Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

waltography

What's interesting with this comment, and others like it, is that we're completely ignoring Mickey's Philharmagic at DCA. Or the cheaper, smaller, less impressive version of Mickey's Philharmagic that DCA has.

Is that still operating? Or did it already close?

Or was it done so cheaply and less impressively that no one cares about it by 2021?

Full Disclosure: My point of reference for Mickey's Philharmagic is Tokyo Disneyland. And it's done so brilliantly there, and maintained so immaculately, that it's literally breathtaking. Especially when the theater disappears entirely. DCA's smaller, shoehorned, cheaped out version is just so... sad.
It's still there, and it even got the wonderful Coco scene added to it. Philharmagic is my go-to "sit in a dark theater and chill out for 10 minutes" show. Even in its kneecapped version it's still entertaining, but I do long for the fully plussed show to come over here because I'm sure the full wrap around effect is amazing.

It's not pretty the way they do it in DCA, but I doubt investing more money into it will increase the crowds substantially since the locals-heavy crowd here doesn't seem to come out in droves for theater shows that aren't live.

DrAlice

Latest mice chat article said that it is now showing an Immortals trailer. I'm not sure if that is in addition to philharmagic or instead of it.

Sailor310

ITTBAB was a one and done for me. I think I was traumatized at a young age by the whole show that I refused to even acknowledge it existed. 😂

I love the Animation Building; it's one of the very few bright spots of DCA 1.0.
Even as a very mature adult, I would cringe every time the 'bugs walked out' and the rollers would run over your seat and dread when the 'hornets attacked' and something (air jets?) poked you in the back.

D.Silentu

Ah, but because of those elements I delighted in bringing unsuspecting friends to the show, where they provided me with a new sort of entertainment! Joking aside, it was a great 3D show and the rest of early DCA made it feel like a classic by comparison.

TP2000

Latest mice chat article said that it is now showing an Immortals trailer. I'm not sure if that is in addition to philharmagic or instead of it.

Thank you. According to the website, it still exists as an attraction.

Movie Preview. Cheaped-Out Version Of Original Attraction.

It doesn't sound like it's much of anything right now, to be honest.

Sailor310

Ah, but because of those elements I delighted in bringing unsuspecting friends to the show, where they provided me with a new sort of entertainment! Joking aside, it was a great 3D show and the rest of early DCA made it feel like a classic by comparison.
Didn't they call it 4D? They had the smell from the stink bugs, the water spray, the rolling sensation on your but and the sharp pokes in your back.

Professortango1

What's interesting with this comment, and others like it, is that we're completely ignoring Mickey's Philharmagic at DCA. Or the cheaper, smaller, less impressive version of Mickey's Philharmagic that DCA has.

Is that still operating? Or did it already close?

Or was it done so cheaply and less impressively that no one cares about it by 2021?

Full Disclosure: My point of reference for Mickey's Philharmagic is Tokyo Disneyland. And it's done so brilliantly there, and maintained so immaculately, that it's literally breathtaking. Especially when the theater disappears entirely. DCA's smaller, shoehorned, cheaped out version is just so... sad.
I saw Philharmagic in MK a few years back for the first time and...I was a bit bored. Maybe I had been told how amazing it was so much that it couldn't live up the buzz.

Now, Tough to Be a Bug...that was fly! No pun intended. The use of animatronics, theatre effects, and the overall design. That was one of my must-rides each visit to DCA. With that, TOT, and Aladdin being gone...I just don't find enough at DCA to justify buying a park hopper ticket.

MarvelCharacterNerd

A land that relies on characters instead of great attractions is of no interest to me.
And a park that's filled with thrill rides is of no interest to me.

DCA for the last decade, however, has been my fave place to spend the majority of my park time because of the shows and characters. I almost never go on any attractions there and still could fill the day - when the characters are out and shows are being performed.

#differentstrokes

EPCOTCenterLover

And a park that's filled with thrill rides is of no interest to me.

DCA for the last decade, however, has been my fave place to spend the majority of my park time because of the shows and characters. I almost never go on any attractions there and still could fill the day - when the characters are out and shows are being performed.

#differentstrokes
Agreed- but by great attractions I did not necessarily mean thrill rides or exclusively thrill rides.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Agreed- but by great attractions I did not necessarily mean thrill rides or exclusively thrill rides.
Of course - IMO Fantasyland is filled with great attractions, none of which are thrill rides (unless you consider Dumbo flying high lol). But that's basically what DCA offers - thrill rides. I can literally only think of four attractions in DCA I would ride - Soarin Over CA (not always available and generally won't wait in the long line), Web Slingers (quite enjoy it but not waiting in standby line for it), Monsters Inc. (happy to hop on whenever I'm there with friends as I find it a delightful dark ride) and Little Mermaid which I only do if dragged on by friends. So yeah, like DHS, which I also really enjoy and never go on rides there - it's a show and character park which is fine by me. I do attractions more at the castle parks, though often spend entire days never going on rides and just enjoying shows and characters there, too!

TP2000

At that they did! I had forgotten the moniker, but with all of the in theater effects it was a well earned designation.

I'm not an expert on the DHS version, but I don't remember them ever calling it that at DCA. It was always "3D", and I think the only change to the title was when they later dropped the "Jim Henson's" tag off of the title.

This is the opening ceremony for the show at DCA in February, 2001.

MV3D-DCA-0020-103.jpg

But honestly, how much do we all miss Cynthia Harriss? So fabulously fake! So perfectly phony! And I'm loving that 2001 spunky teased hairdo she had for DCA's big grand opening week. My, how the mighty fell. We never saw her again, even though she pretended to care so much. So, so much.

0010-103.jpg

D.Silentu

Actually, I thought we were talking about the Bugs Life show and now that I think more on it I don't remember '4D' in the title of that either, though it certainly qualified.

MarvelCharacterNerd

So apparently someone figured out that having the bulk of the shows happening all at the same time during the afternoon with nothing happening at night means even less reason for people to visit the Campus at night. So some of the show schedules are being played with to run later into the evening. They're still working the kinks out as this is a new switch-up, so the app times may not be totally accurate at the moment.

But the ones that are accurate show the Guardians Dance-Off running later into the evening, along with Five & Dime on Buena Vista St. getting later shows. This is a good thing in general, but right now, all the holiday entertainment is going on throughout DCA, so I'm not sure it helps much to make this change now. But it's nice to see them recognizing when things need to be adjusted for the sake of the guests!

But personally, I think the Doctor Strange show should only run in the evenings as it's so much better when you can see the glowing light effects rather than in the daytime when you can't!

MarvelCharacterNerd

I hope they announce phase 2 sooner than later, when they build that ride the land will feel much more complete
Does GE feel complete? It has 2 rides - a D ticket and an E ticket. And the land is still depressing and empty IMO. Characters and entertainment are what fill the dead space. And there is dead space in both of these lands that no number of E tickets will fill.

Regardless, it'll still take years to add a new attraction whenever they finally approve the concept (as the Wakanda idea will no doubt be impacted by Chadwick's passing). So they need to fill in the blanks in the meantime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom