BAD experience at Smokehouse in EPCOT

macefamily

Original Poster
We went for a really quick weekend trip from PA to attend the International Arts Festival with my daughter and try some of that great new menu. It was excellent. All agreed that the tomato soup and toasted cheese w/ bacon was a simple dish, but very tasty and very popular (longest line at any stand). We never tried Smokehouse so we agreed that Sunday night after doing two parks we'll head over in the evening and have a light dinner there. My daughter got the burger with the brisket, pulled pork, and onion. She loved it. Wife got the pulled pork platter which she really liked. I got the ribs which were seasoned well, but a bit dry. All agreed it was a very good meal. May I note, it was the only thing we had since 11:00 AM at the House of Blues brunch.
Here's where holy hell broke loose. We got back to our hotel about 9:30. Daughter laid in bed with her dog and I was watching the NFL playoff wrap ups.
My daughter suddenly popped up from her bed saying she felt warm and her stomach was in knots. She ran to the bathroom and the gates opened. Was in there about 15 minutes throwing up. At first I thought Covid, but she cooled down after her expulsion. Not good.
About an hour later my stomach started grumbling and I had to run in there, but the results were a bit different than hers (if you catch the gist). I was in the bathroom an additional three times throughout the night.
Given the timeframe, I can only deduce that this was from our food. We shared a little bit with each other, but my wife didn't get sick. We did get to Smokehouse late, and got our platters at about 7:35, just before closing. I don't know how long they leave the smoked food waiting for pending orders, but the smoker was not going when we arrived which I fully understand.
First bad food experience we had within the Disney parks. Very upset.
How do I notify Disney ?

UNCgolf

First of all, next time you want BBQ at Disney, go to Disney Springs and Polite Pig. It's a much better option.

Secondly, although most people assume the last thing they ate made them sick, that's often not the case. It's often caused by something you ate several meals ago -- it could have been your lunch from the day before, for example. It's incredibly difficult to know what caused any kind of stomach issues.

jaklgreen

That does sound like a classic case of food poisoning. But somehow businesses have convinced people that there is "no way to tell" if it came from them. Either way, if you have been on Disney property for days and only eating their food, it's on them. I doubt they will do anything for you though. Sorry you had to go through that. I got food poisoning once from the Backlot Express at DHS. I went to first aid and they basically said, "too bad, nothing we can do". I went to guest services and said that I don't feel like I can make it back to the resort on the bus because of the unpredictable nature of my bowels at the time. They were much nicer and gave me a ride back to the resort in a car.

UNCgolf

That does sound like a classic case of food poisoning. But somehow businesses have convinced people that there is "no way to tell" if it came from them. Either way, if you have been on Disney property for days and only eating their food, it's on them. I doubt they will do anything for you though. Sorry you had to go through that. I got food poisoning once from the Backlot Express at DHS. I went to first aid and they basically said, "too bad, nothing we can do". I went to guest services and said that I don't feel like I can make it back to the resort on the bus because of the unpredictable nature of my bowels at the time. They were much nicer and gave me a ride back to the resort in a car.

I realize I'm being pedantic here, but that's almost definitely not food poisoning. Food poisoning generally lasts at least a day and sometimes several days; being sick for a couple of hours isn't food poisoning. That doesn't mean the sickness wasn't caused by food, just that it's not probably not actual food poisoning, which is pretty serious and often results in hospitalization.

It's also not businesses convincing people of that; it's science. Almost all bacterial infections from contaminated food take at least 12 hours, and many take several days.

Regardless, this probably was some sort of reaction to food, and if the OP had only eaten at Disney in the past couple of days it's still worth complaining.

jaklgreen

I realize I'm being pedantic here, but that's almost definitely not food poisoning. Food poisoning generally lasts at least a day and sometimes several days; being sick for a couple of hours isn't food poisoning. That doesn't mean the sickness wasn't caused by food, just that it's not probably not actual food poisoning, which is pretty serious and often results in hospitalization.

It's also not businesses convincing people of that; it's science. Almost all bacterial infections from contaminated food take at least 12 hours, and many take several days.

Regardless, this probably was some sort of reaction to food, and if the OP had only eaten at Disney in the past couple of days it's still worth complaining.

You know that there are several different types of food poisoning and "bugs" that reside on food that can make you sick right? Everyone is affected differently by food poisoning. I have had it several times in my life. For me, it comes on within the hour and once I "expel" everything that is coming out, I feel better. Many people are like this and there is no "standard" time frame. Again, what you are saying is something that keeps being thrown around to "discredit" food poisoning allegations. This is from the Mayo clinic website.

Symptoms​

Food poisoning symptoms vary with the source of contamination. Most types of food poisoning cause one or more of the following signs and symptoms:

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Watery or bloody diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain and cramps
  • Fever
Signs and symptoms may start within hours after eating the contaminated food, or they may begin days or even weeks later. Sickness caused by food poisoning generally lasts from a few hours to several days.

macefamily

Original Poster
Yes, my daughter and I usually after eating at the same establishment, almost simultaneously, emit bodily waste, prior to digesting, after only eating a meal two hours prior. Right. If you're trying to argue against this, you're either a rube or just a Mickey licker.
Your choice of words like "almost always" and "usually" tell me you're reaching. You want to say that Disney can do no wrong.
And by the way, did I tell you when it actually ended. I gave you a summation of what happened that evening.
There are many levels of food poisoning. I eat a lot of raw protein foods and I don't have any reactions.
So when is BBQ more dangerous than raw seafood.

macefamily

Original Poster
Bingo Matt. There was no pull on the ribs. It was like rib jerky on a bone. It also had a nice effect on my digestive system; kind of like a rib enema. Of course I noticed the smoker was off at 7:30, as well it should be, but I wonder when the last batch is completed and stored ? And how is it stored, under hot lamps ?

Lilofan

We went for a really quick weekend trip from PA to attend the International Arts Festival with my daughter and try some of that great new menu. It was excellent. All agreed that the tomato soup and toasted cheese w/ bacon was a simple dish, but very tasty and very popular (longest line at any stand). We never tried Smokehouse so we agreed that Sunday night after doing two parks we'll head over in the evening and have a light dinner there. My daughter got the burger with the brisket, pulled pork, and onion. She loved it. Wife got the pulled pork platter which she really liked. I got the ribs which were seasoned well, but a bit dry. All agreed it was a very good meal. May I note, it was the only thing we had since 11:00 AM at the House of Blues brunch.
Here's where holy hell broke loose. We got back to our hotel about 9:30. Daughter laid in bed with her dog and I was watching the NFL playoff wrap ups.
My daughter suddenly popped up from her bed saying she felt warm and her stomach was in knots. She ran to the bathroom and the gates opened. Was in there about 15 minutes throwing up. At first I thought Covid, but she cooled down after her expulsion. Not good.
About an hour later my stomach started grumbling and I had to run in there, but the results were a bit different than hers (if you catch the gist). I was in the bathroom an additional three times throughout the night.
Given the timeframe, I can only deduce that this was from our food. We shared a little bit with each other, but my wife didn't get sick. We did get to Smokehouse late, and got our platters at about 7:35, just before closing. I don't know how long they leave the smoked food waiting for pending orders, but the smoker was not going when we arrived which I fully understand.
First bad food experience we had within the Disney parks. Very upset.
How do I notify Disney ?
I've worked in restaurants in my younger days. I would avoid going to a dining location at their closing. You may be getting the scraps.

Clamman73

Maybe once after Satuli canteen did I have something weird happen in the evening...usually when at Disney I try to stay with what I think would be safe like something that comes with french fries kind of food.
I did try the smokehouse brisket sandwich this past trip but that was right around opening and did fine.

One thing I would watch would be a slow day at Epcot festival booths if they had some food items sitting around in the dish waiting for customers.

UNCgolf

I really like the menu options at the Regal Eagle Smokehouse at the American Adventure. When I went though, the food I got seemed like it had been sitting out for a long time/not as fresh...

As I said above, if you want decent BBQ at Disney, you need to go to Polite Pig at Disney Springs. Skip Regal Eagle.

UNCgolf

Thank you jacklgreen. But there are people that will defend Disney on every front. Disney cucks.

I'm not sure how anything I said could lead you to think I am a Disney defender (spoiler alert: I'm not even remotely close to being one) or that I'm saying they aren't to blame for your illness, but keep on making stuff up in your head, I guess.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom