Avengers Endgame Spoiler Discussion

Cosmic Commando

I know it's popular to hate on Avatar, but you have to give it credit... to do what it did as an original IP is really, really impressive. The fact that Endgame might not even catch up to it as the euphoric finale to a 22 film series featuring some of the most popular characters in the world is pretty crazy. Even if Endgame does catch up to the $2.78B, it probably won't sell more tickets than Avatar did.

Tony Perkis

I know it's popular to hate on Avatar, but you have to give it credit... to do what it did as an original IP is really, really impressive. The fact that Endgame might not even catch up to it as the euphoric finale to a 22 film series featuring some of the most popular characters in the world is pretty crazy. Even if Endgame does catch up to the $2.78B, it probably won't sell more tickets than Avatar did.
It’s possible to acknowledge the impressiveness of its box office performance, even while hating the film on its own.

That movie is the definition of catching lightening in a bottle. The perfect timing of the outbreak of 3D.

Cosmic Commando

It’s possible to acknowledge the impressiveness of its box office performance, even while hating the film on its own.

That movie is the definition of catching lightening in a bottle. The perfect timing of the outbreak of 3D.
Yeah, but just calling it "lightning in a bottle" is really underselling it IMO. It beat the old record-holder by ~25% and nobody else has even come close until now. Audiences were really eating it up back in 2009/10.

Cosmic Commando

Per Box Office Mojo, Avatar spent a total of 34 weeks in theaters. Avengers: Endgame is biting at its heals in less than a month.
I think Endgame will get past Avatar, but I'm just saying it's impressive that Avatar's record has held up as well as it has. When you start dividing box office totals by half every weekend for Endgame, it gets hard to put more money in the bank. Expecting substantial box office for Endgame in July (absent some extra footage or fan campaign to get it over the hump) is misguided IMO.

Tony Perkis

I think Endgame will get past Avatar, but I'm just saying it's impressive that Avatar's record has held up as well as it has. When you start dividing box office totals by half every weekend for Endgame, it gets hard to put more money in the bank. Expecting substantial box office for Endgame in July (absent some extra footage or fan campaign to get it over the hump) is misguided IMO.
Bingo. The minimal weekly dropoffs are why it’s as impressive as it is. Titanic was the exact same way.

Tom P.

Yeah, but just calling it "lightning in a bottle" is really underselling it IMO. It beat the old record-holder by ~25% and nobody else has even come close until now. Audiences were really eating it up back in 2009/10.
I like to say -- and I stole this from someone else -- that Avatar is the most successful film in history that absolutely nobody cares about.

You're right. In 2009/2010, audiences flocked to see it and there is no denying the box office success. With all the super-mega blockbusters that have been released since, it has taken ten years for a film to come close to touching its record.

However, it just doesn't seem to have the emotional resonance with people that other record breaking films do. I just don't think it is a franchise that will have staying power. Maybe I'm wrong. But I fear that Disney/Fox is in for a major disappointment when they start releasing sequels.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I like to say -- and I stole this from someone else -- that Avatar is the most successful film in history that absolutely nobody cares about.

You're right. In 2009/2010, audiences flocked to see it and there is no denying the box office success. With all the super-mega blockbusters that have been released since, it has taken ten years for a film to come close to touching its record.

However, it just doesn't seem to have the emotional resonance with people that other record breaking films do. I just don't think it is a franchise that will have staying power. Maybe I'm wrong. But I fear that Disney/Fox is in for a major disappointment when they start releasing sequels.

Because avatar was about a break through in movie tech and experience. It’s not because everyone really wanted to see ferngully again. The story was only ok... it was the “epic” element that was the big demand.

That wears off with the March of progress.

erasure fan1

Maybe I'm wrong. But I fear that Disney/Fox is in for a major disappointment when they start releasing sequels.
I'd say you are right. Avatar 2 I think will do well as I can see people wanting to see what it is all about after all these years. After that I wouldn't be shocked if the 3rd movie does poor enough for them to cancel 4 and 5 in the theaters and maybe just conclude the series on Disney+ or something like that.

Mike S

*Looks over at Avatar Land*

Tom P.

*Looks over at Avatar Land*
You make a good point. Pandora is certainly popular. But I wonder how many people are going to Pandora because they are fans of Avatar and interested in that specific storyline vs. how many people are going because it's a cool land with cutting edge technology, good attractions, and really cool theming in a theme park at Walt Disney World where they are vacationing.

Put it another way: I guarantee you that people will be flocking to WDW to see Galaxy's Edge who would not have otherwise been planning a trip because they love Star Wars. If Disney was legally able to open a Marvel land at WDW, I think people would plan trips around it too. How many people are booking a WDW vacation specifically to see Pandora because they love Avatar? I could be wrong, but I suspect it's a low number.

MouseMelly

You make a good point. Pandora is certainly popular. But I wonder how many people are going to Pandora because they are fans of Avatar and interested in that specific storyline vs. how many people are going because it's a cool land with cutting edge technology, good attractions, and really cool theming in a theme park at Walt Disney World where they are vacationing.

Put it another way: I guarantee you that people will be flocking to WDW to see Galaxy's Edge who would not have otherwise been planning a trip because they love Star Wars. If Disney was legally able to open a Marvel land at WDW, I think people would plan trips around it too. How many people are booking a WDW vacation specifically to see Pandora because they love Avatar? I could be wrong, but I suspect it's a low number.
I’ve never even seen the movie. But FOP is one of the coolest rides I’ve ever experienced.

doctornick

Because avatar was about a break through in movie tech and experience. It’s not because everyone really wanted to see ferngully again. The story was only ok... it was the “epic” element that was the big demand.

That wears off with the March of progress.

Honestly, I think an interesting comp is Snow White. It was a technical marvel at the time. But watching it now, you can appreciate the nostalgia but animation has progressed so far in the interim that it isn't as captivating as it once once.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
61253588_10157323075083464_1409479885679755264_n.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom