesh....what an embarrassment....do you really want our British friends to see the Orlando Rays.....
If you went to Rome would you rather see the Vatican or a chapel on Spaghetti Avenue?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom