Backyard Imagineering

Mr Disney

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Just wondering, are there any cool lighting effects that could be created WITHOUT spending a fortune and simulating the fiberoptic starfield in Tower of Terror. Any other lighting projects are welcomed as well Thanks everybody.

woofboy111

You could use grain of rice light bulbs. I'm not sure how much these cost, and fiber optics might be cheaper. Another idea is to take one of those nets of christmas lights that the sell at xmas time, and attach them to a background painted black. Painting the wires would be even more effective, but that's a little time consuming. Then all you need to do is turn off the normal lights, and turn on the x-mas lights, and you have a starfield. I haven't actually tried this, but I've seen it done on peoples houses for halloween and it looks really cool.

At http://markbutler.8m.com/monsterlist.htm they have lots of links related to halloween house decorating. A few of them are how to make some cool lighting effects, but I think some of them may be a bit complacated.

Mr Disney

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Reason

The reason that I was asking for the lighting effects was because I think that the ones at hiddenmickeys.org is so limited when there could be a lot more. I'm 14 so I don't have as much of a wide range of Imagineering abilities as some "grown-ups" I usually call them adults:slurp: :king:

go to THEFIBEROPTICSTORE.com...I use it for my architectural model, but has examples and steps to using fiber optics...he will also send you a free sample...very good....

Mr Disney

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Thanks

Hey thanks for the other site! I'll try it. I am actually in the process of building the flickering tunell lamps from HIDDENMICKEYS.com I'll let you know how that works out.

raven

Originally posted by Mr Disney
Just wondering, are there any cool lighting effects that could be created WITHOUT spending a fortune and simulating the fiberoptic starfield in Tower of Terror. Any other lighting projects are welcomed as well Thanks everybody.

Besides being a CM, I also work at a theatre doing special effects specializing in lighting effects.

Fiber-optic Curtains are very expensive and can be easily damaged so we created a very inexpensive effect using ordinary Christmas lights.

We painted several 4'x8' wood panels flat black. This would serve as the blackness of space. Then we randomly placed the Christmas lights on the back and poked only the tip through a tiny pre-drilled hole in the wall. (Note, don't poke the entire bulb through, just the tiny tip!)
We then hung a black scrim (theatrical curtain) in front of the wall to hide any reflected light from any other sorce.

When lit, the wall looks like a real starfield! If we wanted more stars, we added more lights. It's very simple and we kept the panels to use whenever a night scene was needed for future productions.

TIP: Keep the lights dim. Stars by nature don't blow you away with their brightness. A dim effect is best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom