Bad Disneyland books?

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Does anyone know of any awful Disneyland books? It’s easy to find recommendations for good Disneyland books, but I feel like this thread could potentially be a useful tool to some as a warning about books that should belong in Dismal Land.
EDIT: This thread can also be used to criticize works such as magazines, newspapers, videos, online articles, fan fiction, etc. As long as it’s about Disneyland (or Disneyland in general) and it’s bad, have at it.

Last edited:

RandySavage

This is going to be an outlier, but I regret spending a lot on the famously-sought after "Disneyland Nickel Tour" book. I got it because I had read several places that it was the be-all end-all of Disneyland coffe-table books, but I barely ever look at it. The imagery (90% of the reason I buy theme park books) throughout the book is lower quality: sometimes washed-out, sometimes blurred and all quite small reproductions of postcards. The new Taschen book and the now-rare "Art of Disneyland" are easily my favorite books on the Anaheim park.

Also disappointing due to the frustatingly-small images are the Imagineering Field Guids (which I would love had they come in a larger size).

Last edited:

Stevek

I found The Disneylands That Never Were to be rather lacking. A lot cursory information more than anything unique.
I would agree with this as well as The Disneyland Almanac...that's the only Disneyland book I've ever returned.

The People vs Disneyland is incredibly dry and tough to get through
Dispatch from Disneyland...started, still haven't finished.

I've reach quite a few "fiction" books as well which I tend to enjoy...Hidden Mickey series (not the find the shapes in the parks books), Hidden Mickey Adventures, Disneyland Quest, Disneylanders, Deadliest Cast Member...I find them fun because they are reasonably well written and you can easily put yourself into the story given the settings.

SuddenStorm

I've been collecting a lot of books written by former CM's- and the quality varies widely. Editing and grammar errors are usually frequent, and the writing is often amateur at best. But each usually has a story or two worth hearing and the passion comes through in the text.

mickEblu

I wasn’t a huge fan of Marty Sklars book One Little Spark. Don’t remember why other than it not having a lot of depth (which I should have know from having “Mickeys 10 commandments” in the title). All in all it was an ok light read but nothing memorable. Except when he said Walt was wrong and that the Mansion at DL should have been old and Decrepit looking on the outside. Anyway, it was only $15 or something so...

Stevek

I've been collecting a lot of books written by former CM's- and the quality varies widely. Editing and grammar errors are usually frequent, and the writing is often amateur at best. But each usually has a story or two worth hearing and the passion comes through in the text.
I've found the theme park press books to have many editing issues...content is often fine but editing can be very hit and miss.

SuddenStorm

I wasn’t a huge fan of Marty Sklars book One Little Spark. Don’t remember why other than it not having a lot of depth (which I should have know from having “Mickeys 10 commandments” in the title). All in all it was an ok light read but nothing memorable. Except when he said Walt was wrong and that the Mansion at DL should have been old and Decrepit looking on the outside. Anyway, it was only $15 or something so...

I just purchased that book last week.

I thought it was amusing that there's not a single reference of Tony Baxter in the entire book... something you'd have to almost do intentionally on a book about how to be a quality Imagineer.

RandySavage

I mean if you don't want it, I'd consider making an offer.
I'd happily consider listening, but it commands pretty ridiculous prices on amazon - which is where I'm thinking about listing it. Feel free to DM me. I'd call the condition "very good". Inside is pretty much new, slight wear to dust jacket.

Figments Friend

Marty's prior book ( Dream It! Do It! - My Half Century Creating Disney's Magic Kingdoms ) is a much better investment.
I recommend it, and it's a must read if one is looking for interesting insights and good 'battelfield' stories.
Marty is rather frank in some comments, which i appreciated....especially when covering things he was not overly keen on during his tenture.

-

Figments Friend

I just purchased that book last week.

I thought it was amusing that there's not a single reference of Tony Baxter in the entire book... something you'd have to almost do intentionally on a book about how to be a quality Imagineer.

Marty's prior publication 'Dream It! Do It!' that i mention above is a far better read.
You will happy to hear that it does contain some rather nice comments regarding Mr. Baxter and his work.
:)

-

mickEblu

Marty's prior book ( Dream It! Do It! - My Half Century Creating Disney's Magic Kingdoms ) is a much better investment.
I recommend it, and it's a must read if one is looking for interesting insights and good 'battelfield' stories.
Marty is rather frank in some comments, which i appreciated....especially when covering things he was not overly keen on during his tenture.

-

I agree. I also have that one and enjoyed it much more.

It was really hard for me to picture some of those EPCOT ride systems having never been there.

SuddenStorm

Marty's prior publication 'Dream It! Do It!' that i mention above is a far better read.
You will happy to hear that it does contain some rather nice comments regarding Mr. Baxter and his work.
:)

-

I'm reading that one right now! I'm about halfway through. Very intriguing book, and I got it on sale for $9 so I'm especially pleased with the purchase.

Rich T

Richard Schickel's famously mean-spirited, anti-Disney "The Disney Version" only touches on Disneyland briefly, but--like most of the book--it's written from the point of view of someone determined to prove Walt Disney destroyed world culture forever, and would qualify for me as a very, very bad Disneyland book. :D The guy clearly could write well and make some valid points, but he pretty much viewed human AA figures as the most evil, deplorable, horrific invention in the history of mankind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom