Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

J4546

i think the new land looks great! having 2 rides at the start (GoG and Spiderman) with the big 3rd ride being built later, a dr strange experience thingy, a restaurant, brewery, food carts, store, meetngreets, flying robots and whatever other scripted events happen....shaping up to be a fun addition. I know GoG has been around for a while (years really considering ToT) but it is obviously a part of the avengers campus

October82

i think the new land looks great! having 2 rides at the start (GoG and Spiderman) with the big 3rd ride being built later, a dr strange experience thingy, a restaurant, brewery, food carts, store, meetngreets, flying robots and whatever other scripted events happen....shaping up to be a fun addition. I know GoG has been around for a while (years really considering ToT) but it is obviously a part of the avengers campus

I don't think GotG really fits thematically, aesthetically or geographically in Marvel land. It's clear they didn't have a plan for the land when they axed ToT for it.

I'd also be really surprised if we ever see a third attraction at this point.

mickEblu

I know GoG has been around for a while (years really considering ToT) but it is obviously a part of the avengers campus

Obviously. The fact that it’s facing away and completely different colors than the rest of the land really tie it all in together. TOT was more sympatico with Bugs Land then GOTG:MB is with the actual land it’s supposed to be in.

smooch

Looking at the "IP Land" concept, it's so funny to me that Universal's Harry Potter Land and their upcoming Super Nintendo Land are better than efforts by Disney, who was once the king of themed entertainment.

Pandora is great, but the mega franchises Star Wars and The Avengers opened with ugly looking scenery and one mediocre ride amidst shops and restaraunts.

Cars I guess would be their only other good attempt at a land (although it has too much wasted space and takes up a huge foot print for no reason).

Is the common denominator that Cars had an advocate for making it good (Lasseter) and Pandora had an advocate as well (Cameron)? Maybe Disney on their own will just cheap out and needs someone continually yelling at them to just make something nice?

Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley were incredible when I went to Orlando last year, and I'm not even a Harry Potter fan. It was so fun to see people with their wands going around casting "magic" that wasn't activated by playing a dumb game on your iPhone inside a theme park. And the effects were practical and interesting, not just lights and beeping noises. And the theming was even better that what Disney has come up with recently because they don't consider the land "canon" and limit themselves to certain choices just to make a claim I'll never understand that you get to be within the real universe of Avatar or Star Wars when you're inside a theme park as a tourist.

Cars Land is the best single IP land in my opinion in any park, yes it is really big but it is something DCA desperately needs. Aside from Grizzly Peak DCA is a pretty ugly park and Cars Land is an IP that meshes with the whole California theme while incorporating an appropriate IP. The E-Ticket is really fun, I haven't tried the other ride before, and while there are still a decent amount of shops and restaurants / snack vendors for you to spend money on there are characters going through the land. How can Disney have multiple Cars driving through the land giving kinetic energy and sounds to the area which I can only imagine are more expensive than having some alien walkaround characters / droids roaming GE. Pandora doesn't have the ability to make Na'vi walk through the land so we just get that one guy that walks around in the mech suit while we have normal humans that practice Na'vi traditions like the drum show or whatever, it's a disconnect when there is literally only one physical Na'vi in the entire beautiful land and it's at the end of the supplemental ride of the land.

It seems like Disney left to its own devices will just cheap out and create poorer quality lands and rides when there isn't an external force making them create something better like you said with Cameron and Lasseter and even OLC for Tokyo Disneyland Resort (Disney Sea). It makes me really sad to see that Disney has honestly fallen from grace within the recent years with so many cheap overlays / attractions aside from Rise of the Resistance which has incredibly limited capacity and breaks down incredibly often (I know it's new and needs to work the kinks out but it's amazing how unreliable and low capacity the ride has been) inside of a land that lacks so much to make it feel like a real Disney land.

lazyboy97o

Looking at the "IP Land" concept, it's so funny to me that Universal's Harry Potter Land and their upcoming Super Nintendo Land are better than efforts by Disney, who was once the king of themed entertainment.

Pandora is great, but the mega franchises Star Wars and The Avengers opened with ugly looking scenery and one mediocre ride amidst shops and restaraunts.

Cars I guess would be their only other good attempt at a land (although it has too much wasted space and takes up a huge foot print for no reason).

Is the common denominator that Cars had an advocate for making it good (Lasseter) and Pandora had an advocate as well (Cameron)? Maybe Disney on their own will just cheap out and needs someone continually yelling at them to just make something nice?
The Wizarding World has also had strong advocates in Rowling and Warner Bros. The original concepts for Hparry Potter was barely a redressing of Merlinwood. Super Nintendo World similarly has a strong advocate in Nintendo.

ToTBellHop

The Wizarding World has also had strong advocates in Rowling and Warner Bros. The original concepts for Hparry Potter was barely a redressing of Merlinwood. Super Nintendo World similarly has a strong advocate in Nintendo.
And that’s how the same company that gives us Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey also gives us the Fast and the Furious ride.

waltography

I mean, last time they did it they added way more to it and we got quite a few animatronics out of it including one of the best in Orlando. It really shows that there was a totally different mindset when bringing over Kong vs. bringing over F&F.

Fair enough. I still have my problems with Skull Island as a screen-based attraction that's lacking on pacing among other thing, but I concede it's the best they could do given the original attraction and the Kong animatronic is fantastic.

It’s still a ride. A very terrible ride at that, but factually, it is a ride.

I agree. It's a motion simulator - whether it's a good one or not is up for debate, but it's a simulator in the vein of Star Tours.

waltography

It for sure doesn't have the same range of motion as Star Tours, but it's obviously on a motion base with visuals synced to the movement. It's a motion simulator.

I'm not defending the quality of the ride - as part of the Studio Tour it's a nice enough experience that's aged rather poorly, on it's own it's about the same if not worse - but Kong and F&F are rides.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyle’s Dad Sent Me

Everyone loves to say Universal is beating Disney at their own game and that’s sometimes true (mostly just Potter and hopefully now Nintendo). But Universal has had arguably more laughable duds last few years. F&TF: Supercharged, Race through New York with Jimmy Fallon, the mediocre Jurassic World update where AA dinosaurs were replaced with blank walls and TVs with Bryce Dallas Howard, and my favorite: The TODAY Show Cafe.

George Lucas on a Bench

Everyone loves to say Universal is beating Disney at their own game and that’s sometimes true (mostly just Potter and hopefully now Nintendo). But Universal has had arguably more laughable duds last few years. F&TF: Supercharged, Race through New York with Jimmy Fallon, the mediocre Jurassic World update where AA dinosaurs were replaced with blank walls and TVs with Bryce Dallas Howard, and my favorite: The TODAY Show Cafe.

Yes, of course those are atrocious, although I'm less concerned about a restaurant. Disney's terrible shipping container restaurant anyone?

19_Skull-Island-Reign-Of-Kong.jpg

When was the last time DLR got a new attraction that looked this cool?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom