Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Not even close
Fantasyland has all type of different characters from different regions and places around the world, yet they all hang out in a medieval village? Including Peter Pan? At least Avenger's Campus, as lame as I will agree it is, has all the MCU heroes in a campus setting. I do have issues with no where on this campus is there anything that resembles super hero training. One can just call it spider man land. but all the characters belong there thematically. Mr. Toad and Peter Pan hanging out in a medieval village makes no sense story wise other than "FANTASY" being in the name of the land nor does it make sense theme wise even though I love Fantasyland.

waltography

I think it’s pretty cheesy to have every popular Marvel super hero out at the same time scattered throughout that tiny land with no cohesive theme.
They're not out at the same time; usually there's no more than two or three out at the same time, which granted is still a lot more per square foot than you'd find in other parts of the resort.

GE doesn't need more characters, it needs more streetmosphere, like the BVS citizens (who miraculously still exist all these years later, thank goodness).

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Yeah, it’s pretty weird that a bunch of unrelated cartoon characters led by a six foot tall rodent parade down an early 20th century street to pop music. But we like it.
I like it too. I love it as a matter of fact. But to say having the avenger characters in avenger's campus not make sense is disingenuous, even though I will concede the land as a whole is really lack luster.

DanielBB8

"If you're curious about where and when Avengers Campus takes place in the MCU timeline, Walt Disney Imagineering's creative director, Brent Strong, recently shared that the attraction is always taking place in the here and now."

The quote in the article is "And so trying to put a specific date to it, it can be challenging, but to us, Avengers Campus is here and now, right, we get to live in the moment and these heroes are here with us and you're taking part in that story.” and the article is dated June 2, 2021.

So all that discussion about pre-snap timeline and multiverse timeline is thrown out or superseded?

In the article "Comicbook.com’s Jamie Jirak spoke to the creative director of Walt Disney Imagineering about this very idea. Brent Strong acknowledges that the timeline is a bit wonky as of right now in the MCU. Avengers: Endgame left things in a very fluid state."

It's not ironed out so why are they still trying to explain it? They are only getting people more confused. Just stop. It's an Avengers Land. That's all you need to know.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I think it’s pretty cheesy to have every popular Marvel super hero out at the same time scattered throughout that tiny land with no cohesive theme.
The theme is Marvel, so... 🤷‍♂️

It works great for me and the folks I see there who literally shriek with delight at every character sighting. I've already spent a lot of hours just sitting in the land people-watching between my own character visits and I can't sit for five minutes without some person realizing OMG LOOK Captain Marvel is up by the Quinjet or Iron Man is greeting by Avengers HQ with Captain America (Sam or Steve) patrolling above or Ant-Man is out by the S.H.I.E.L.D. vehicle or Thor is over near the Sanctum or Doctor Strange is doing a magic show or Spider-Man is climbing around above Web Slingers and each and every one of them has people shouting and excited to have the characters present.

If characters aren't your thing, cool. Thrills rides aren't mine so I could care less about any coaster, but give me a land full of characters I love and I'm in heaven. :)

SSG

So I got a look at AC last week. Some thoughts.

The Look: The pictures showed a land themed to a 2nd tier community college and the reality wasn't any different. This was so bland and dull to see I could hardly believe it. Not one structure that grabbed your interest and made you want to go inside. Plus the hideous Collector's Tower looming over everything. What a miss.

Atmosphere: This is driven by the characters, and there were plenty around. They did a decent job of engaging with the guests from up on the catwalk. There is a good variety with the walkarounds and the show characters. The shows themselves were well executed and fun to see. The Spider Man AA is very impressive. I can't wait for Disney to get similar AAs in other areas of the park. There is a lot they can do with this.

Food. Didn't bother with Pym's. We did have the Shawarma, which was pretty good. We got beers at the bar. Standard stuff.

Small Stuff: There are some Easter Eggs, which were fun. Things like Agent Carter's parking space or a map of the complex from the 40's, showing the Stark Vineyards where wine country is now or Mater's being listed as a scrapyard were nice touches. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Web Slingers: LOL. ? Uninspired doesn't come close.

Overall: This was a miss for me. The land is boring looking and Web Slingers did nothing for me. Good shows and lots of characters were pluses. Guardians is still great fun though. The future Marvel E-Ticket needs to be something special to make this land a winner.

One other thing: even though this land wasn't for me (and, I think, for many posting here,) I quickly realized that I am not the target here. My niece and nephew (16 and 19, and Marvel crazy) and the younger kids of cousins all loved this area. Loved the characters and shows and thought Web Slingers was a blast. This is who Disney are going after and I have to say they are hitting the intended target.

Last edited:

J4546

yeah, I think alot of people here criticize AC but they arent really the target audience. kids seem to love it a lot. I also think its pretty cool and enjoy Web-Slingers quite a bit.

mickEblu

They could have made something that adults and kids enjoy. Which was kind of the purpose of Disneyland. They could also make it look more inspiring which wouldn’t stop anyone from enjoying it.

In the 70s they built a beautiful facade for Space Mountain. Today it would be in a huge blue box and they would theme it to be a “NASA testing facility” in a warehouse.

Californian Elitist

yeah, I think alot of people here criticize AC but they arent really the target audience. kids seem to love it a lot. I also think its pretty cool and enjoy Web-Slingers quite a bit.
The target audience should be everyone. Disney should be designing things that speak to pretty much anyone.

No excuses, Avengers Campus is not up to par. Kids love anything. A specific target audience has nothing to do with why people aren’t liking AC.

J4546

meh, I enjoy it. I love GotG, thats a great ride. All the character shows are great, the food at Pyms is good. I dont drink so i dont know about the drinks. And I think WS is a solid mid tier darkride.... I mean, they just build Star Wars land 2 years before with 2 e tickets and a bunch of stores and stuff.....Not everything they build is going to be on GE level.

Californian Elitist

meh, I enjoy it. I love GotG, thats a great ride. All the character shows are great, the food at Pyms is good. I dont drink so i dont know about the drinks. And I think WS is a solid mid tier darkride.... I mean, they just build Star Wars land 2 years before with 2 e tickets and a bunch of stores and stuff.....Not everything they build is going to be on GE level.
We know you enjoy it. That’s fine. No one is saying you can’t enjoy it. But it’s the excuses you keep making for its mediocrity that have no weight. There is no target audience, for example. Also, when GE was built has nothing to do with the mediocrity here either.

J4546

i just dont think its mediocre, i think it cool. But I also get that the people on this site love to complain about everything. Kinda like a foxnews comments section

Californian Elitist

i just dont think its mediocre, i think it cool. But I also get that the people on this site love to complain about everything. Kinda like a foxnews comments section
No, we just have certain expectations and standards that you don’t have. I get that you don’t and enjoy pretty much anything Disney puts out.

No reason to bring politics into this.

Californian Elitist

Exactly. I'd also argue more kids enjoyed and had a lot more to do in Bugs Land than Avenger's Campus. Not even a fan of Bugs Land but it was great for little kids.
Bug’s land was one of my favorite areas, and I passed the age of 7 decades ago. The thing with bug’s land was that it wasn’t trying to be something it wasn’t. No gimmicks, nothing to try and make it seem like it was trying to accomplish something when it actually wasn’t, unlike Avengers Campus. It was simple and the aesthetics were nice.

J4546

thats cool. I like Star Wars land, I like Avengers Campus, I like MMRR, and I like the updates to Snow White darkride. I cant think of anything recently that I dislike too much.... I guess im not a big fan of harmonious (just by the way it sits out on the lagoon permanantly) or toy story land in DHS. But everything else in the last couple years Im pretty on board with.

I also really like all the concrete/paving/pathway work theyre doing at all the parks.

J4546

I have to agree, I was 11 when Bugs Land opened and was beyond its target audience. But it was a kids land based on a kids movie. No promises of immersion or becoming your own inner bug. Meanwhile I hear endless radio ads about being a recruit to train to be a super hero at avengers campus.

If Disney wants to go cheap it's fine, but dont pretend a clone of a 5 year old lego land ride is "immersion".
I think Web-Slingers is a great mid-tier darkride, in a park that needs more mid level dark rides. Not everything disney builds is gonna be indiana jones. I dont know what people expect with Web-Slingers given how small a space they had to work with, it was never gonna be a massive e-ticket. Hopefully they will announce phase 2 sooner than later and will give us something on an Indy level for the lands anchor attraction, but right now AC has 1 mid level dark ride and 1 e-ticket drop ride, and I think theyre both pretty swell.

UNCgolf

I think Web-Slingers is a great mid-tier darkride, in a park that needs more mid level dark rides. Not everything disney builds is gonna be indiana jones. I dont know what people expect with Web-Slingers given how small a space they had to work with, it was never gonna be a massive e-ticket. Hopefully they will announce phase 2 sooner than later and will give us something on an Indy level for the lands anchor attraction, but right now AC has 1 mid level dark ride and 1 e-ticket drop ride, and I think theyre both pretty swell.

I'm not sure I'd call a screen-based shooter a dark ride, but maybe it qualifies.

I wish they'd built an actual dark ride full of cool sets and AAs -- I find all the shooter attractions incredibly boring, though, and I know other people love them.

truecoat

In the 70s they built a beautiful facade for Space Mountain. Today it would be in a huge blue box and they would theme it to be a “NASA testing facility” in a warehouse.

That's funny because I saw this on Twitter today, if Space Mountain were built today...

space mountain.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom