Balconies being removed from Dolphin

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
It seems the hotel is telling guests they are “reimagining” the exterior of the hotel, including balconies.

It has to be for a refurb, they wouldn't permanently leave them off. More so for themselves then their patrons.

Almost certainly. But if they were removing them, wouldn’t the removal of the railings come first, followed by the concrete bases? So it’s possible that this is the first step.

However I’d be surprised if they got rid of balconies from all rooms.

lazyboy97o

It seems the hotel is telling guests they are “reimagining” the exterior of the hotel, including balconies.

Almost certainly. But if they were removing them, wouldn’t the removal of the railings come first, followed by the concrete bases? So it’s possible that this is the first step.

However I’d be surprised if they got rid of balconies from all rooms.
There is a good chance the slabs are post-tensioned which would significantly complicate removing the balconies. Just drilling a new hole in a post-tensioned slab involves X-ray imaging to ensure the tensioned tendons are not damaged. Even if it were a conventional slab, cutting through would expose a bunch of rebar that would have to be protected by new concrete work added on.

That’s all assuming the balconies aren’t being fully removed but cut down to be Juliette balconies. Fully removing the balconies so they match the rooms without balconies would involve removing the doors and opening up the exterior wall of the building.

Mickey527

Years ago, I think around 1999 I stayed at Dolphin and was given the floor with the huge planters. We had a balcony but it was the roof.
It poured that year on NYE so we brought out our room chairs and went out near the planters and watched all the fireworks from the roof.
Our clothes were soaked but what a great place for fireworks. MK, Epcot and HS. Surrounded

MaryJaneP

Let's see. The first thing to be removed if they were, indeed, removing the balconies, should probably not be the railings but everyone approaches risk mitigation differently. Leave the door and the pad but remove the railing. Yeah, that makes tons of sense!

nickys

Premium Member
Original Poster
Let's see. The first thing to be removed if they were, indeed, removing the balconies, should probably not be the railings but everyone approaches risk mitigation differently. Leave the door and the pad but remove the railing. Yeah, that makes tons of sense!
Those rooms aren’t occupied.

lazyboy97o

If one was to remove a balcony, removing the railings would very likely be the first step as it otherwise blocks a lot of access.

surfsupdon

Balconies add value to the room, at a much higher price point than a non balcony room. The balconies are not going anywhere.

dave&di

I don’t see the logic, why would they want to remove all the balconies permanently? People pay more for those. 🤷‍♀️

DCBaker

Premium Member
D6330FC8-958F-40BE-83A2-9C0E20D2F831.jpeg

COProgressFan

It's interesting, we stayed at the Dolphin in December for the first time and had a balcony. We were on the 8th floor I think, and I remember thinking they seemed sort of precariously placed. I'm sure they are fully structurally sound, but the fact they they are just protrusions of concrete from the building, with no sides or enclosure, etc., made me a little nervous, and I'm not afraid of heights at all. There was also a pretty good size gap between the railing where it met the building. It was probably just two or three inches, but enough to make me uncomfortable. Would not let my 8 or 10 year old out there without me sitting there as well.

So, no idea what they doing, but even a better railing more secured to the building with no gaps would be an improvement.

lazyboy97o

It's interesting, we stayed at the Dolphin in December for the first time and had a balcony. We were on the 8th floor I think, and I remember thinking they seemed sort of precariously placed. I'm sure they are fully structurally sound, but the fact they they are just protrusions of concrete from the building, with no sides or enclosure, etc., made me a little nervous, and I'm not afraid of heights at all. There was also a pretty good size gap between the railing where it met the building. It was probably just two or three inches, but enough to make me uncomfortable. Would not let my 8 or 10 year old out there without me sitting there as well.

So, no idea what they doing, but even a better railing more secured to the building with no gaps would be an improvement.
The concrete is part of the slab, no different than the floor of the rest of the room.

That gap between the building and guard is part of tolerances so it can actually be installed. Anchoring them into the walls would not really make them more secure, and could cause other issues with the building envelope.

TheHotelGuy

Hotels would never go through the expense of de-constructing/removing the balcony. If Marriott has decided the balconies are a liability issue, they will drill the balcony doors permanently shut with tamper-proof screws; just like hundreds of other hotels have done within the past two decades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom