Avengers Campus: E-Watch! (Waiting on the new ride)

mickEblu

Good to know that the attraction delivers. However, I still can't see how that ride system could be applied to the Avengers. That is, unless they're sending us to outer space for some reason.

Do you really want another trackless ride? I mean that’s what it would be if we’re lucky enough not to get a simulator. I’m good with ROTR and MMRR. And the odds are this Marvel dark ride wouldn’t be anywhere near as good as ROTR. I’d rather have Encanto be the next (thrill limiting) trackless ride and the next coaster be Marvel. It makes sense if you kind of take a step back and view it all from a Birds Eye view resort wide and factor in what new attractions/IP they re probably considering.

Encanto, Zootopia, BATB, Frozen and/or insert any IP can be a trackless ride. To not use Marvel or Star Wars for the next coaster at DLR would be a big miss. A big coaster/ E ticket only come around so often.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

from experience of actually riding it, the videos dont do it justice. The screens are massive and clear, there are a lot of them and the music and overall experience is pretty great.
I love Cosmic Rewind but I’m afraid a “coaster on par with” actually means a clone. That’s great for those who only go to DL but monotonous for those of us who like to visit WDW too.

I’m ok with similar rides, I just hope it isn’t a clone. The rumor of a Captain America motorcycle version of Tron sounded great, the rumor of a Marvel version of Flight of Passage sounded great, I just hope whatever we get is unique enough it doesn’t feel repetitive.

I really enjoy runaway railway but the fact I can enjoy it regularly at DL means there’s one less ride to look forward to at HS, a park we already struggle to spend a day at because there’s so little for us to do as DL regulars that we haven’t done 100 times at DL.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I love Cosmic Rewind but I’m afraid a “coaster on par with” actually means a clone. That’s great for those who only go to DL but monotonous for those of us who like to visit WDW too.

I’m ok with similar rides, I just hope it isn’t a clone. The rumor of a Captain America motorcycle version of Tron sounded great, the rumor of a Marvel version of Flight of Passage sounded great, I just hope whatever we get is unique enough it doesn’t feel repetitive.

I really enjoy runaway railway but the fact I can enjoy it regularly at DL means there’s one less ride to look forward to at HS, a park we already struggle to spend a day at because there’s so little for us to do as DL regulars that we haven’t done 100 times at DL.
Highly doubt that it'll be a direct clone (meaning also same theme) if this rumor is correct. There is already a Guardians themed attraction not more than a 100 ft from where this attraction will be. So if it is using Cosmic Rewind coaster ride system it will surely be with a different theme. And as we know there are already many cloned ride systems with different themes between the two resorts that they still are unique experiences.

So whatever its going to be one thing I'm pretty sure of is it won't be another Guardians themed attraction, even if they use the ride system from one.

Phroobar

Highly doubt that it'll be a direct clone (meaning also same theme) if this rumor is correct. There is already a Guardians themed attraction not more than a 100 ft from where this attraction will be. So if it is using Cosmic Rewind coaster ride system it will surely be with a different theme. And as we know there are already many cloned ride systems with different themes between the two resorts that they still are unique experiences.

So whatever its going to be one thing I'm pretty sure of is it won't be another Guardians themed attraction, even if they use the ride system from one.
Build Cosmic Rewind and turn the Tower back in to the Tower of Terror. Everyone happy.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Build Cosmic Rewind and turn the Tower back in to the Tower of Terror. Everyone happy.
Given that its part of Avenger's Campus there is no chance it goes back to Tower of Terror theme. If it changes theme it would be Marvel related, someone suggested Sanctum Santorum themed at one point.

Also there is no reason why it can't stay the Collector's Fortress with new "exhibits" that aren't the Guardians.

J4546

I would rather a new ride system, I wanna know what that original concept of the quinjet that broke apart and then you all have jetpacks looking ride system was gonna be. A water based ride would be great as I think DCA could use another but that wouldnt work in AC so prob not gonna happen lol

D.Silentu

Do you really want another trackless ride? I mean that’s what it would be if we’re lucky enough not to get a simulator. I’m good with ROTR and MMRR. And the odds are this Marvel dark ride wouldn’t be anywhere near as good as ROTR. I’d rather have Encanto be the next (thrill limiting) trackless ride and the next coaster be Marvel. It makes sense if you kind of take a step back and view it all from a Birds Eye view resort wide and factor in what new attractions/IP they re probably considering.

Encanto, Zootopia, BATB, Frozen and/or insert any IP can be a trackless ride. To not use Marvel or Star Wars for the next coaster at DLR would be a big miss. A big coaster/ E ticket only come around so often.
Honestly, I might, depending on the quality. However, I agree that what we've seen from trackless rides doesn't really do the superhero genre justice. My issue is that I haven't seen roller coasters that can accomplish that either. Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure is probably the closest thing I've observed to a satisfying template. Yet much like Grizzly River Run, which is devoid of animals arguably because you go too fast to see them, I find that most coasters are great at being coasters but not story driven attractions. Other ride systems have more potential to capture the superhero experience.

I would be thrilled to be proven wrong though! Quoting myself, my coaster criteria is, "well themed, the ride vehicle contextualized, excitingly laid out track, and more on the ride portion than simply going fast," and on that last point I'm looking for more than a screen. At present that's all Avengers Campus rides are in terms of narrative. Perhaps my list is a tall order, but no matter what sort of ride they build, it needs to aspire to the post Rise Of The Resistance/Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure time we live in.

mickEblu

Honestly, I might, depending on the quality. However, I agree that what we've seen from trackless rides doesn't really do the superhero genre justice. My issue is that I haven't seen roller coasters that can accomplish that either. Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure is probably the closest thing I've observed to a satisfying template. Yet much like Grizzly River Run, which is devoid of animals arguably because you go too fast to see them, I find that most coasters are great at being coasters but not story driven attractions. Other ride systems have more potential to capture the superhero experience.

I would be thrilled to be proven wrong though! Quoting myself, my coaster criteria is, "well themed, the ride vehicle contextualized, excitingly laid out track, and more on the ride portion than simply going fast," and on that last point I'm looking for more than a screen. At present that's all Avengers Campus rides are in terms of narrative. Perhaps my list is a tall order, but no matter what sort of ride they build, it needs to aspire to the post Rise Of The Resistance/Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure time we live in.

Yeah if it’s a coaster, there is a higher chance that it falls short in the story category but I’d take this risk over the ride not being fun or matching the energy or franticness required for a Marvel or Star Wars attraction. ROTR works because they spent a pretty penny throwing in everything and the kitchen sink so it compensates for it being kind of lacking in thrills. And I’d still argue it falls short in terms of thrill when considering the land as a whole. ROTR shouldn’t be the most thrilling ride in your new Star Wars land.

If they’re not going to use Marvel or Star Wars for their new thrill rides, what IP will they use? Unless of course they think DLR has enough. I’d argue DLR needs a new coaster more than another trackless ride or dark ride. The last real coaster we got at Disneyland is from 1979 and at DCA in 2001. Not to mention that any Disney E ticket level coaster would be a guaranteed hit. Especially if themed to Marvel or Star Wars.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

The rumor of a Marvel version of Flight of Passage sounded great
I honestly believe that would be disastrous.

Flight of Passage is a flight of beauty. It’s not a flight of action or a flight of story.

The Avatar movies are world-driven movies, the @TP2000 metrics (oh so many) famously display that. The characters don’t matter. The plot doesn’t matter. It’s the world that matters, and Flight of Passage captures the spirit perfectly.

I could easily marathon Flight of Passage for an entire day, and if you’ve ever rode Soarin’ Over California several times in a single day it’s similar. Riding it, the ride got better each time, because there was always something else to notice or appreciate.

In an Avenger’s ride, you should expect an action-packed sensory overload, which is great, right? Because you should always be able to notice something new, but I’d argue they’re not the same thing. Noticing a random Easter egg or comical moment isn’t the same.

With nature or a scenic visit, you’re able to appreciate something new each time, and while FoP obviously doesn’t change and is simply a simulation of nature, it still manages to accomplishes the same aspects. Because it’s driven by beauty and awe, you’re able to find a new appreciation and wonder each time. While not directly applicable, I think the lines from Pocahontas’s “Just Around the Riverband” characterizes this well:
“What I love most about rivers is
You can't step in the same river twice”

Marvel has character and story driven franchises, and nothing else. Throwing Captain America on an 100-foot screen doesn’t contribute to a great experience. Explaining a narrative of Thanos attacking a city doesn’t create a great scenic experience. Simulators are supposed to simulate motion and immerse you in the world. Featuring cameos simply detracts from the experience, because it transitions focus away from the space and scenery and onto this individual. Imagine you’re at the Grand Canyon and your favorite celebrity pops up. Sure, that may be a cool moment, but it’s just a moment. Imagine seeing them everyday, they would just become ordinary. Seeing the Grand Canyon is never ordinary. It always wonders and impresses. Sure, you may eventually take it for granted, but it will never become ordinary, it will always be extraordinary.

The Iron Man Star Tours simulator in Hong Kong, is very poor. The first ride is disappointing, with subsequent rides even more disappointing. Mindless action cannot capture an audience on repeat visits, and for an attraction meant to stand the test of time, is a poor path to trek. Star Tours works really because it varies the stories, and exploring the various planets warrants great intrigue. Star Tours has a lot of action, sure, but it’s not set in a nondescript vehicle for action.

Truly, an Avenger’s FoP would be greatly disappointing and represent a grave misunderstanding of FoP’s successes.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

I would rather a new ride system, I wanna know what that original concept of the quinjet that broke apart and then you all have jetpacks looking ride system was gonna be. A water based ride would be great as I think DCA could use another but that wouldnt work in AC so prob not gonna happen lol
I believe the Quinjet was a FoP adaptation, but instead of having the nondescript wall in front of you that retracts as the lights flash (to prevent your eyes from adjusting and seeing the wall move) you would board a Quinjet that would retract early in the ride (presumably after an attack).

Seats would be jet packs instead of banshees.

Honestly think it never came to fruition due to the decreased capacity associated with the Quinjet.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
So I was reading this on the Youtube comment section for Fresh Baked's video on the new gift shop in the Avengers HQ. One person said they talked to a GM of RSR after they were evacuated. The GM claims that Disney plans on breaking ground on the E ticket late 2023 or early 2024. They also purport that the E ticket went back to the drawing board under Iger and will now be a coaster on par with Cosmic Rewind.
Obviously, I'm going to take this with a grain of salt, but if it is true, I think that's an enormous net win for the park.

My guess is they want to bring FoP to Disneyland Resort so making an inferior Marvel version of that stellar simulator wouldn't make sense, or whatever kind of simulator they were planning most recently. DCA has too many screen rides as is, and a rethemed Cosmic Rewind would be the best coaster at Disneyland Resort by a mile, so I see why they would want that.

I also think it then allows no height-requirement family rides to be built at DCA after a headliner coaster opens, which is sorely lacking from the park.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Obviously, I'm going to take this with a grain of salt, but if it is true, I think that's an enormous net win for the park.

My guess is they want to bring FoP to Disneyland Resort so making an inferior Marvel version of that stellar simulator wouldn't make sense, or whatever kind of simulator they were planning most recently. DCA has too many screen rides as is, and a rethemed Cosmic Rewind would be the best coaster at Disneyland Resort by a mile, so I see why they would want that.

I also think it then allows no height-requirement family rides to be built at DCA after a headliner coaster opens, which is sorely lacking from the park.
The Tokyo DisneySea Peter Pan ride system originally planned for the Multiverse E ticket sounded pretty neat. Hopefully that could be used as the basis for an E ticket in Hollywoodland whenever that land gets the help it needs.

mickEblu

I honestly believe that would be disastrous.

Flight of Passage is a flight of beauty. It’s not a flight of action or a flight of story.

The Avatar movies are world-driven movies, the @TP2000 metrics (oh so many) famously display that. The characters don’t matter. The plot doesn’t matter. It’s the world that matters, and Flight of Passage captures the spirit perfectly.

I could easily marathon Flight of Passage for an entire day, and if you’ve ever rode Soarin’ Over California several times in a single day it’s similar. Riding it, the ride got better each time, because there was always something else to notice or appreciate.

In an Avenger’s ride, you should expect an action-packed sensory overload, which is great, right? Because you should always be able to notice something new, but I’d argue they’re not the same thing. Noticing a random Easter egg or comical moment isn’t the same.

With nature or a scenic visit, you’re able to appreciate something new each time, and while FoP obviously doesn’t change and is simply a simulation of nature, it still manages to accomplishes the same aspects. Because it’s driven by beauty and awe, you’re able to find a new appreciation and wonder each time. While not directly applicable, I think the lines from Pocahontas’s “Just Around the Riverband” characterizes this well:
“What I love most about rivers is
You can't step in the same river twice”

Marvel has character and story driven franchises, and nothing else. Throwing Captain America on an 100-foot screen doesn’t contribute to a great experience. Explaining a narrative of Thanos attacking a city doesn’t create a great scenic experience. Simulators are supposed to simulate motion and immerse you in the world. Featuring cameos simply detracts from the experience, because it transitions focus away from the space and scenery and onto this individual. Imagine you’re at the Grand Canyon and your favorite celebrity pops up. Sure, that may be a cool moment, but it’s just a moment. Imagine seeing them everyday, they would just become ordinary. Seeing the Grand Canyon is never ordinary. It always wonders and impresses. Sure, you may eventually take it for granted, but it will never become ordinary, it will always be extraordinary.

The Iron Man Star Tours simulator in Hong Kong, is very poor. The first ride is disappointing, with subsequent rides even more disappointing. Mindless action cannot capture an audience on repeat visits, and for an attraction meant to stand the test of time, is a poor path to trek. Star Tours works really because it varies the stories, and exploring the various planets warrants great intrigue. Star Tours has a lot of action, sure, but it’s not set in a nondescript vehicle for action.

Truly, an Avenger’s FoP would be greatly disappointing and represent a grave misunderstanding of FoP’s successes.

Agree and it’s for these reasons that I think the Marvel ride has to be a coaster. A simulator would not be ideal but neither would a trackless ride or dark ride. What Marvel world do we want to see so bad on a slow moving vehicle? How would they top ROTR with a Marvel trackless ride? Build a King Thanos the size of an AT-AT?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The original concept sounded awesome. Sad we will never get it. Did Covid stop it from ever getting off the ground?
Which one, the rumored original concept or the announced original concept?

Rumored original concept was a Capt America themed coaster.
Announced original concept was the Quinjet battle over Wakanda FOP-style attraction.

If the former it was rumored to be scrapped due to lack of capacity.
If the latter then yes part of it is pandemic related halting/cancelling of projects.

mickEblu

So what is the hourly capacity on Cosmic Rewind? Also, assuming the building for its west coast counterpart would be the same size, would this monstrous building be seen from all over the park? Of course, they could go underground a bit. I’m ok with it being seen all over AC since the land is industrial looking and kind of ugly anyway but wouldn’t want to see the large box from elsewhere in the park.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Which one, the rumored original concept or the announced original concept?

Rumored original concept was a Capt America themed coaster.
Announced original concept was the Quinjet battle over Wakanda FOP-style attraction.

If the former it was rumored to be scrapped due to lack of capacity.
If the latter then yes part of it is pandemic related halting/cancelling of projects.
I heard on Orangegrove55's channel that apparently the first of it's kind Wakanda FOP was having logistical issues in regards to getting the ride system to perform to the way Imagineers wanted it to along with capacity. Another factor was the timeline issue. The ride is set in Wakanda which depending on how the MCU went forward, could get outdated quickly espically if it gets destroyed like Asgard. The multiverse is by far easier to keep fresh and add in new characters. You can even add in animated ones like the concept art shows.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I heard on Orangegrove55's channel that apparently the first of it's kind Wakanda FOP was having logistical issues in regards to getting the ride system to perform to the way Imagineers wanted it to along with capacity. Another factor was the timeline issue. The ride is set in Wakanda which depending on how the MCU went forward, could get outdated quickly espically if it gets destroyed like Asgard. The multiverse is by far easier to keep fresh and add in new characters. You can even add in animated ones like the concept art shows.
I notice you put a lot of faith in what is said in these Youtube and Podcasts you listen to. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom