Avengers Endgame Spoiler Discussion

Darkprime

I’m thrilled Disney doesn’t have the Spider-Man rights.

We wouldn’t have Spiderverse, which is far and away, without peer, the best Spider-Man film.

I honestly feel like Spiderverse was a fluke tbh given that everything that came from Spider-Man 3 and onwards has pretty much sucked. Disney need to get the full rights back.

Tony Perkis

I honestly feel like Spiderverse was a fluke tbh given that everything that came from Spider-Man 3 and onwards has pretty much sucked. Disney need to get the full rights back.
It doesn’t matter if it’s a fluke or not.

That movie doesn’t get made in the hands of Disney. And a major superhero being given such an ambitious film, on both a story and animation level, is a rarity that when it truly succeeds, it has to be acknowledged.

Additionally, calling a film a fluke when it had such a creative writing and directing team behind it is insulting to their work.

Last edited:

Darkprime

It doesn’t matter if it’s a fluke or not.

That movie doesn’t get made in the hands of Disney. And a major superhero hero being given such an ambitious film, on both a story and animation level, is a rarity that when it truly succeeds, it has to be acknowledged.

Additionally, calling a film a fluke when it had such a creative writing and directing team behind it is insulting to their work.

Id rather have Disney get the full rights back even if it meant not having Spiderverse. Its really not that good. And is way overhyped.

Tony Perkis

Id rather have Disney get the full rights back even if it meant not having Spiderverse. Its really not that good. And is way overhyped.

I’d rather the series be in the hands of filmmakers allowed to experiment and make more creatively ambitious films than they would be at Disney, and the current licensing arrangements allows for this.

Homecoming is a fine film, and I think Holland is great in the role, but it’s not exactly breaking any new ground. It tells a generally familiar story well and it has an incredibly average visual style (a complaint about Marvel films in general except for maybe 5-6 out of 22).

Your thoughts on Spiderverse aside, and I cannot disagree with them more strongly, it cannot be denied it told an ambitious and unique story using an equally ambitious animation style.

In a genre where true innovation is very few and far between, it is not worth sacrificing a very clear example when it does come around.

Last edited:

bclane

The Tom Holland stuff has been fantastic. But other than that and Into the Spiderverse I think Disney could have done a much better job with the character. jmo.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’d rather the series be in the hands of filmmakers allowed to experiment and make more creatively ambitious films than they would be at Disney, and the current licensing arrangements allows for this.

Homecoming is a fine film, and I think Holland is great in the role, but it’s not exactly breaking any new ground. It tells a generally familiar story well and it has an incredibly average visual style (a complaint about Marvel films in general except for maybe 5-6 out of 22).

Your thoughts on Spiderverse aside, and I cannot disagree with them more strongly, it cannot be denied it told an ambitious and unique story using an equally ambitious animation style.

In a genre where true innovation is very few and far between, it is not worth sacrificing a very clear example when it does come around.

Setting Into the Spider-Verse aside, I think Sony has done a poor job with Spider-Man over the last decade. And Sony knows it, its why they inked the deal with Disney/Marvel in the first place.

As for Homecoming not breaking new ground, well that is to be expected. We've seen the origin story of Spidey now several times. So when they forewent retelling a lot of elements of his origin story I thought it was good. We don't need a recap of those things, like Uncle Ben dying and such. But it was a story that needed to be told to get the character established and differentiate it from the other two series. Far From Home will be the telling factor on if a Marvel produced Spidey film breaks any new ground or not.

Had Marvel (Disney) had the rights to begin with there is no telling what kind of story we'd get. And no telling if we'd be on a third reboot of the character or not, I'd like to think not. When you have the properties in the hands of the creators they tend to do better with it than some other company.

The only reason why I think Into the Spider-Verse was any good is because Avi was producing. As former head of Marvel (pre-Disney) he has a love for the characters that others wouldn't. Had it been in the hands of another, maybe it wouldn't have looked and felt like a comic book come to life. So thank Avi, not Sony for Into the Spider-Verse.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Presumably Sony put him in charge of the movie, so this is a really circuitous argument.
Not really cause had Sony put someone else in charge it would have likely turned out different. So if you want to thank Sony for anything its knowing they didn't know what they were doing with Spidey and decided to put someone in charge who actually did, and get out their way.

Tony Perkis

Setting Into the Spider-Verse aside, I think Sony has done a poor job with Spider-Man over the last decade. And Sony knows it, its why they inked the deal with Disney/Marvel in the first place.

As for Homecoming not breaking new ground, well that is to be expected. We've seen the origin story of Spidey now several times. So when they forewent retelling a lot of elements of his origin story I thought it was good. We don't need a recap of those things, like Uncle Ben dying and such. But it was a story that needed to be told to get the character established and differentiate it from the other two series. Far From Home will be the telling factor on if a Marvel produced Spidey film breaks any new ground or not.

Had Marvel (Disney) had the rights to begin with there is no telling what kind of story we'd get. And no telling if we'd be on a third reboot of the character or not, I'd like to think not. When you have the properties in the hands of the creators they tend to do better with it than some other company.

The only reason why I think Into the Spider-Verse was any good is because Avi was producing. As former head of Marvel (pre-Disney) he has a love for the characters that others wouldn't. Had it been in the hands of another, maybe it wouldn't have looked and felt like a comic book come to life. So thank Avi, not Sony for Into the Spider-Verse.

Phil Lord, and to a lesser extent Chris Miller, are the big reasons Spiderverse is so good.

seascape

Sony is going all in on Spiderman. Spiderman movies produced by Marvel, Spiderverce animated movies and now television shows. And to think some of the members here that think the Spiderman rights and existing and future television shows are not worth 5 billion dollars. I think it's important to Marvel to get the last movie and television rights to Marvel Characters back.

Use the 13.5 billion from the sale of the RSNs to buy Comcast's share of Hulu and whatever rights they still have to Marvel characters for movie and Television, excluding themepark rights, buy the all the rights and existing movies and television show that Sony currently own and then pay down debt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom