Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

DavidDL

I suppose so, if that's how you want to see it. It will still be mostly based on what happens in the films.

"Inspired by", absolutely. 100%.

To be fair though, I don't think Disney has said as much about what time line or multiverse this is supposed to be in, this is all coming from fans asking questions about it's place in the overarching story. People ARE overthinking this, and if they applied that same level of thought you'd start to wonder if Main Street exists in a universe where Lincoln is still president.

I mean, they have because the blurb in the first bit of my previous response is Disney's official synopsis for the areas at large. Heck, even Kevin Fiege touched on it during the opening ceremony. They didn't have to say anything, but they did. -and they probably did because of how interwoven fans of the MCU expect everything to be. But it's pretty clear this land isn't woven into the "main MCU", at all. It's just an alternate universe "heavily inspired" by it. Kind of like if there were another universe out there where the only difference between the two is me having blue eyes instead of grey.

el_super

But it's pretty clear this land isn't woven into the "main MCU", at all. It's just an alternate universe "heavily inspired" by it. Kind of like if there were another universe out there where the only difference between the two is me having blue eyes instead of grey.

You're stretching this beyond having any meaning: It's still tied to the main MCU. The characters it contains are from the main MCU. They're still telling stories from the main MCU (including LOKI happening now). That they are basically refusing to tell some stories doesn't make it an entirely different timeline with a different set of linear points. It's all basically the same thing as the MCU.

DavidDL

You're stretching this beyond having any meaning: It's still tied to the main MCU. The characters it contains are from the main MCU. They're still telling stories from the main MCU (including LOKI happening now). That they are basically refusing to tell some stories doesn't make it an entirely different timeline with a different set of linear points. It's all basically the same thing as the MCU.

Look, I literally gave you an explanation from Disney themselves about how they say this land works. They've officially come out and said that it is, in fact, an alternate universe "inspired" by the MCU but not at all the MCU. It is the "Marvel Theme Park Universe" and it exists separate from the MCU. Is it being pretty much an exact copy/paste of characters from the MCU super convenient? Absolutely.

But we know why. The reason for the similarities between them is so Disney can cash-in and do whatever they want without having to worry about upsetting the other universe established in other media.

I can only lead you to water and I can't make you drink it. Here is literal proof of Disney's intended direction with this land:

..."So the Avengers and all of us, the guests, we're recruits. We're here to just have eyes on the prize there. I think that you'll find that these events are really happening. It's really happening," Dan Fields, Executive Creative Director, Disney Parks Live Entertainment, said during an Avengers Campus preview attended by ComicBook.com. "This campus exists in the real world, and therefore, those heroes are here and keep an eye on us, keep us all safe. There's no apocalyptic snap happening in this campus."

Fields confirmed Thanos never wiped out half of all living beings in this version of events, inspired by but not canon with the Marvel Cinematic Universe the way Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is set within the Star Wars film universe.

"As I mentioned, there's no snap. What I mean by that is we want there to be some conflict, but we don't want anyone to feel that there's an apocalyptic threat to the end of humanity," Fields said. "Our friends in the studio do a great job with that. So we want the conflict to be a little more accessible to the daily guests here."...

..."The lovely thing about the comic books and the films is that between them we've seen a million different versions of the multiverse, a million different versions of these characters."...

..."clearly we live in a version of the multiverse where there are some characters who did not sacrifice themselves for us. They are alive and well and now welcome you to it."...

I do not know more much more clear Disney can be. But hey, if these discussions have taught me anything, it's that you're free to live in your own, alternate reality.

Last edited:

el_super

I do not know more much more clear Disney can be. But hey, if these discussions have taught me anything, it's that you're free to live in your own, alternate reality.

You have completely missed the point. "Marvel Theme Park Universe" isn't something Disney said at all. Disney isn't claiming that this belongs in one universe or another, any more than it's claiming that Pirates exists in a separate "Pirates of the Caribbean" universe that somehow exists between the movies and the original ride.

The stretch here is assuming it has to exist in any kind of universe at all. It doesn't. It just is.

DavidDL

Disney isn't claiming that this belongs in one universe or another ...

... The stretch here is assuming it has to exist in any kind of universe at all. It doesn't. It just is.

"Jillian Pagan, a staff writer with Walt Disney Imagineering, says that these parks take place in a different timeline within the multiverse, something that comic books set the precedence for and that the movies have made explicitly clear can happen."

😐

D.Silentu

This Imagineering timeline reasoning has been so often repeated around here that I'm starting to feel I'm obligated to take a drink every time it comes up!

Nirya

6B2F6B78-1CD6-4F3F-8A10-6E1F7AE4DF2A.png
Guess I get to legitimately criticize the land now.

DavidDL

So far my experience with Avengers Campus has been: get in line for Spider-Man Mania, it breaks down immediately so we leave. See Thor standing on a park bench. Wait in line to order Shawarma, be told they are only taking cash and get turned away. -and now waiting an hour+ to order at Pym Test Kitchen because they only built one cash register.

Update: Overworked cashier got our order wrong so they had to look for a lead to try and correct the payment on our credit card. No one knew where they were so they went on a hunt for another 10 to 15 minutes. Finally got the payment issue corrected and now our food is cold. :)

Update again: Parks are closed, got lucky and managed to hop on Spider-Man Mania just before closing, right as the ride was reopening. Just happen to be in the right place at the right time. Full review to come.. whenever.

Last edited:

waltography

View attachment 564850

Pym Test Kitchen has one cash register. Not “one staffed”. One. Who on Earth thought that was a good idea?
The stanchions are new, but that one cash register isn't. When I went they had three open cashiers (one on register, two on iPads on either side). I assumed the setup would normally be similar to Smokejumpers but due to social distancing it hadn't happened yet (at least when I went); now that that's gone this seems to be just terrible crowd management.

They're basically now running the food locations here like FastPass with separate lines for Mobile Order and standby. Ugh.

J4546

i can see mobile order being the main way to order food becoming the norm for a lot of places in the near future. I oike it, but still needs to get dialed in. Sorry you had to wait in line at Pyms, def mobile order next time

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom