Pre-Trip Baby Does Disney - a PTR!

Hello Magicians!

I had not really planned on doing a PTR.. but the more I search and search the internet for advice related to taking a baby to Disney, the more I feel I need you all instead!

If you have not read any of my reports before, what are you waiting for?! Here are some gems from the past:

ptr 1.jpg

ptr 2.jpg

ptr 43.jpg

ptr 5.jpg

ptr 6.jpg

You know where to find them, go read!
Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

Anyways, here are some intros and key information!

When: February 3-11, 2023

Who: ME! Annie (mama, trip organizer, stress collector, etc.), my husband Ian, and our daughter Nora. This trip will be Nora's first! She will be 13 months old, she turns 1 on NYE :)

293560122_10221618568393608_8318958181272993589_n.jpg

Where: Polynesian! (we are SOOOOO excited about this. we both wanted Nora's first trip to be at the Poly, as that is where Ian's first stay was. Nora is also a total water baby so there will be lots of pool time!)

292941691_10221612598804372_5348845958243773329_n.jpg

(can you even?! 😍 )

Today during my down time at work I started making a list of rides and attractions that do not have height requirements. Seasoned parental professionals - can you chime in on whether or not you feel it would be good for her to do at that age?

Here is what I've got:

MK:

Dumbo

Flying Carpets

Peter Pan

Pirates

Winnie the Pooh

Small World

Little Mermaid

Buzz

Jungle Cruise

Laugh Floor

Teacups

PeopleMover

Country Bear Jamboree

Tiki Room

Haunted Mansion

Epcot:

Frozen Ever After

Spaceship Earth

Remy

Gran Fiesta Tour

Nemo

Living with the Land

Journey into Imagination

Hollywood Studios:

Mickey Minnie runaway railway (no height requirement but I'm nervous here?)

MuppetVision

Midway Mania

Beauty and the Beast stage show

Frozen sing along

Indiana Jones show

Animal Kingdom:

Festival of the Lion King

Tough to be a Bug

Kilimanjaro Safari

Na’vi River Journey

Triceratops spin

Give it to me straight - what is realistic?! Also, tips on rider swap.. please lol

Also, here are our current park reservation plans. I have not tackled dining yet because... that part with a baby gives me anxiety!

Feb 3 - Fly in, hotel time, pool, dinner at Poly probably
Feb 4 - MK
Feb 5 - AK
Feb 6 - pool day, rest, DS maybe
Feb 7 - HS
Feb 8 - Epcot
Feb 9 - pool day, rest, etc.
Feb 10 - MK
Feb 11 - sleep in, breakfast, home :(

Side note, Ian is a Department of Defense employee and got an amazing rate on our 5 day park hopper tickets!

I'm soooooo excited to take my baby to my favorite place in the world. Hoping to recreate this picture of baby me, without the tears!

baby moinnoie.jpg

meggo819

Mickey Minnie runaway railway (no height requirement but I'm nervous here?)
Understandable! I took my 5 yo and 2 yo on this and it was jerkier than I expected (particularly in the room dancing with Daisy). I think you’ll be fine, just be aware and make sure you’re holding onto her so she doesn’t hit the lap bar or anything!

It’s been a few years since I rode Remy in Paris, so I don’t remember if it was similar. But I would think the same precautions would be good there too, since it’s also trackless.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Oh my gosh but could Nora be any cuter?! And not that I want you to have a crying baby on the trip but I do think it would be a little funny if she does end up crying in a picture with Minnie 😉 (cute as she is in the above pictures, unless she is really overtired I don’t think you’ll have anything to worry about).

joshsprincess921

Nora is so stinkin' cute! I can't wait to hear about your trip.
I did not take my little until he was 5 so I can't give you much advice on attractions.
I will say I have yet to bring him into It's Tough to be a Bug. I know he will freak.
Depending on her attention span, some of the shows may be lengthy for her.
Also, not sure if the 3D for Remy and Muppets may be an issue?
Those were my first thoughts, but you know your baby. I would just let her guide you.
I've also seen other parents say trying to keep them on their normal schedule (naps, food, etc.) as much as possible helped.

Disneyfan_76

I've taken my kids since they were infants. Should be a great time since you aren't going when it is too hot. Pirates might be iffy depending on your kid. My kids loved it. Went with my 2 year old niece this last trip and it was not for her. Don't forget about the train in Animal Kingdom over to the Conservation Station/Petting zoo. I think Rafiki (M&G) is still over there and you are going to want that 'lion king' photo. I would not recommend the Indiana Jones show for an infant. Very loud, lots of fire and kind of long. For MK, at Carousel.
When they are that young they are still pretty portable, so it just depends on naps/feeding/generally being cranky. Just try not to overdo it.
You will find that you will probably spend a lot more time at shows or M&G than you are used to at past trips.

Spash007

How exciting! We took our son Liam first when he was 17 months, and stayed at Polynesian. It is a great resort for kids that age!

If you have one of the villa rooms with a second bathroom, the pack and play fits perfect in there and makes naps really easy.

He also loved MMRR, but the jerky motions were a bit much. We just kept our arm around him and he was fine. You’ll probably find you are noticing jerky motions on a lot of rides you never noticed before 😅. He also loved Haunted Mansion because he loved the song in the graveyard scene. Just expect the unexpected!

We were able to push bedtime a bit on some nights, but I don’t think he would have been able to push every night. We also had some late starts where we just did the pool in the morning (the kids play area is amazing!), let him nap and then went to the park in the early afternoon. For naps, if she will nap in the stroller, take full advantage of it. Our daughter is a great stroller napper, but our son would not do it, so just see how she does and work in the best way for naps.

Also, if she’s drinking milk at that time, it is incredibly hard to find milk in QS restaurants. The funny story I have is that my mom ran into an issue in the 80s with me finding milk in Epcot until Goofy came to cheer me up. 35 years later I ran into the same exact issue in Epcot. I highly recommend a cooler backpack and bringing in some milk and snacks.

For rider switch, the biggest problem we had was trying to find the right CM to go to. But this was August 2020 and lines were socially distanced and well into the extended queue. Some had the cast member for rider switch at the actual end of the line, some had them by the regular start. I don’t think you’ll have as much of an issue, but just look for the CM with the tablet and tell them you want to use rider switch and they’ll let you know what to do.

That was probably our favorite trip we took, because he was so amazed by everything. One last piece of advice is that depending on her mobility, find little areas to let her explore. Liam had a blast on the Dinoland paths and the gardens by Pinocchio’s in MK.

Sorry that was so long! Feel free to ask anything!

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
Game Show Yes GIF by ABC Network

For MMRR I think you’ll have a better idea of how she’ll do closer to the trip. Nora in Feb will be way different than the Nora of now. (Mostly in good ways but dang to do grow up fast 🥹)

Lil BES is 14 months old now and I think she’d love MMRR. She really enjoys being flipped and spun around and being pushed fast in her tiny push car or on swings etc but I’m not sure all kids like that at her age

cgersic

I was there a few months ago with my niece and her 14 month old. I agree with the comment if she is a stroller napper, it will make things a lot easier. If not, you're going to have a bit less time in the parks due to the loading and unloading of the stroller on transportation and napping in the room. We had some extra hands, so we all took something from the stroller and then my nephew would just go to the 2nd door on the bus and stand with it during the rides. Rider swap is actually really simple, but your whole party has to be together when you request it. They all seemed to have different processes, but it always begins with the CM at the ride umbrella at entrance. Definitely use it since it's a real timesaver since the 2nd rider gets to go in the LL line on their ride. Relax, enjoy the ride and I cannot wait to see the photos!!

Disneyfan_76

That was probably our favorite trip we took, because he was so amazed by everything. One last piece of advice is that depending on her mobility, find little areas to let her explore. Liam had a blast on the Dinoland paths and the gardens by Pinocchio’s in MK.

I will second this as well. Your child seems a little young so I was not sure on mobility, however, keep this in mind for future trips. We took my daughter to Disneyland in CA when she was just short of two. Tom Sawyer Island dirt was apparently way better than anything Imagineering could come up with.
Also, there are play areas in EPCOT that you may want to check out. There is also a climbing/play area in mission space that most people forget about (for next trip use).

annienevells

Original Poster
Just had to say that Nora is so adorable in the beach photo. Looking forward to seeing pics and hearing all about your magical adventures as a family at WDW next year.
Thank you!! I might be a little biased, but I think she's pretty cute! :inlove:
Understandable! I took my 5 yo and 2 yo on this and it was jerkier than I expected (particularly in the room dancing with Daisy). I think you’ll be fine, just be aware and make sure you’re holding onto her so she doesn’t hit the lap bar or anything!

It’s been a few years since I rode Remy in Paris, so I don’t remember if it was similar. But I would think the same precautions would be good there too, since it’s also trackless.
Good to know! I'm excited about Remy, so hopefully it's not too bad!
Oh my gosh but could Nora be any cuter?! And not that I want you to have a crying baby on the trip but I do think it would be a little funny if she does end up crying in a picture with Minnie 😉 (cute as she is in the above pictures, unless she is really overtired I don’t think you’ll have anything to worry about).
To be honest.. I wouldn't mind an exact recreation either 😆
I read your last TR! Its very exciting to see Nora will be joining you guys on this trip :D
Welcome back!! Should make for a WHOLE new adventure with baby on board!
Yay! I love hearing about and seeing pictures of first trips with little ones! I can't wait to see how much Nora enjoys it!
Fingers crossed she becomes a Disney lover like her parents!
Nora is so stinkin' cute! I can't wait to hear about your trip.
I did not take my little until he was 5 so I can't give you much advice on attractions.
I will say I have yet to bring him into It's Tough to be a Bug. I know he will freak.
Depending on her attention span, some of the shows may be lengthy for her.
Also, not sure if the 3D for Remy and Muppets may be an issue?
Those were my first thoughts, but you know your baby. I would just let her guide you.
I've also seen other parents say trying to keep them on their normal schedule (naps, food, etc.) as much as possible helped.
I remember being 5 or 6 and being TERRIFIED of ITTBAB! I just figured with her being so little she might just enjoy watching all sights and sounds (and smells 😆)
I've taken my kids since they were infants. Should be a great time since you aren't going when it is too hot. Pirates might be iffy depending on your kid. My kids loved it. Went with my 2 year old niece this last trip and it was not for her. Don't forget about the train in Animal Kingdom over to the Conservation Station/Petting zoo. I think Rafiki (M&G) is still over there and you are going to want that 'lion king' photo. I would not recommend the Indiana Jones show for an infant. Very loud, lots of fire and kind of long. For MK, at Carousel.
When they are that young they are still pretty portable, so it just depends on naps/feeding/generally being cranky. Just try not to overdo it.
You will find that you will probably spend a lot more time at shows or M&G than you are used to at past trips.
We have a LOT of relaxation time planned and expected! One of the main reasons we sprung for the Poly. Close to do lots of naps and trying our best to stay on her schedule! Good tip for AK!
How exciting! We took our son Liam first when he was 17 months, and stayed at Polynesian. It is a great resort for kids that age!

If you have one of the villa rooms with a second bathroom, the pack and play fits perfect in there and makes naps really easy.

He also loved MMRR, but the jerky motions were a bit much. We just kept our arm around him and he was fine. You’ll probably find you are noticing jerky motions on a lot of rides you never noticed before 😅. He also loved Haunted Mansion because he loved the song in the graveyard scene. Just expect the unexpected!

We were able to push bedtime a bit on some nights, but I don’t think he would have been able to push every night. We also had some late starts where we just did the pool in the morning (the kids play area is amazing!), let him nap and then went to the park in the early afternoon. For naps, if she will nap in the stroller, take full advantage of it. Our daughter is a great stroller napper, but our son would not do it, so just see how she does and work in the best way for naps.

Also, if she’s drinking milk at that time, it is incredibly hard to find milk in QS restaurants. The funny story I have is that my mom ran into an issue in the 80s with me finding milk in Epcot until Goofy came to cheer me up. 35 years later I ran into the same exact issue in Epcot. I highly recommend a cooler backpack and bringing in some milk and snacks.

For rider switch, the biggest problem we had was trying to find the right CM to go to. But this was August 2020 and lines were socially distanced and well into the extended queue. Some had the cast member for rider switch at the actual end of the line, some had them by the regular start. I don’t think you’ll have as much of an issue, but just look for the CM with the tablet and tell them you want to use rider switch and they’ll let you know what to do.

Sorry that was so long! Feel free to ask anything!
Thank you for all the tips, super helpful!!

I am excited about the second bathroom to set up the pack and play. Nora sleeps from 530 pm - 630 am so it will be nice for mom and dad to be able to stay up while she sleeps 😅
Game Show Yes GIF by ABC Network

For MMRR I think you’ll have a better idea of how she’ll do closer to the trip. Nora in Feb will be way different than the Nora of now. (Mostly in good ways but dang to do grow up fast 🥹)

Lil BES is 14 months old now and I think she’d love MMRR. She really enjoys being flipped and spun around and being pushed fast in her tiny push car or on swings etc but I’m not sure all kids like that at her age
Nora is already like that, loves being thrown around 😅 but you are so right, who knows what she will be like at 13 months, she just turned 8 months today!
I was there a few months ago with my niece and her 14 month old. I agree with the comment if she is a stroller napper, it will make things a lot easier. If not, you're going to have a bit less time in the parks due to the loading and unloading of the stroller on transportation and napping in the room. We had some extra hands, so we all took something from the stroller and then my nephew would just go to the 2nd door on the bus and stand with it during the rides. Rider swap is actually really simple, but your whole party has to be together when you request it. They all seemed to have different processes, but it always begins with the CM at the ride umbrella at entrance. Definitely use it since it's a real timesaver since the 2nd rider gets to go in the LL line on their ride. Relax, enjoy the ride and I cannot wait to see the photos!!
at the moment she is a good stroller napper - fingers crossed it stays that way!
Looking forward to this!

giphy.gif
Excited The Child GIF by Disney+

Hell Yeah Yes GIF

I will second this as well. Your child seems a little young so I was not sure on mobility, however, keep this in mind for future trips. We took my daughter to Disneyland in CA when she was just short of two. Tom Sawyer Island dirt was apparently way better than anything Imagineering could come up with.
Also, there are play areas in EPCOT that you may want to check out. There is also a climbing/play area in mission space that most people forget about (for next trip use).
good tip, thank you!!

Thanks everyone for chiming in, I appreciate it more than you know. It can be a little stressful knowing that WDW is our favorite place and this is going to be a VERY different kind of trip. But.. I said that before our babymoon trip when I was pregnant and it ended up being our favorite trip thus far!

I probably won't have much by way of updates for a bit, but stay tuned!!

Also - Miss Nora Bea is 8 months old today :)

8m.jpg
8,m.jpg

k8einwdw

I'm so late to the party, but I'm here! Nora is SO cute! 😍

Lincoln was just under a year old on our last trip, so not quite as old as Nora will be on your trip, but I'll give my two cents. For rides, don't expect to get as much done in a day as you did pre-Nora. As I'm sure you're well aware by now, everything takes longer with a baby. At 13 months, she'll be off the bottle, but she'll be eating three meals and two snacks a day. We did L's snacks in the stroller on our trip so we didn't have to stop somewhere so he could eat, but meals take a lot longer now. She'll be down to either one or two naps a day by that point, and if she's able to nap in the stroller, that's a great opportunity to use rider swap on a bigger ride, or grab an adult beverage.

Speaking of rider swap, it's great, BUT it is time-consuming. When you want to use rider swap, all three of you will need to go to the entrance of the ride so they can see that you have a little one who can't ride, and let them know you want to use rider swap. A CM will scan the band of the person riding second, and the first person will wait in the standby line. When they come out, the second person can ride via the Lightning Lane line. I'd plan to prioritize 1 or 2 rides a day for rider swap. Any more than that, and it'll take up your whole day.

I know people love to hate on Genie+, and believe me, I don't like paying for it, but I think it's essential with a baby/toddler. By 13 months, she'll be mobile in one way or another, and she won't want to be held in line for ages.

As far as the specific attractions you asked about - L has done MMRR and Ratatouille twice. He wasn't a fan of either at six months, but he enjoyed them a lot more this past trip. They're both a little jerky, so just make sure you have a tight grip on her. He was also fine on Pirates, again, just make sure you have a tight grip during the drop. It's a scientific fact that all babies and toddlers love It's a Small World, so be sure to take her on that one. We haven't attempted shows with L yet, because we just didn't think he'd have the patience for them yet. I'd probably try an outdoor show like Beauty and the Beast first, so you can make a break for it easily if she starts losing patience.

Okay last thing, I promise... If you plan on doing dinner reservations, do them earlier than you would usually eat. We eat dinner around 6:00-6:30 at home, but we book our Disney dinners around 5:00-5:30. It just takes longer eating at a table service restaurant, and then you have to account for travel time back to your resort to get ready for bedtime. We've tried to keep L on his same bedtime routine/schedule on our trips thus far, but I know people who have let their littles stay out past their bedtime and been fine.

All that said, I think you'll have a lot of fun! Even if you only do 2-3 rides a day, she'll be fascinated by everything, and seeing her reactions to your favorite rides/characters is priceless!

k8einwdw

I lied, two more things.

Horizon sells whole milk in boxes that don't need to be refrigerated. I'd plan on ordering some via Instacart/Amazon Prime and tossing some in the stroller. Also, you can always find whole milk at Starbucks, but who wants to pay Starbucks prices for whole milk? Not me lol.

Also, Baby Care Centers! Know where they are, and use them! They have changing tables with liners that get changed out after every person, so much more sanitary than changing her in a restroom. The Baby Care Centers are usually located right next to First Aid. In MK, it's on Main Street, next to Crystal Palace. In Epcot, it's in the Odyssey Building, on the side closest to Mexico (they really need a second one in Epcot, but I digress). In HS, it's at the very front of the park, and you enter via Guest Services. In AK, it's next to Starbucks. No baby care center in DS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom