Balloons in the Disney Parks.

john james gillespie

Original Poster
I remember as a child going to the Magic Kingdom and around noon or 1:00pm each day a massive amounts of balloons would be launched into the sky from Cinderellas castle. I loved that so much. I would watch them float away on a sunny day and most of the balloons would stay clustered together and could be seen for miles. Later i realized that the Disney Park stopped doing this because sea turtles in the oceans would mistake them for jellyfish and eat them and die. I fully understand why the balloons were no longer used. I was thinking, if rice paper or soy oil or corn oil etc. were used to make the balloons, or some other product that would degrade in water, then the balloons could be launched again. Also, the balloons sold to children in the parks could be made from the same material. Another concern is that some people are allergic to latex products made from rubber. This might cut down or eliminate this allergic reaction as well as be more friendly for the environment. These organic balloons could also be brightly colored just like latex balloons.

NelleBelle

I remember as a child going to the Magic Kingdom and around noon or 1:00pm each day a massive amounts of balloons would be launched into the sky from Cinderellas castle. I loved that so much. I would watch them float away on a sunny day and most of the balloons would stay clustered together and could be seen for miles. Later i realized that the Disney Park stopped doing this because sea turtles in the oceans would mistake them for jellyfish and eat them and die. I fully understand why the balloons were no longer used. I was thinking, if rice paper or soy oil or corn oil etc. were used to make the balloons, or some other product that would degrade in water, then the balloons could be launched again. Also, the balloons sold to children in the parks could be made from the same material. Another concern is that some people are allergic to latex products made from rubber. This might cut down or eliminate this allergic reaction as well as be more friendly for the environment. These organic balloons could also be brightly colored just like latex balloons.
The clear Deco outer balloon is not made of latex (my oldest son has a latex allergy and did just fine with those balloons). One fact I learned back when my kids were young and we were buying the balloons--if you save every part of the balloon (string, weight, inner/outer balloon, light stick (if you have a light-up balloon) and bring it back (even years later), Disney will replace the balloon for free, no questions asked. I learned this from the balloon CM. I doubt one could do that with the biodegradable balloons. And latex is considered "biodegradable" until they add the dyes and chemicals to allow the balloon to retain it's stretchiness/avoid becoming brittle. But can take upwards of 6-months to 7-years to degrade. Regardless, balloon releases have been banned in numerous states, including FL and CA, so I'm sure that would include these "more friendly for the environment" balloons. And I can't imagine that anything that's made from oils is all that great as it's likely more than just soy or corn oil in them.

https://ecofreek.com/biodegradable/biodegradable-balloons/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom