Bariatric patients

Cubs Brian

Original Poster
I have recently had bariatric surgery so my appetite isn’t nearly what it use to be and we are going to Disney with a large group of friends that have opted to have all of our sit down meals at buffet type places. My Dr has given me a card that tells people that I’ve had weight loss surgery and it suggests they allow me to order off of the children’s menu. Has anyone had any experience with this at Disney? If so did they allow you to do this? Some of the places I’ve been to at home and in Vegas have allowed it, some have not. Thanks

JIMINYCR

Dont have concerns with any of the Disney dining spots, they are very accommodating. My DW has had medical issues where she cant eat certain things or have things cooked without sauces or toppings. Many guests do visit with dietary needs and Disney is wonderful to adjust their meals to help you out. When you are seated, let your CM server know what your needs are and they can assist you, even in the buffet type areas. DW has had some servers adjust the tab down in her case because of the limited amount she was eating, or even cooked items for her that were not on the selections.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Let me preface this by saying I have no personal experience with medical needs. But anecdotal evidence suggests that you will likely have to pay the adult buffet price at buffets or all-you-care-to-enjoy restaurants. Disney charges all guests at buffets whether they eat a little or nothing at all (the reason being there is no way to “police” individuals at buffets). You should do what @JIMINYCR suggests and speak with a chef or manager. You may find an understanding one who will allow your server to charge you the child buffet price, but be prepared for a “no”.

At full service (non buffet) restaurants you will probably have better luck ordering off the children’s menu or requesting a smaller portion of an adult entree. But the price may be higher than the stated children’s price. I have been with older kids/teens who have ordered off the children’s menu and were given a *slightly* larger portion and charged a *slightly* higher price.

At quick service restaurants you can order off the children’s menu without needing to show your card. Cashiers never question an adult ordering a child’s meal.

Chi84

Premium Member
Dont have concerns with any of the Disney dining spots, they are very accommodating. My DW has had medical issues where she cant eat certain things or have things cooked without sauces or toppings. Many guests do visit with dietary needs and Disney is wonderful to adjust their meals to help you out. When you are seated, let your CM server know what your needs are and they can assist you, even in the buffet type areas. DW has had some servers adjust the tab down in her case because of the limited amount she was eating, or even cooked items for her that were not on the selections.
I don't think the OP was asking about dietary accommodations but rather pricing accommodations. Disney is very, very accommodating when it comes to the former - the latter, not so much. It would be too easy for people to take advantage. That's what I've heard anyway. It would be nice to hear from someone who actually experienced this.

JIMINYCR

I don't think the OP was asking about dietary accommodations but rather pricing accommodations. Disney is very, very accommodating when it comes to the former - the latter, not so much. It would be too easy for people to take advantage. That's what I've heard anyway. It would be nice to hear from someone who actually experienced this.
I believe this was covered once before. Adults pay adult prices

I realize the OP was asking because of Bariatric issues and wanting to order childs menu. I still stand by my post. Disney will accommodate for guests dietary and medical needs. And even though they may charge him adult prices, in our recent vacation we ate at 4 buffets and in 2 of those cases the CM's adjusted our tab down. Now I realize Disney isnt about to do that for everyone but they did it twice for my DW. So yes it can happen.

Chi84

Premium Member
I realize the OP was asking because of Bariatric issues and wanting to order childs menu. I still stand by my post. Disney will accommodate for guests dietary and medical needs. And even though they may charge him adult prices, in our recent vacation we ate at 4 buffets and in 2 of those cases the CM's adjusted our tab down. Now I realize Disney isnt about to do that for everyone but they did it twice for my DW. So yes it can happen.
I don't doubt that it did. It's been my experience that Disney is not as rigid about the rules as most posters believe. There's another site where I've read more than once that at buffets Disney even charges kids on feeding tubes. I can't say this has never happened, but what a hardline restaurant that must be!

Minnie Mum

Well think about it for a minute- anybody with a colour printer can forge a doctor's card. How exactly are wait staff supposed to handle these situations, if not by following company policy? And that policy is that at AYCTE restaurants adults pay the adult price. Disney of course will do their best to meet guest's medical dietary needs. This refers to the actual food prepared for the guest. It does NOT refer to special pricing because the guest claims special circumstances. If the OP wants accommodations to be made, perhaps he should have asked his friends to consider his dietary restrictions before booking ALL of their meals at AYCTE restaurants. He would have had little or no problem ordering child portions at a la carte restaurants.

Chi84

Premium Member
Well think about it for a minute- anybody with a colour printer can forge a doctor's card. How exactly are wait staff supposed to handle these situations, if not by following company policy? And that policy is that at AYCTE restaurants adults pay the adult price. Disney of course will do their best to meet guest's medical dietary needs. This refers to the actual food prepared for the guest. It does NOT refer to special pricing because the guest claims special circumstances. If the OP wants accommodations to be made, perhaps he should have asked his friends to consider his dietary restrictions before booking ALL of their meals at AYCTE restaurants. He would have had little or no problem ordering child portions at a la carte restaurants.
Maybe he didn't care enough about getting a reduced price to disrupt his friends' plans. I think he just posted here to get a sense of what would happen if he showed his doctor's note to staff and asked for the child's price because he had some success with that at the Vegas buffets. No question the policy is he has to pay adult price, and that's as it should be for the reasons you state. But at Disney practice often differs from policy, no matter how unwise we think it to be.

Cubs Brian

Original Poster
You are 100% correct. I’m not about to ask 15 people to change their plans to accommodate me. Just was curious as to wether anyone had any insight based on experience as to what Disney’s stance on this is.

Club Cooloholic

Ugh...My daughter eats like a bird and I still have to pay for her whole meal weather she just eats 3 tenders and nothing else or a whole meal. In the eyes of disney when she turns 10 she will be an adult and I will have to pay the full price. And honestly when your at a buffet the food is mass produced so your not really costing the restaurant more or less by what you eat during your time there. Asking to pay less because of this is just not right.
I edited this a bit from my original post because I calmed down a bit lol

Last edited:

correcaminos

You are 100% correct. I’m not about to ask 15 people to change their plans to accommodate me. Just was curious as to wether anyone had any insight based on experience as to what Disney’s stance on this is.
Buffets will not be child prices. If you want to have smaller portions and pay less, do sit downs. Pretty much end of story. You might get someone who discounts it a little maybe, if they are nice, but don't count on it. In this case a card won't help at all as you are paying as much for the experience as the food.

Your card "allows" you to order off the kids menu. At a buffet there is no 'kids menu' as anyone can get the kids food. TBH ordering smaller portions off of a regular menu is easy with or without a card. If you want to save money, skip the buffets. A card will not help in this case.

As an FYI, I am a petite woman. At 9, my boy was maybe within 25 pounds of me and about 1-2 inches. He ate just as much as I did. They don't adjust for me just because I eat like a bird because I'm the size of my now 10yo. They really don't care about that. Because I know buffets are wasteful on me, we opt to skip them for the most part - which is my suggestion to you.

Chi84

Premium Member
Buffets will not be child prices. If you want to have smaller portions and pay less, do sit downs. Pretty much end of story. You might get someone who discounts it a little maybe, if they are nice, but don't count on it. In this case a card won't help at all as you are paying as much for the experience as the food.

Your card "allows" you to order off the kids menu. At a buffet there is no 'kids menu' as anyone can get the kids food. TBH ordering smaller portions off of a regular menu is easy with or without a card. If you want to save money, skip the buffets. A card will not help in this case.

As an FYI, I am a petite woman. At 9, my boy was maybe within 25 pounds of me and about 1-2 inches. He ate just as much as I did. They don't adjust for me just because I eat like a bird because I'm the size of my now 10yo. They really don't care about that. Because I know buffets are wasteful on me, we opt to skip them for the most part - which is my suggestion to you.
I think the OP knows all this and was just asking about people's actual experiences with medical issues - such as bariatric surgery - at buffets. The policy is clear that adults pay the adult price, but the practice sometimes differs, as at least one poster reported. Also, the OP has been pretty clear about saying that he won't skip the buffets even if the price is not reduced.

correcaminos

I think the OP knows all this and was just asking about people's actual experiences with medical issues - such as bariatric surgery - at buffets. The policy is clear that adults pay the adult price, but the practice sometimes differs, as at least one poster reported. Also, the OP has been pretty clear about saying that he won't skip the buffets even if the price is not reduced.
If the OP knew all of that, then I'm not sure why they asked. I answered because that is the policy. No need to single me out either as I am hardly the only person to have said this as well. Also while the practice *may* differ, I'd say it's rare. As I said the card is to alert the server to let the person order off of a kids menu. That's it from what I've seen of my friends who have had it. In fact most don't bother since it's easy to just explain. I find servers in general across the US are nice about needing smaller meals.

My point above, if you read before bothering to quote me, was that it is about an experience, not food quantity which is why they pretty much never adjust food costs. In fact none of my friends who have had bariatric surgery would ever have asked for a reduced price buffet because they know what it's about.

Cubs Brian

Original Poster
I have actually been to a bunch of buffets that will discount for bariatric patients. Been to several in Vegas and here at home around Chicago. And I’ve noticed that many of the higher end places usually accept the card while less expensive ( Golden Corral and similar) don’t.

Chi84

Premium Member
If the OP knew all of that, then I'm not sure why they asked. I answered because that is the policy. No need to single me out either as I am hardly the only person to have said this as well. Also while the practice *may* differ, I'd say it's rare. As I said the card is to alert the server to let the person order off of a kids menu. That's it from what I've seen of my friends who have had it. In fact most don't bother since it's easy to just explain. I find servers in general across the US are nice about needing smaller meals.

My point above, if you read before bothering to quote me, was that it is about an experience, not food quantity which is why they pretty much never adjust food costs. In fact none of my friends who have had bariatric surgery would ever have asked for a reduced price buffet because they know what it's about.
Sorry I quoted you. I didn’t realize that was a touchy subject. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe the OP did actually post in order to get scolded.

correcaminos

Sorry I quoted you. I didn’t realize that was a touchy subject. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe the OP did actually post in order to get scolded.
Not touchy, just confused. Even more now since I wasn't scolding. Not sure if you're reading me wrong, or I am you, but none of that was my intent. Just saying what you pay for really isn't about food at buffets. They really don't care how much you eat.

StarWarsGirl

My experience having food allergies is that typically, buffets/family style are more difficult than a la carte. I'm allergic to pineapple, and even though we called in advance, we still had a problem at the luau at Polynesian. I ended up eating salad and ranch, and then got quick service later. Still got charged the same price.

Do you have to eat all your meals with your group? Can you get ADRs at similar times for other places that are a la carte? Maybe the solution isn't to make everyone change their plans, but to just break off so you can get what you need. It shouldn't be an issue to order off the kids' menu in most places, or to share with another person, or to order appetizers in lieu of a full meal.

If you do go to buffets, maybe opt to do smaller portions of the premium stuff. For instance, if you're going to Cape May, do a lot of seafood. You'll get your money out of it that way.

Club Cooloholic

Not touchy, just confused. Even more now since I wasn't scolding. Not sure if you're reading me wrong, or I am you, but none of that was my intent. Just saying what you pay for really isn't about food at buffets. They really don't care how much you eat.
What they want is you to drink!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom