Backtracking from BTMRR

AugieMorosco

Original Poster
I love the charm of Tom Sawyer Island. What I don't love is that I have to backtrack from BTMRR to get back to any other part of the park. Maybe it's because I've done it with sore feet or in the hottest part of the day and have this traumatic association, but I always find myself frustrated with it. I feel like there should be some way to cross the Rivers Of America and get over by Haunted Mansion, yet I cannot think of any logistical way this could work without wiping out Tom Sawyer Island and building a big walkway across (which I would not be in favor of). With backstage and show-buildings, I don't think you could really extend the park out behind the Island. It just seems like it's RIGHT THERE, yet you have to walk a mile to get to it. I've never seen this topic discussed and just wondering if anyone else has given this thought.

HarperRose

I love the charm of Tom Sawyer Island. What I don't love is that I have to backtrack from BTMRR to get back to any other part of the park. Maybe it's because I've done it with sore feet or in the hottest part of the day and have this traumatic association, but I always find myself frustrated with it. I feel like there should be some way to cross the Rivers Of America and get over by Haunted Mansion, yet I cannot think of any logistical way this could work without wiping out Tom Sawyer Island and building a big walkway across (which I would not be in favor of). With backstage and show-buildings, I don't think you could really extend the park out behind the Island. It just seems like it's RIGHT THERE, yet you have to walk a mile to get to it. I've never seen this topic discussed and just wondering if anyone else has given this thought.
You wouldn't be able to do it without completely reworking the line for HM, since it hugs the riverbank. Walking around behind TS Island past HM would be just as far, IMO.

dmw

In the Parks
No
I dare say it won’t be seen as an issue forever.
Sounds like a hint about an expansion similar to what we saw in Disneyland California, except some other attraction(s) instead of SWGE. :cautious: ;)

And, to the original OP, a walk all the way around ROA, past a redesigned HM queue would be much longer than the backtrack to the path split at Splash Mtn.

SteveAZee

Sounds like a hint about an expansion similar to what we saw in Disneyland California, except some other attraction(s) instead of SWGE. :cautious: ;)

And, to the original OP, a walk all the way around ROA, past a redesigned HM queue would be much longer than the backtrack to the path split at Splash Mtn.
I would think that the sense of 'backtracking' wouldn't happen if there are attractions, stores, and restaurants on the path north of ROA.

dmw

In the Parks
No
I would think that the sense of 'backtracking' wouldn't happen if there are attractions, stores, and restaurants on the path north of ROA.
Agreed. But, that would make it an expansion area, like they did at DLR for SWGE. TSI at MK is two islands, compared to the one at DLR. The second island has the fort, and that island would probably get reduced in size significantly, and the ROA boat ride reduced significantly, to accommodate an expansion area with attractions, food, shopping, etc.

A bridge to the second island, and then another across over to the HM area could make for a much shorter walk. But... then how does the paddle wheel get past the bridge?

pdude81

I hope this is more a solution to the issue than a removal of the issue.

DsfufGe.jpeg

JIMINYCR

No issue for me. When I'm at WDW, I know I'm in for 14 long days of walking distances, standing time and periods of waiting. There are times the legs and feet are feeling the stresses more but because thats the part of a Disney trip, I dont let it affect me. No matter which park youre choosing for the day, its going to be a lot of steps taken. Maybe getting some better quality footwear, using cushioned inserts, and plan on hitting TSI earlier in the day when youre not as tired could help?

RollerCoaster

Do you realize the walk you're complaining about is only 2/10ths of a mile? That's the distance between the entrance to Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder Mountain. That's less than a lap around a track.

Maybe you should consider making Disneyland your place to visit, instead of Magic Kingdom. It's much smaller.

You may also want to consider a scooter renter. It seems that half the visitors to Orlando parks already rent them and they're walking adverse. Scooters can also double as a locker affording you plenty of room for snacks. My personal choice several bags of chips (definitely Funyuns and Flamin' Hot Cheetos), a 2-liter Coke, and I usually stash a cheeseburger or two.

doctornick

I’m... intrigued.

If only. There’s a massive amount of space on the north side of RoA that could be used for substantial expansion. Not only more attractions, merch, food but just improving guest flow - especially during parades. They wouldn’t even really need to change the river or railroad like they did at DL, they could just put the expansion outside the berm.

The Splash/BTMRR area does feel like it has backtracking because it is a dead end. Allowing that to lead to more stuff and connect to HM would do wonders.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom