Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

socalifornian

Well it depends. Incredicoaster is an overlay to an existing outdoor coaster on a pier. A coaster in a dark show building with one scene in the beginning Before launch and one in the end (maybe middle too) with music, effects and projections along the way would be great though. You re certainly not going to get an Indy/ POTC/ HM experience with a coaster but I’d be totally cool with a Marvel coaster as described above. I won’t miss the “something went wrong, we need your help” story. With this approach, I don’t see how capacity would be an issue.
Yeah Disney’s real good about having multiple trains on the ride at once, in addition to the dual loading areas on the platform. They’ve really streamlined roller coaster efficiency. The dark ride portions could easily be one of the multiple safety points where the breaks are on the track

Jones14

Is that the direction they re going with GOTG? I hope so. I haven’t heard much about it other than the spinning coaster cars which could either be a good or a bad thing at this point.
As I understand it, the goal is to give a coaster experience first, dark ride second. They’re calling it a story coaster, but I think that’s to tout the controlled spinning (you can look at a screen for longer if you keep turning to face it as you pass) more than anything else.

mickEblu

It depends on the goal right. I'm not saying I agree with their decision, but they decided not to use a coaster for a reason. If they can do a good coaster with at least medium capacity and some show scenes I'd be all for it.

Well that’s just it. I can almost guarantee their goal is to make us feel like we re in the middle of an epic battle in a Marvel movie which means more tech, more screens and no coaster. (With they said that cousins have always been the goal as that would be absolutely impossible to accomplish with a Coaster so at some point the goal post was moved). You would think they learned their lesson from not including a thrill ride in Star Wars Land. The only thrill ride between both lands is in Hollywoodland. Go figure. If their were ever IP, where the goal needed to be fun or thrilling it would be Marvel and Star Wars. Yet here we are in 2020 and the most thrilling purpose built ride for either IP opened in 1987 in Tomorrowland.

Mac Tonight

As I understand it, the goal is to give a coaster experience first, dark ride second. They’re calling it a story coaster, but I think that’s to tout the controlled spinning (you can look at a screen for longer if you keep turning to face it as you pass) more than anything else.
I hope it comes equipped with on-board barf bags... 😦🤢🤮

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well that’s just it. I can almost guarantee their goal is to make us feel like we re in the middle of an epic battle in a Marvel movie which means more tech, more screens and no coaster. (With they said that cousins have always been the goal as that would be absolutely impossible to accomplish with a Coaster so at some point the goal post was moved). You would think they learned their lesson from not including a thrill ride in Star Wars Land. The only thrill ride between both lands is in Hollywoodland. Go figure. If their were ever IP, where the goal needed to be fun or thrilling it would be Marvel and Star Wars. Yet here we are in 2020 and the most thrilling purpose built ride for either IP opened in 1987 in Tomorrowland.
Well I personally think a simulator type attraction like Star Tours lends itself better to an action based IP like Marvel and Star Wars than a coaster does. However we'll see what happens with Cosmic Rewind at EPCOT to see if Disney can pull it off.

DanielBB8

If you been on Escape from Gringotts, you would know that the roller coaster can provide an unique experience that isn't merely a simulator. Not surprisingly, the movie has train tracks with a moving train that takes you to the vaults. The special effects were quite successful although the roller coaster itself was mild to the point of non-existent.

D.Silentu

Following my post on the previous page is an outpouring of what people would like to see rather than the announced attraction. However, as I was saying, at this point it's unfortunately questionable whether we will get anything at all. I hear the cry for thrill rides, but I'm looking for something new. An evolution of existing ride tech, granted, but something that will really stand on its own. I have my criticisms of "..Forbidden Journey," yet there are a few moments in the ride that are genuinely thrilling. Now it's ten years old and when I see Avengers concept art portraying a similar conveyance, I become very interested in how much the technology may have improved. It may be that much closer to that fabled fusion of visceral thrills and dark ride storytelling, packaged here in a hybrid simulator setting.

Phroobar

Something tells me that a coaster based around Hagrid and one based on the Avengers, would be very different experiences, and what works in one might not work for the other.

It’s all a moot point anyway though, since they pretty much confirmed they axed the coaster concept.

We’ll see what they end up doing with Guardians at Epcot.
It's not a moot point because it proves your point is wrong. An Avengers coaster could be done with the same story telling points Hagrids has. The Mummy coaster has a story telling aspect. Even Thunder Mountain has a story telling aspect. Chase the Baby was just a lazy attempt at it. Disney could do it. Hong Kong's Grizzly mine car coaster has story telling aspects too.

Mac Tonight

It's not a moot point because it proves your point is wrong. An Avengers coaster could be done with the same story telling points Hagrids has. The Mummy coaster has a story telling aspect. Even Thunder Mountain has a story telling aspect. Chase the Baby was just a lazy attempt at it. Disney could do it. Hong Kong's Grizzly mine car coaster has story telling aspects too.
Ok. I was wrong. I’ll admit there are coasters that have good storytelling aspects. Though of all the examples you listed, I’ve only been on BTRR and I don’t find the “story” to be of any consequence. It’s a fun coaster on its own.

EPCOTCenterLover

I’d like to see them get focused on the overall experience again and less on what cool new tech they can bring. Give me Pirates or give me Space/ BTMRR. Don’t try to do too much and give me Pirates/ BTMRR/ Midway Mania because it’s too hard to execute and in the end we are better off with a more focused experience.

I think we ve hit a point for the time being where theme park attractions have more or less topped out in terms of quality and introducing mind blowing new tech while maintaining reliability. I think we are at a point where less is more. But who knows, maybe I’ll change my mjnd after riding Avatar or Mario Kart.
DCA is woefully short on classic Disney attractions a la Pirates and Haunted Mansion. This is one reason it is still a secondary park compared to DL. Give me those in addition to another simulator only if it uses Flight of Passage technology in a similar way. :) Just awesome!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
DCA is woefully short on classic Disney attractions a la Pirates and Haunted Mansion. This is one reason it is still a secondary park compared to DL. Give me those in addition to another simulator only if it uses Flight of Passage technology in a similar way. :) Just awesome!
I suspect you'll be getting the simulator using FoP tech if the announced Avengers ride actually gets built.

As for the "classic" attraction, the rumored Coco attraction idea seems like a good fit if it gets greenlit in the future.

Mac Tonight

I don’t remember if it’s been announced or not already, but on the Imagineering Instagram account they posted about the Quinjet arrival and gave us the name of the Spider-Man attraction...

WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

PSX_20200819_182813.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom