Bad service on a large party

Beccone

Original Poster
Has anyone that has dined with a party of 6 or more had bad service at a restaurant? I ask this because my family was at 50's Primetime last week and we usually enjoy it alot, but this time our server absolutely sucked! He was not in character at all which I know is a hit or miss there but all in all he was a horrible server. Took forever to get to our table, drinks took forever, food came out fast but of course he didn't bring it to our table so I don't think he had anything to do with that. Then while I was in the restroom with our daughter my husband ordered dessert and forgot to order our children's, I would have thought that with us being on the dining plan the server would have asked if the kids wanted their dessert (like all of the other servers did at other restaurants when dessert was included). After I got back from the restroom I caught the guy and asked that our kids sundaes be brought out, our desserts came out and after 10 minutes the kids still weren't out so I told him to forget it. By this point we had been there at the table over an hour and a half and we had missed the last show of Beauty and the Beast (which my daughter really wanted to see) so I just wanted to get out. Also I should point out that we were celebrating our 2 son's birthdays and my mother in law's, they were all born the same week, and all of them were wearing their buttons but the server never even said happy birthday to any of them, let alone have the servers sing. So then of course when our bill came the 18% gratuity was added right on. Now I have no objection to the gratuity being added on in most cases but I felt this guy figured since he knew the gratuity was going to be added that he didn't have to pay much attention to our group. I worked in the restaurant business for 12 years and my husband is a general manager of a restaurant so we are very lenient when it comes to service but this was so obvious that he did not care whether we were having an enjoyable time or not. And his other tables around us were being taken care of. If this had happened in any other restaurant I would have demanded that the 18% be removed and I would tip him accordingly. But this being Disney, we didn't do that, in any restaurant I have ever worked at if the guest wanted the gratuity removed they would do it but I wan't sure if that was Disney's policy or not. We paid what we owed and both my husband an I spoke to the manager on the way out to let her know she had a problem. Sorry to vent so long but I was just so disappointed in our dining experience and ahd to share and wanted to know if anyone else had ever experienced similar service when they were with a large party.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's a shame you had such a bad experience, but you did the right thing by letting the manager know.

Perhaps you should also write a letter to Guest Relations.

toystorymaniacs

We travel with my sister's family and so we usually have a party of 9. Usually our service is pretty good, but it does seem like about once per trip you get a server that is not thrilled to have that large of a group with that many kids. The Yak and Yeti last year was horrible and Coral Reef the year before that. Although I guess one per trip isn't to bad, but it's kept us from going back to either of those places.

foreverbelle

Well thanks for heads up. My husband and I are taking my entire family down next year, and dinning is something we are concerned about. Its a lot to take on for a party of 9....though I don't think we are going to eat as one big party all the time, it still makes me nervous that we are going to have something like this happen.

I will say, when we were at the 50's cafe a couple of weeks ago. I didn't think our waiter was in full character mode either. He was good, but not like the others I had seen.

luvlifeinfl

Sorry to hear what had happened, but I thought the 18% was automatic for a party of 8 or more. so I would think that you could have adjusted the gratuity on what you seemd fit based on your service.

EDIT- I went back and read the brochure and it does state 6 or more, so sorry for my above note.

coltow

Let me chime in here. Last summer we traveled with extended family. At most meals there were 15 of us. We never had any problems. The only real wait we had was at Le Cellier. And the only "slow" service we experienced was at Coral Reef. Both of those meals took us about 90-100 mns from check-in to bill pay. The only bill problem we had was at H&V because 2 of my sisters wanted to pay for drinks and tip with cash rather than charge back to room. Server seemed put off by this, which we couldn't understand. This took about an extra 10-15 mns to get settled.

lighteningqueen

We have been to 50's Prime 3 times and NEVER got a good waiter to joke with. Matter of fact the first time he came back only one time and left us sitting in a room off the side just watching others have fun.. sent in someone else to give us our food drinks then showed up at bill time. We didn't pay him the 18% he got 15 and didn't deserve that. Last year we went and had a lady she was just a lady. No nothing there again. This is why people go there to be included or have a good time and this place seems to be loosing their charm should I say. I even asked when we checked in to be with a fun waiter or waitress.. nothing..We were a party of 4 adults and 1 child 6. he was ready to joke and nothing nada...

RiversideBunny

I think that being a CM waiter at 50's Prime Time is a tough job in that you have to insult people a little but not too much.
A fine line.

Just go for the fried chicken and the s'mores.

:)

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
That sucks. Ive been to 50's 3 times now and Ive always had great service. I dont even get yelled at because I eat my veggies, and all my food, and Im on my best behavior there as well! :king:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Just my two cents...I think that if you felt that you very poor service that you were questioning his right to 18% you probably should have talked to the manager before paying. You shouldn't have been forced to pay for something you didn't really receive. I'm not really a fan of automatic gratuity, it seems to me that whenever it is automatically added to my bill the quality of of services goes down. This may ruffle some feathers, but it really bothers me at a buffet when all people are doing is getting me a drink (possibly) and taking away my dirty plate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom