Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

el_super

I just skimmed through half this thread and just ... wow. It's so disappointing that people can dedicate so much time to talking about Disney parks and miss the concept entirely.

But I don't really disagree. We've know what this was for at least a year now. I think it would help if people compared their thoughts to this ride to TSM and their thoughts on that. Then it may be more realistic of what to expect.

Yeah.... It's an interactive ride. If you're not interacting with it, you are missing most of the experience. People judging it off YouTube videos were already jumping at the chance to knock it before it opened, so really what do their opinions matter anyway?

Interesting take:

This LA Times article also adds some new perspective: this new land/experience/campus is really geared toward character interactions. These have already proven to be immensely popular at the parks, with the whole corner of Hollywoodland basically exhibiting this concept for years.

As someone who doesn't really "get" the whole character and entertainment thing, I can accept and respect that this isn't an area really geared toward me, but I am not going to be foolish enough to think it won't be successful.

I actually preferred the 2nd incarnation more than the Florida original. Much better pacing and more of a focus on the ghost story rather than the TV show. Florida is superior in terms of facade and queue, but for the actual ride experience, it was DCA's hands down for me. My girlfriend had the same reaction when I took her to Florida a few years back.

Yeah, me too. I always found the 5th Dimension room awkward and clunky. It breaks up the attraction in the worst possible way. Having the lateral movement at the end and beginning was a much better design.

britain

This is one of the worst rides I've ever seen. Supposedly the music is licensed from Sony and dumb corporate issues require a "B-mode" free of Sony copyright for official Disney purposes (media day). I'm curious what the final ride will look like w/ the soundtrack and (presumed) banter from Spiderman to narrate the ride.

Not that a soundtrack or narration is fixing this mess. No one expected Disney to build anything as good as Universal's ride. But they didn't even top the Justice League ride at Magic Mountain.

What an embarrassment.

And yet the Sony music appears in the preshow?

el_super

I was reading a review and they said the on board audio was not on during the preview.

And yet the Sony music appears in the preshow?

There are a couple videos out there (I think one was posted here) where you can *barely* hear the narration and music. If these are being played through the small speakers embedded in the seat, they would be really hard to pick up on video without holding the phone to your face.

But it's also possible they turned off the music so that reporters/youtubers could narrate their experience for video.

lazyboy97o

This LA Times article also adds some new perspective: this new land/experience/campus is really geared toward character interactions. These have already proven to be immensely popular at the parks, with the whole corner of Hollywoodland basically exhibiting this concept for years.

As someone who doesn't really "get" the whole character and entertainment thing, I can accept and respect that this isn't an area really geared toward me, but I am not going to be foolish enough to think it won't be successful.
Success though won’t prevent these character interactions from always having a target on their backs.

Rich Brownn

I actually preferred the 2nd incarnation more than the Florida original. Much better pacing and more of a focus on the ghost story rather than the TV show. Florida is superior in terms of facade and queue, but for the actual ride experience, it was DCA's hands down for me. My girlfriend had the same reaction when I took her to Florida a few years back.
the California version has no real build up in the ride. *boom* you're in the drop shaft. Everything in Florida was designed to keep building a sense of unease ,, from the pre-show, to the red lights and low throbbing bass in the boiler room, to the "rickety" elevators and then the whole 5th dimension sequence (even if it was unfinished) leading to that spectacular wash of "stars" opening up into blackness and then a pause in total darkness.... and then the drop

SoCalDisneyLover

This land just doesn’t feel complete. Spider man would be great if there another attraction in the land. We need a phase two ASAP!! The avengers building looks sad without a attraction.
It's going to be 2 or 3 years before there's another attraction. Probably 3, since the next attraction at the Resort they plan to open is M&M's Runaway Railroad, and that's not until 2023. I realize that's at DL, but Disney would not open 2 Major attractions in the same year.

My prediction is Summer 2024 before another ride at Avenger's Campus.

britain

But it's also possible they turned off the music so that reporters/youtubers could narrate their experience for video.

YES DING DING 🛎 - This is the only answer that makes sense. The desire for clean vlogger reaction audio.

Not that there’s been a lot of “WOW! This is fantastic! You guys have got to try this!!!” reactions in the vlogs so far…

AEfx

Not impressed at all so far. I think Universal was much more successful in bringing the comic book world to life.
If I were Disney I would be embarrassed to put this product out there when Universal did it so much better more than two decades ago now. It comes off as a cheap knock-off. If you had told me this was at some regional Six Flags park, I would have believed you.

el_super

Success though won’t prevent these character interactions from always having a target on their backs.

Oh definitely. Like I said, I don't get the enjoyment out of waiting an hour to have my picture taken with a guy who kinda looks like a guy I saw in a movie once. I don't get the same satisfaction of posting the picture on social media to prove to all my friends that I am somehow superior to them, because I was able to go to Disneyland.

But some people do. And since Disneyland is the most instagram'd place on earth, there's probably a lot more people wanting that experience than the one I normally go for. I am OK accepting that not everyone has to experience the park the same way I do, or get the same enjoyment out of it, and the last thing I want to do is be the typical internet gatekeeper.

the California version has no real build up in the ride. *boom* you're in the drop shaft. Everything in Florida was designed to keep building a sense of unease ,, from the pre-show, to the red lights and low throbbing bass in the boiler room, to the "rickety" elevators and then the whole 5th dimension sequence (even if it was unfinished) leading to that spectacular wash of "stars" opening up into blackness and then a pause in total darkness.... and then the drop

Yeah but the transition into the "5th Dimension" destroys the value of the actual effect. It's like a magician stopping midway through a trick to try to explain why it's so cool.

britain

If I were Disney I would be embarrassed to put this product out there when Universal did it so much better more than two decades ago now. It comes off as a cheap knock-off. If you had told me this was at some regional Six Flags park, I would have believed you.

I disagree. It comes off as a high-quality version of a more modest, more commonly attempted-at-amusement-parks attraction.

Welcome to Paris’s Temple of Peril. What, you wanted DL’s Jeep ride? Sorry, they weren’t going for that. It doesn’t mean they failed.

(And it definitely doesn’t mean they should be embarrassed. How on earth are we going to get our children to not fear failure if we keep equating failure with embarrassment?)

lazyboy97o

Even worse, the WDI Park Creative Executive for Disney’s California Adventure is Scott Trowbridge who worked on The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man.

999th Happy Haunt

45195419-9116-4F84-BF46-09140C820BAF.jpeg

lazyboy97o

I disagree. It comes off as a high-quality version of a more modest, more commonly attempted-at-amusement-parks attraction.

Welcome to Paris’s Temple of Peril. What, you wanted DL’s Jeep ride? Sorry, they weren’t going for that. It doesn’t mean they failed.

(And it definitely doesn’t mean they should be embarrassed. How on earth are we going to get our children to not fear failure if we keep equating failure with embarrassment?)
Failure from genuine effort shouldn’t be embarrassing. Phoning it in should be.

britain

Failure from genuine effort shouldn’t be embarrassing. Phoning it in should be.

Sure, and the only thing that looks debatably phoned in is the decision over ticket level, or poor choice about music (can’t really be determined by these videos at this time). I can’t get over how high-quality the set dressings all over the queue look. I’ve seen “industrial” and “techy” at Six Flags, and it looks like non-designed puke. The Imagineers tasked with carrying out these orders did a very admirable, beautiful job!

(For contrast, I think the Imagineers tasked with making Pixar Pier did not.)

It simply might not have been made with people like you in mind. And that’s okay 👍🏻

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom